Greatowl University [Fantasy RP]

Knight of Iron

3 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“Hey wait up!” Jared shouted. “I don’t know the way.” He closed the door behind him and ran after Ben.

I don't know what to do from here. I assume they might chat a bit on the way, then go eat. Should we go over all that? Or maybe skip a little?

Genoro walked down the stairs until he reached the ground floor. He stepped out the door to find his mistress looking bored. He has expected to have to separate her and her mother. "Mistress." The girl had an angry light to her eyes.

"Have all my things been delivered?" 

"Yes, mistress."

"Let's go up then."

They used the elevator to reach the top floor. Genoro accompanied Instance until they reached her room. "I am sorry, mistress, but I must leave for my own rooms now." Genoro would have to sleep in the city as servants weren't given rooms in the dorms themselves. 

"Wait, I thought you were to stay with me?"

"I am not allowed, mistress. I will meet with you daily however."

She pursed her lips. "Very well. Good day, Genoro." She entered the room and gasped at how small it was, quickly followed by another gasp when she saw someone else in the room. "I have to share this abysmally small room with someone else"

@JesterLavorre

Edited by The Unknown Novel

4 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

I would say skip to the cafeteria, unless you want to meet anyone wandering around outside. @Trutharchivist.

We would've bumped into Fadran... Except for the fact he's a few minutes behind us. So let's skip.

Ben sat near the table, eating from his plate. he had a hat on his head - covering his ears to somewhat muffle the sounds from around him.

1 minute ago, Trutharchivist said:

Ben sat near the table, eating from his plate. he had a hat on his head - covering his ears to somewhat muffle the sounds from around him.

Jared had gotten lunch and was scanning for Ben. He spotted him already sitting down at a table, and went to go sit across from him. “Nice hat.” he said sitting down.

1 minute ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

Jared had gotten lunch and was scanning for Ben. He spotted him already sitting down at a table, and went to go sit across from him. “Nice hat.” he said sitting down.

"Thanks," said Ben.

"I'd have said it functions like your sunglasses," he added, his eyes twinkling, "if not for the fact that my whole face look just as weird. And it's not its purpose; we Wolfsons never bothered hiding our nature. The old stories say that it's because of us most Wanderers preferred not to be recognized as ones, at least at first. We had... Something of a bad name."

On 5/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Enshao grabbed the doorknob, humming quietly to himself. To his surprise it was unlocked: so his roommate had arrived, then?

"Hello?"

@DramaQueen

Tuncay started, then slipped a bookmark in his book and, careful not to disturb Aspen, he stepped out of his room into the shared areas. "Hiya." He gave an awkward wave.

@Channelknight Fadran

Edited by DramaQueen

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Thanks," said Ben.

"I'd have said it functions like your sunglasses," he added, his eyes twinkling, "if not for the fact that my whole face look just as weird. And it's not its purpose; we Wolfsons never bothered hiding our nature. The old stories say that it's because of us most Wanderers preferred not to be recognized as ones, at least at first. We had... Something of a bad name."

I don’t really know much about the history of wanderers, so I’m not sure how my character should respond to that. Also I hope that you only see this tomorrow as it must be really late over in Israel. @Trutharchivist

Edited by Emery the Steelrunner

7 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

Tessa shook her head, then pointed at the door to her bedroom. "That's just a bedroom—which I've claimed already. And over there is just another bedroom. We've only got the one kitchen, I think. Do you do much cooking?"

"Ah, I see." Ilia said leaving her suitcase next to her bedroom. "I actually learned to cook recently, basic stuff at least. My family couldn't really afford the full meal plan. I'll be getting an allowance and I'm supposed to figure out how to spend it wisely and not starve. I'll still be eating in the cafeteria from time to time though. What about you? You seem to be well prepared." she said, gesturing to the stuff she was unpacking.

So there is a kitchen inside the apartment judging by the picture? Because that's kinda what I meant. Ilia went in expecting a single communal kitchen with queues and no privacy.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:35 PM, Isabelle6060 said:

Katie hopped off the bus with her many luggage bags. She never packed light. Fortunately, her dragon, Kat, was fairly strong and could carry a bag or two for her. Katie lugged her bags toward Silk Hall since that seemed to be one of the more popular buildings. 

After climbing to the top of the stairs, she found an empty room and dropped her stuff. 

Kat dropped the bags on the floor and plopped onto an empty bed. 

"Guess that bed is ours." Katie noted. "Although, we might have the whole room to ourselves if we're lucky." Katie looked around the room. "Oh, good, gosh, I brought too much stuff didn't I?"

She started unpacking.

Sorry that I'm a bit late with this reply.

Anmil walked into the room, as surly as one could be, and dumped their stuff down onto the other bed. They looked at Katie. "Oh. Hi." said Anmil. They put their dragon, Camie, onto a desk in their private room, and started unpacking. "Sorry about all of this stuff." said Anmil, nodding to their not-insignificant collection of books. "Where would you like me to put all of this?"

8 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

I don’t really know much about the history of wanderers, so I’m not sure how my character should respond to that. Also I hope that you only see this tomorrow as it must be really late over in Israel. @Trutharchivist

Ummm... What? Oh, sure, I totally didn't read this last night! I was fast asleep in my bed! blatantly lies. Seriously, though, it was about 23:00/11:00 PM. I had reasons to stay awake, which are mostly procrastination. So... Yeah. Anyway, I should probably work it out. Generally, many Wanderers hid what they are, because one of the groups that didn't - the Wolfsons - were... Unpleasant people. They believed that if you wanted something, it rightfully belonged to you. And they always acted upon this. They had something of a bad reputation, which might've stuck to the Wanderers in general. That's the excuse I gave for my original character in LGFaD for hiding his identity from people, at least.

46 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Oh, ok

“Ah,” Jared said nodding slowly, “My clan is still pretty solitary. We’re not shy, we just like privacy. We’re not like those attention seeking Paridisians.”

Am I making up to many wanderer clans?

9 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Anmil walked into the room, as surly as one could be, and dumped their stuff down onto the other bed. They looked at Katie. "Oh. Hi." said Anmil. They put their dragon, Camie, onto a desk in their private room, and started unpacking. "Sorry about all of this stuff." said Anmil, nodding to their not-insignificant collection of books. "Where would you like me to put all of this?"

Katie nodded to the empty desk next to their bed. “We each have a desk with a shelf on it. “

“So…What’s your name? Where are you from? What’s your favorite color? What’s your dragons name? You wanna be best friends?”  Katie asked eagerly. 

Realizing she forgot to introduce herself, Katie hastily added on. “Oh, I’m Katie by the way, and this over here is Kat.” Katie gestured to her bed. 

19 minutes ago, Isabelle6060 said:

Katie nodded to the empty desk next to their bed. “We each have a desk with a shelf on it. “

“So…What’s your name? Where are you from? What’s your favorite color? What’s your dragons name? You wanna be best friends?”  Katie asked eagerly. 

Realizing she forgot to introduce herself, Katie hastily added on. “Oh, I’m Katie by the way, and this over here is Kat.” Katie gestured to her bed. 

Anmil looked slightly confused. "To answer your questions in order: Anmil, please don't ask, probably turquoise, Camie, and I'd have to get to know you better." Anmil thought for a second. "Actually, seeing as we're in a single dorm room... probably?" Anmil shrugged and started to put their books on the shelf.

“Ah,” Jared said nodding slowly, “My clan is still pretty solitary. We’re not shy, we just like privacy. We’re not like those attention seeking Paridisians.”

I guess it's fine! As long as they're based off of symbolism of non-sapient creatures, and represent an idea, it's fine. I'd once upon a time have added the point of having a Cultivation effect (see my magic system, it was linked in the OP), but since all magical powers were erased, it doesn't really matter much. I'm afraid, though, that I have no idea what you mean by paridisians. It may be that I'm not a native English speaker.

16 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

"Ah, I see." Ilia said leaving her suitcase next to her bedroom. "I actually learned to cook recently, basic stuff at least. My family couldn't really afford the full meal plan. I'll be getting an allowance and I'm supposed to figure out how to spend it wisely and not starve. I'll still be eating in the cafeteria from time to time though. What about you? You seem to be well prepared." she said, gesturing to the stuff she was unpacking.

Yep, a little kitchen.

"Me? I've a little bit of experience with cooking, but it's nothing special. I'll be spending my money and using my time as wisely as I can, here. Education, after all, is an investment! And this opportunity is not one I want to miss."

8 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

I was meaning for them to be based off of birds of paradise. I was thinking that their focus was attention. @Trutharchivist

Ah. Thank you.

"Hmm... Yeah, I can see that. I might be a little outgoing, though friendship isn't my Longing." Said Ben. "But however solitary you may be... Nothing can compete with Hyenasons on that. My uncle met a couple, though they practically hate Wolfsons."

55 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Hmm... Yeah, I can see that. I might be a little outgoing, though friendship isn't my Longing." Said Ben. "But however solitary you may be... Nothing can compete with Hyenasons on that. My uncle met a couple, though they practically hate Wolfsons."

“To be fair, they practically hate everyone not in their tribe.” Jared said with a shrug. “If you don’t mind me asking what is your longing?” Jared asked “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

6 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Anmil looked slightly confused. "To answer your questions in order: Anmil, please don't ask, probably turquoise, Camie, and I'd have to get to know you better." Anmil thought for a second. "Actually, seeing as we're in a single dorm room... probably?" Anmil shrugged and started to put their books on the shelf.

“Yay” Katie jumped up and hugged Anmil. “We are gonna be the best of friends! And our dragons will be best friends too!”

Kat yawned and went back to sleep. 

”See? Kat is so excited to hang with Camie. Once you are done do you want to head to the cafeteria? Do you need help unpacking? I just got done unpacking my stuff.” 

2 hours ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“To be fair, they practically hate everyone not in their tribe.” Jared said with a shrug. “If you don’t mind me asking what is your longing?” Jared asked “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

"They don't like each other much better..." Mumbled Ben, but at the mention of his Longing he straightened up. "My Longing is... Nostalgia, I guess? The past?" He leaned forward. "It's somewhat hard to explain. See, for your clan, with your relative reclusion, it's less apparent, but... The original Wanderers, their way of life, their culture... They were all basically erased a millennia ago. We were once a proud tribe. We roamed free, taking what we saw fit, and admittedly, it wasn't that positive, but we had our own way of life. Our own language, even. Our own... Connection to higher realms, according to legends. We were actual people, completely different from the nations of human kind. We were... Wanderers.

"But now, those days are long past. Barely remembered. Most of us almost completely migrated into society. My family lives in the city, and we're seen as upstanding citizens. No regards for religion, race or gender, we are all equal. But by that, by smoothing our differences, we partly erase who we are. Who we were. And that pains me. And not only about my tribe, or Wanderers. About everyone. Draconic humans, dwarves, elves... Dragons... We're no longer what we were. And I want to change that."

Ben suddenly realized he'd been ranting and went right back to sitting straight in his chair, embarrassed. "Sorry about that." He said. "I tend to be... Excitable in relation to that."

12 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"They don't like each other much better..." Mumbled Ben, but at the mention of his Longing he straightened up. "My Longing is... Nostalgia, I guess? The past?" He leaned forward. "It's somewhat hard to explain. See, for your clan, with your relative reclusion, it's less apparent, but... The original Wanderers, their way of life, their culture... They were all basically erased a millennia ago. We were once a proud tribe. We roamed free, taking what we saw fit, and admittedly, it wasn't that positive, but we had our own way of life. Our own language, even. Our own... Connection to higher realms, according to legends. We were actual people, completely different from the nations of human kind. We were... Wanderers.

"But now, those days are long past. Barely remembered. Most of us almost completely migrated into society. My family lives in the city, and we're seen as upstanding citizens. No regards for religion, race or gender, we are all equal. But by that, by smoothing our differences, we partly erase who we are. Who we were. And that pains me. And not only about my tribe, or Wanderers. About everyone. Draconic humans, dwarves, elves... Dragons... We're no longer what we were. And I want to change that."

Ben suddenly realized he'd been ranting and went right back to sitting straight in his chair, embarrassed. "Sorry about that." He said. "I tend to be... Excitable in relation to that."

“It’s ok,” Jared said. “Honestly remembering the past, and trying to remind people of what their heritage was is a noble goal.” Jared said picking at his food.

“Although, you do have to remember that some people just don’t care about following traditions.” He said looking thoughtful. “I think it would be sad to lose traditions and history, but everyone is entitled to their choice.”

31 minutes ago, Emery the Steelrunner said:

“It’s ok,” Jared said. “Honestly remembering the past, and trying to remind people of what their heritage was is a noble goal.” Jared said picking at his food.

“Although, you do have to remember that some people just don’t care about following traditions.” He said looking thoughtful. “I think it would be sad to lose traditions and history, but everyone is entitled to their choice.”

Ben sat there for a moment, looking thoughtful. He then resumed eating, slowly.

"... Yes." He said. "You are right, of course. One cannot force people to follow old outdated-" he said that word Almost in disgust "-traditions. I guess the best I can do is learn about them, record them, so that our past and ancestry won't go to waste. Because people  who forget their past, their present is poor and their future is clouded with doubt."

That last one is actually a personal translation of something a past prime minister of Israel, Yigal Allon, once said. I sometimes think the Israeli society forgets that... Which is at least part of why I chose this as Ben's quest.

38 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

Ben sat there for a moment, looking thoughtful. He then resumed eating, slowly.

"... Yes." He said. "You are right, of course. One cannot force people to follow old outdated-" he said that word Almost in disgust "-traditions. I guess the best I can do is learn about them, record them, so that our past and ancestry won't go to waste. Because people  who forget their past, their present is poor and their future is clouded with doubt."

Jared saw a glint of disgust pass Ben’s face with the word outdated. “I didn’t mean that traditions are outdated, I’m just saying everyone has to choose their own path. Some choose contrary to the sayings of the past. That doesn’t make them outdated, just not right for everyone.” Jared said pausing for a bite.

“For you and me they work great, and we can recognize how they fit into our lives. Mine personally is still applicable today, so is yours, so is everyone’s. The thing is that one day everyone’s paths will be ancient lessons of wisdom; whether those lessons are cautionary tales, or stories of triumph is up to us.” Jared took a drink and went back to eating.

“Sorry for being an armchair philosopher Ben.” Jared said apologetically.

Nice quote.