Please give me some horror movie reccomendations

Elf

Hello! I would very much so like some horror movie reccomendations. Please keep in mind that I am 15 years old and I am also a scaredy cat. (So think, conjuring. Not midsommar)

But as Kaladin rode a horse to get over his fear I shall also watch horror movies to get over my fear.

Thank you.

Hm, Conjuring yes but Midsommar no...

Let the Right One In is great (the original one from Sweden; the American remake Let Me In was also good, but less so, I thought). Sinister was another that I liked a lot, and one I group with The Conjuring in my mind. Cabin in the Woods may not quite count, but is worthwhile if you're in a horror movie mood.

I also really liked Hereditary, though the closing sequence might be more intense than you're looking for.

Edited by Returned

Cabin in the Woods and Severance (2007) are both fun takes on some classic horror tropes.  

Tremors is a classic if you are too young to have discovered the awesome.  Started as a proper monster flick and evolved into one of the cheesiest franchises of all time.  

Some of the classic Steven King is worth the time, Im partial to the original Firestarter.

One should always have John Carpenter's The Thing on their list, even if you decide to wait until you are more ready! 

I really liked the 70s Hellhouse movie, but don't quite recall the title.

You can also consider watching the first entries in classic horror franchises: Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw, etc. and ignore the rest because they are kinda garbage. That would also give you the background you need if you ever wanted to watch Scream.

Killer Clowns from Outer Space is really fun. 

Alien and Aliens. The others are fine to garbage.

Predator, while we're looking into the scifi-horror side of things. 

I hear Kubrick's The Shining is a classic, but I haven't watched it yet. I've also heard Doctor Sleep is great. 

Consider Annihilation. Having a great sound system is essential to get the most out of it. It also strays faaaar from the book, so it won't ruin the book for you. 

I'll leave it at that for now. 

For a movie that's not too scary but very interesting and thought-provoking while still being very digestible, I recommend The Others.

For older movies I second The Thing (the 1982 one - although it feels more like a thriller for me), Alien, and to an extent The Shining (1980 - the 80s were an amazing decade for horror), but that one is really creepy, in contrast to the others I mentioned, which are comparatively tame.

The Disney film Watcher in the Woods is atmospherically terrifying, and Betty Davis is super creepy in it. I think it's a terrifying G-rated movie, which isn't easy to do.

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds is terrifying but also very tame in the gore department. 

I third @Orlion Blight and @Elegy recommendation of John Carpetener's The Thing, super scary but not graphic hortor fim. And if you watch that and like it, his movie The Fog is really good, though it does shade into kinda cheesy (but in a loveable kinda way).

I don't think there's anything explicit in it, but maybe do an internet search if you're woried about that to be sure, but the original Creepshow movie is superb. It's a series of shorts kinda like the old EC comic horror stories in the Vault of Horror or Tales from the Crypt. The final short with EG Marshall is super horrifying without any gore what so ever. 

In a similar vein, Stephen King's Cats Eye is good too. Its likewise a collection of horror shorts and the one where James Woods is quiting smoking is a classic!

I second Let the Right One In, it's great.

The original Poltergeist is more on the fun side, it has comedy even, but still really good. 

Haven't watched this one in a really long time so I might be rose-tinting it but I remember liking The Village as a kid. I don't think it's horror though. 

Ju-On is great if you don't mind a different language. Though it might be dubbed, I don't actually know. 

While we're on the subject of Japanese horror Audition is good, though really slow. Also don't know how far you're willing to go on gore but there's a scene that's extremely non-graphical, everything happens off-screen, but it still manages to be really hard to watch. 

The Fatal Frame movie wasn't too bad either, if you can find it. 

Thanks guys! I'll check these movies out. I did try Alien but I found it a bit too gory for my taste. Like I'm fine with most stuff, but not body horror so ig that's why i didnt like it