Greatowl University [Fantasy RP]

Knight of Iron

5 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Wolfson." Said Ben. "Mostly, at least - I think I have some Owlson blood, on my mother's side."

He hesitated. "So your eyes are falcon eyes? Raptor eyesight is amazing, don't the sunglasses... Get in the way a little? Though I understand not wanting to get odd looks."

You hit it on the nose with the claustrophobia. It’s why I made him have that as his greatest fear. That and the lack of choice.

“They are falcon eyes, and the sunglasses don’t do much to diminish my sight in the day, but they are a real pain at night.” Jared said, “I just don’t like everyone pointing me out and whispering about me. I’d much rather have them talk to me like you’re doing, or just leave me alone.”

“Do you have any enhanced senses or strength?” He asked.

Edited by Emery the Steelrunner

3 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“They are falcon eyes, and the sunglasses don’t do much to diminish my sight in the day, but they are a real pain at night.” Jared said, “I just don’t like everyone pointing me out and whispering about me. I’d much rather have them talk to me like you’re doing, or just leave me alone.”

“Do you have any enhanced senses or strength?” He asked.

"A little, yes. I have better hearing. Gladly, my eyes didn't get too much wolf in them - their sight is really horrible, and without the upside of the sense of smell... But I guess I digress." 

He looked thoughtful for a moment, then asked, "What course are you taking here? I went for necromancy."

1 minute ago, Trutharchivist said:

"A little, yes. I have better hearing. Gladly, my eyes didn't get too much wolf in them - their sight is really horrible, and without the upside of the sense of smell... But I guess I digress." 

He looked thoughtful for a moment, then asked, "What course are you taking here? I went for necromancy."

“I went for enchanting, I’ve heard that those who get good at it can do some cool things with the elements.” Jared said, warming up to Enshao more and more by the minute. “Did you choose necromancy so you could learn the secrets of the past, or did you want the skeleton minions?”

I’m really sorry @Trutharchivist but it is getting really late where I live, and I’ll have to go soon. :(

2 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“I went for enchanting, I’ve heard that those who get good at it can do some cool things with the elements.” Jared said, warming up to Ben more and more by the minute. “Did you choose necromancy so you could learn the secrets of the past, or did you want the skeleton minions?”

Umm... I'm going to assume you meant Ben, because Enshao is Fadran's character. And that's understandable! I was somewhat surprised to find you awake at this hour, I thought you might not be American. Hopefully, you'll read it no earlier than tomorrow morning.

"Umm... Secrets of the past, actually." Said Ben, looking a bit embarrassed. "History is something of a passion of mine... But I guess skeleton minions are useful. For more... Practical stuff."

He quickly changed the subject. "But yeah, Enchanting is cool, too! You can create some amazing items. If you're advanced enough, you can create items that can help you fly," he continued, the tips of his lips going slightly upwards. "like your clan's namesake."

2 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

“Oh, hello.” Sylvia pulled up to a halt. “I think you’re, um… in the wrong dorms?”

What's up with fumecasting? How would the students have gone about signing up for it? What do most people know and think?

@Knight of Iron @Channelknight Fadran

"Sorry Mistress," Genoro said with a slight smile. "I am not a student, I was merely delivering my mistress' items. Good day." 

Edited by The Unknown Novel

3 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

"Sorry Mistress," Genoro said with a slight smile. "I am not a student, I was merely delivering my mistress' items. Good day." 

“Oh, sorry. Well, have a good day, then.” What kind of person had a personal… butler? To set up their room for them.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

I think I'm going to introduce the possibility of a Fumeweaving class as part of the base, Enchanting 101 course. As in, Valzwyn teachers her own class, which is more advanced than enchanting, but eventually I'll have her visit the normal class and explain all the Fumeweaving stuff.

Most of Fumeweaving is up to Fadran, and I think he's still a bit in the process of nailing down exactly what it does.

Hello! I would like to join, if that's OK.

However, I was wondering one thing:

What fantasy races are allowed? This is because I would like to play some obscure races from D&D, but I don't want to break the cannon.

Wait, disregard that. I didn't see the 'Races' tab in the first post.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

If it is not too late, I would like to join the RP with the following bio.

Name: Anmil'de Eldran

Race: Elf

Magic: Mind Harvesting

Dragon/Other pet: A Sparkfinder named Camie

Worst Fear: Fear of insanity (Mind Harvesting isn't really helping, either...)

Appearance: Is 6' 1". Looks kind of like a Drow from D&D 5e. Has golden eyes that kind of look slitted. Kinda creepy in general. Wears shirts with bad math puns on them at all times.

Backstory: Came from a very... problematic family. Is using Greatowl as an excuse to get away from them. Has a decent flip phone and a ton of books. They are nonbinary.

Personality: Pretty closed off. Uses witty insults and one-liners as a way to interact socially because they don't know any other ways. Spends most of their time reading. Probably needs help.

Skills: Decently athletic (although they won't admit it), good at math. Reads pretty quickly. Can play a violin really well.

Anmil is looking for a roommate. I'm thinking Silk Hall.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

Anmil strode into Greatowl fuming. Camie was perched on their shoulder, trying to cheer Anmil up and failing miserably. Looking at the ground and muttering angrily is not conducive to paying attention to surroundings, and Anmil walked right into a wall.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

9 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Umm... Secrets of the past, actually." Said Ben, looking a bit embarrassed. "History is something of a passion of mine... But I guess skeleton minions are useful. For more... Practical stuff."

He quickly changed the subject. "But yeah, Enchanting is cool, too! You can create some amazing items. If you're advanced enough, you can create items that can help you fly," he continued, the tips of his lips going slightly upwards. "like your clan's namesake."

“Fly with the winds of freedom in your wings.” Jared muttered his clan’s old saying. He gave a wan grin. “I’m going to miss my family while I’m here; especially my Mother Sarah. They were actually the ones that recommended that I go here, and I chose to come here.” Jared said smiling fully again. “What convinced you to come here Ben?” Jared questioned.

I meant Ben, I’m sorry for the mix up. I do live in the US in Idaho. @Trutharchivist

37 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“Fly with the winds of freedom in your wings.” Jared muttered his clan’s old saying. He gave a wan grin. “I’m going to miss my family while I’m here; especially my Mother Sarah. They were actually the ones that recommended that I go here, and I chose to come here.” Jared said smiling fully again. “What convinced you to come here Ben?” Jared questioned.

"I wanted contact with the past," said Ben, "and Greatowl University is the best place for magic learning around. Both my uncle and my father learned here, my uncle learned Mind Harvesting, my father Enchanting. So, I guess I kind of followed their footsteps."

3 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

"I wanted contact with the past," said Ben, "and Greatowl University is the best place for magic learning around. Both my uncle and my father learned here, my uncle learned Mind Harvesting, my father Enchanting. So, I guess I kind of followed their footsteps."

“It’s cool that you’re following in their foot steps.” Jared said. “I’m the first of my clan to visit here in a long time.” 

@Knight of Iron, is there going to be a campus tour. That way all the characters can meet, and we can know all of the main buildings that will be in the RP.

“Do you know when the introduction tour is?” Jared asked glancing out at the campus below.

3 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“It’s cool that you’re following in their foot steps.” Jared said. “I’m the first of my clan to visit here in a long time.” 

“Do you know when the introduction tour is?” Jared asked glancing out at the campus below.

Yes, the characters are arriving the morning/afternoon/evening-ish before the Orientation Day. Once I've figured everyone's settled down enough in their rooms we'll skip to morning.

7 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

"There's an introduction tour?" Said Ben. "Um, I probably missed that part. I guess tomorrow. It's Orientation Day, isn't it?"

On 5/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, Knight of Iron said:

Tessa jumped, nearly dropping a dish, and whirled around, turning face to face with a draconic girl about her own age, with lavender hair.

"Hi!" she said nervously. "Looks like we are. Nice to meet you! I'm Tessa."

Introductions done, Ilia started to calm down a little. That was usually the hard part. Hopefully they would get along.

"So" Ilia started, walking over to Tessa and noticing the things she was unpacking "do we get our own kitchen? That would be nice."

50 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"There's an introduction tour?" Said Ben. "Um, I probably missed that part. I guess tomorrow. It's Orientation Day, isn't it?"

“I think tomorrow is orientation day. I think today was just get your dorms assigned day.” Jared said glancing around the room. “I’m feeling hungry, do you want to go grab lunch?”

2 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“I think tomorrow is orientation day. I think today was just get your dorms assigned day.” Jared said glancing around the room. “I’m feeling hungry, do you want to go grab lunch?”

Ben looked dubiously at his stomach, then at his book, and finally at Jared. He shrugged. "Why not? Though, I don't know where the dining room is. Or when they serve lunch." He looked at his watch.

4 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Ben looked dubiously at his stomach, then at his book, and finally at Jared. He shrugged. "Why not? Though, I don't know where the dining room is. Or when they serve lunch." He looked at his watch.

“I’m sure we could find it, or we could go off campus and find a restaurant” Jared said glancing outside.

@Knight of Iron are students allowed off campus, and what is the money system used?

8 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Introductions done, Ilia started to calm down a little. That was usually the hard part. Hopefully they would get along.

"So" Ilia started, walking over to Tessa and noticing the things she was unpacking "do we get our own kitchen? That would be nice."

Tessa shook her head, then pointed at the door to her bedroom. "That's just a bedroom—which I've claimed already. And over there is just another bedroom. We've only got the one kitchen, I think. Do you do much cooking?"

I wrote out a bit more info, y'all.

Dorm Rooms:

Spoiler

For RP purposes, you can just imagine the layout of each dorm room to be somewhat like such:

dorm.png.3aea9d11840384884903002191061a39.png

This picture for some reason doesn't have a fridge, so please pretend there's a fridge. Fridges are cool.

Meals:

Spoiler

As part of the tuition that was paid, there was a required meal plan that your character would've had to choose—basically you're either paying to get ALL your meals from the Dining Hall, or a minimum amount of meals from the Dining Hall per semester (or anywhere in between). You don't have to figure that out, though, y'all do what you want; just know that your characters can basically just stop by the Dining Hall, redeem a meal (with your Student ID card) and from there you've got access to the cafeteria foods for that day, buffet-style.

The Dining Hall is a significantly more ancient building than the dormitories. From the outside it's shaped like a large church, with stained glass windows and whatnot, but on the inside it'll seem a bit more like this.

cafe.JPG.c534f2ab1c75b3338eea03a3f8f265b7.JPG

But also with like a buffet-arranged table of foods that the cooking people will put out and rotate out each day.

And yes, you can go off campus instead.

Money

Spoiler

Coins:
1 copper piece = $0.05
1 silver piece = $0.25
1 gold piece = $2.50

Bills:
$1 bill
$5 bill
$10 bill
$25 bill
$50 bill
$100 bill

Credit or Debit Cards:
Yes.

Please be patient with me as I've not attended college exactly and am figuring a bunch of this out on the fly, lol. Eventually I'll get around to adding all this to the initial post, perhaps.

@Trutharchivist @Emery the Steelrunner

Edited by Knight of Iron

38 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

I wrote out a bit more info, y'all.

Dorm Rooms:

Reveal hidden contents

For RP purposes, you can just imagine the layout of each dorm room to be somewhat like such:

dorm.png.3aea9d11840384884903002191061a39.png

This picture for some reason doesn't have a fridge, so please pretend there's a fridge. Fridges are cool.

Meals:

Reveal hidden contents

As part of the tuition that was paid, there was a required meal plan that your character would've had to choose—basically you're either paying to get ALL your meals from the Dining Hall, or a minimum amount of meals from the Dining Hall per semester (or anywhere in between). You don't have to figure that out, though, y'all do what you want; just know that your characters can basically just stop by the Dining Hall, redeem a meal (with your Student ID card) and from there you've got access to the cafeteria foods for that day, buffet-style.

The Dining Hall is a significantly more ancient building than the dormitories. From the outside it's shaped like a large church, with stained glass windows and whatnot, but on the inside it'll seem a bit more like this.

cafe.JPG.c534f2ab1c75b3338eea03a3f8f265b7.JPG

But also with like a buffet-arranged table of foods that the cooking people will put out and rotate out each day.

And yes, you can go off campus instead.

Money

Reveal hidden contents

Coins:
1 copper piece = $0.05
1 silver piece = $0.25
1 gold piece = $2.50

Bills:
$1 bill
$5 bill
$10 bill
$25 bill
$50 bill
$100 bill

Credit or Debit Cards:
Yes.

Please be patient with me as I've not attended college exactly and am figuring a bunch of this out on the fly, lol. Eventually I'll get around to adding all this to the initial post, perhaps.

... Huh. So far, I kind of thought of things the way they were in my Yeshivah - a place for religious studies for Jews, for those of you who didn't know. The best option we had for dorms still had four beds in one room, plus a separate room with a table and both a washroom and a restroom included. The worse (which isn't bad, really. Plus, it's how things are in the IDF for me) was one room with two bunk beds, the washrooms and restrooms down the corridor. Oh, and there was a table.

There were better rooms for married students, I think, but I didn't go there many times. I have no idea how it'll work in a university, since I've never been to one, but maybe my expectations were too low. I will adjust accordingly - Emery, I  think that a our characters should probably sit by the table instead of the bed. Moving on, anyway...

1 hour ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“I’m sure we could find it, or we could go off campus and find a restaurant” Jared said glancing outside.

"Oh, I can't believe I forgot it! You can actually just go take a meal from the Dining Hall anytime. Though, it might be problematic to have second breakfasts. Anyway, let's go."

Ben closed his book, placed it on the table and walked out.

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Oh, I can't believe I forgot it! You can actually just go take a meal from the Dining Hall anytime. Though, it might be problematic to have second breakfasts. Anyway, let's go."

Ben closed his book, placed it on the table and walked out.

“Hey wait up!” Jared shouted. “I don’t know the way.” He closed the door behind him and ran after Ben.