Oldest Child Club

Ranryu

47 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

That same sister is plowing through Reckoners now, and she really wants to read stormlight.

I'll give her WoK once a certain @InfiniteInsanity finishes it and returns my copy...

I'm working on! I want your sister to read it too!

Just now, Gregorio said:

*Screams*

All jokes aside, I'm a very different middle child. I don't consider myself annoying anymore. I'm not a "typical" middle child and my siblings don't have to spray me with water. :lol: 

oOOoooOoOooOOOoo.... yOU're nOt LiKe oTher miDDLE CHilDRen.... YOu'Re diFFERent...

lol jk. but honestly... i feel like most siblings think they are unlike their stereotypes, and that's because all families are different. my siblings do not generally fit into stereotypes either, and i don't as well (but in a bad way, i have all the bad older sibling traits but non of the good ones ;-;). i just think everyone is to different for the stereotypes to be such a big deal.

but good for you for not getting sprayed loll

8 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

*sprays with water*

Oh hey do y'all want to hear an awful and messed up but also hilarious story?

So when i was 12, my brother was at peak annoying. so  i started doing this this where i would play All Star and then squirt him with water whenever he was being annoying. and then i just had to start playing All Star for him to stop being annoying and run away. i psychologically conditioned him to respond to All Star. it was totally messed up, i know, but i was 12 and it was really really funny.

(dw i stopped doing it)

This is actually amazing but kinda awful too. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel so recognized! Thank you for making this group. It makes me feel validated for the struggle I face EVERY. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE. 

May I join your quest of helping the members of this, unappreciated group, be made whole again?

Edited by TheAlpha929

On 1/25/2023 at 0:03 PM, Szeth's Facepalm said:

oOOoooOoOooOOOoo.... yOU're nOt LiKe oTher miDDLE CHilDRen.... YOu'Re diFFERent...

lol jk. but honestly... i feel like most siblings think they are unlike their stereotypes, and that's because all families are different. my siblings do not generally fit into stereotypes either, and i don't as well (but in a bad way, i have all the bad older sibling traits but non of the good ones ;-;). i just think everyone is to different for the stereotypes to be such a big deal.

but good for you for not getting sprayed loll

Nope. I feel entirely like my “sibling stereotype”

3 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

I feel so recognized! Thank you for making this group. It makes me feel validated for the struggle I face EVERY. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE. 

May I join your quest of helping the members of this, unappreciated group, be made whole again?

Hiya! Wanna tell us about your trauma?

Being the oldest sucks sometimes. Case in point: Marvel movies. 

I was not allowed to see any Marvel movies until I was 14, which I thought was a little unfair. Now, my 12 year old sister is allowed to see all of the Marvel movies. I'm not exceptionally mad about that because her age seems reasonable. My 10 year old sister has seen Guardians of the Galaxy, which isn't too violent or anything so I'm not all that mad about it either. But this weekend I had a friend over and we decided to watch Captain America: Civil War, which is imo the darkest and most violent MCU movie to date. We decided to let my 12 year old sister and her friend watch it with us because why not. But now apparently my parents are completely fine with not only my 10 year old sister watching it but also my 6 year old brother and 3 year old sister. WHAT. They can't see Harry Potter 4 because it's too scary and violent but watching super heroes try to kill each other is fine?!? Especially when they have their own perfectly good movie (Big Hero 6) playing upstairs. 

It's just honestly ridiculous

3 hours ago, Morningtide said:

I was not allowed to see any Marvel movies until I was 14, which I thought was a little unfair. Now, my 12 year old sister is allowed to see all of the Marvel movies. I'm not exceptionally mad about that because her age seems reasonable. My 10 year old sister has seen Guardians of the Galaxy, which isn't too violent or anything so I'm not all that mad about it either. But this weekend I had a friend over and we decided to watch Captain America: Civil War, which is imo the darkest and most violent MCU movie to date. We decided to let my 12 year old sister and her friend watch it with us because why not. But now apparently my parents are completely fine with not only my 10 year old sister watching it but also my 6 year old brother and 3 year old sister. WHAT. They can't see Harry Potter 4 because it's too scary and violent but watching super heroes try to kill each other is fine?!? Especially when they have their own perfectly good movie (Big Hero 6) playing upstairs. 

YES!!!!!!!

I get so annoyed with my parents because of that exact reason!

I'm not going to get more involved in this because I'll end up with an extensive rant, but suffice it to say, I understand your pain

13 minutes ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

YES!!!!!!!

I get so annoyed with my parents because of that exact reason!

I'm not going to get more involved in this because I'll end up with an extensive rant, but suffice it to say, I understand your pain

I tried to rep this but I'm out :( I feel for you

On 3/1/2023 at 10:49 AM, Cone Slice said:

Soooooooooooooo my brother is starting to read Stormlight for the first time, and he's only 11. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:29 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

My sister read all of Mistborn Era 1 and she's only 11.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:38 AM, Ranryu said:

Potato snuck Warbreaker when she was 12. It was the first cosmere book I didn't have to cram down her throat.

You guys are so lucky : /. My nearly 13 yo brother hates reading and won’t even try Alcatraz :((((.

Don’t worry though! I have a plan. It’s called The Diagram and if you saw all that scheming in    the YKYASW thread then you don’t have to read this short summary. If not, go ahead… if you dare!!

sooooooo, previously mentioned brother doesn’t like reading buuuut he does like to consume the stories via me reading to him. At the moment I am reading Percy Jackson to him and he “will not under any circumstances” start Alcatraz until I finish reading that to him. Once I do finish he has promised to read (or have me read to him) the Alcatraz series, However as anyone who has read those books can tell you it is better to read them physically as some jokes are only on the paper or you physically need the book to understand (spelling jokes, the last page thing, the visual gags with words, the way things are printed, digs at previous cover inaccuracies etc.) Because of this I need to figure out a way to get him to physically read it. My plan is an audiobook read along. He doesn’t usually like audiobooks but I think I can convince him (I have my ways) Once he has consumed that and now loves books and Sanderson (I have backups if this doesn’t work) I will move him on to other things, namely The Emperors Soul. It is a great show of Sanderson’s skills while also being fairly short and not too hard to ingest. My plan continues with lending him mistborn before the final blow, revealing the Cosmere.  I really hope it works!!!!

Edited by Cinnamon

On 2/6/2023 at 10:22 AM, Morningtide said:

I will admit that the Harry Potter Movies, specifically the 4th one kept me up at night when I was 6 because voldemorts odd fetus re-birth was scary lol.

That makes sense. I also have a lot harder time getting scared from movies and things than I used to. Although stuff like the part in WoK where Shallan can only see the cryptics through her drawings was genuinely terrifying