Shades And Nightblood

PewterKrogan

Ok I have had this stuck in my head for a while and I have searched our several things trying to figure out if it's just a coincidence, or if Brandon purposely put a correlation between the damage the shades of hel do to the people they touch and the damage Nightblood does to the individual wielding them.

My biggest question is we know silver reduced the damage done by a shade, and we know eventually it will have a larger roll in the cosmere, but do we think it could reduce the damage Nightblood does to the person who draws it?

Screenshot_20220107-094643.png

Screenshot_20220107-094859.png

Good catch! I dont think its coincedental. I noticed the shades similarity to Nightblood too and have unsuccessfully been looking for an answer for years lol...

the best ive come up with is that both Shades and Nightblood drain the people they feed on.... which i think we all knew already XD

Threnody is kind if special and weird, and it makes me think that using silver on Shades and to reverse shade damadge might be unique.

i dont think weve seen nightblood interact with silver at all have we? Even while drawn.

Edited by Eternal Khol

No I don't think we have seen nightblood interact directly with silver, or another shard blade for that matter yet. But my thought process is kinda like would wearing silver rings reduce the damage it does? and you might be right, silver might only have that affect on threnody because if the investment on the planet. I have so many questions about how Nightblood interacts with things... But so few answers LoL

Edited by PewterKrogan

10 hours ago, PewterKrogan said:

Ok I have had this stuck in my head for a while and I have searched our several things trying to figure out if it's just a coincidence, or if Brandon purposely put a correlation between the damage the shades of hel do to the people they touch and the damage Nightblood does to the individual wielding them.

My biggest question is we know silver reduced the damage done by a shade, and we know eventually it will have a larger roll in the cosmere, but do we think it could reduce the damage Nightblood does to the person who draws it?

I'm pretty sure that the corrilation between Nightblood and the shades of Threnody are coincidence. 

The shades work by corrupting the investiture within you, Nightblood works by devouring it and turning it into more of itself.

However, there does seem to be some kind of correlation between Ruin and Nightblood,

Walin

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it.

I think the correlation comes from corrupted investiture, which Nightblood probably has and shades almost certainly have. I believe that Nightblood works by corrupting investiture (commonly from souls) and eating it, and the shades work by corrupting the spiritweb, perhaps eating some of it. 

29 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I think the correlation comes from corrupted investiture, which Nightblood probably has and shades almost certainly have. I believe that Nightblood works by corrupting investiture (commonly from souls) and eating it, and the shades work by corrupting the spiritweb, perhaps eating some of it. 

So does silver purify investiture then? Is that why it damages shades and lessens the damage done by them?

8 hours ago, PewterKrogan said:

So does silver purify investiture then? Is that why it damages shades and lessens the damage done by them?

Your guess is as good as mine. From the WoB’s I looked up, Brandon hasn’t given any alternate uses for silver, although he has said that it has role in the Cosmere

Questioner

In Mistborn, silver doesn’t play a role. But then in Shadows for Silence, silver does play a role...

Brandon Sanderson

It does. I still wanted silver to be part of the Cosmere.

Questioner

But we’ll never see it in Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

It does not, as they understand currently, interact with Allomancy, with the three Metallurgic Arts. Silver does have a Cosmere role.

Boskone 54 (Feb. 18, 2017)

What that Cosmere role is, I have no idea

Edited by Nameless

well, to answer your question @Nameless I think I know. shades are cognitive shadows that have been as they die highly invested with a combination of Odium's and Ambition's powers that were left behind in the spiritual realm and the cognitive, as it has been mentioned that there is a wound upon the cognitive realm. so if they are cognitive shadows which I believe to be true, cognitive shadows can be killed by silver. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:46 AM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

well, to answer your question @Nameless I think I know. shades are cognitive shadows that have been as they die highly invested with a combination of Odium's and Ambition's powers that were left behind in the spiritual realm and the cognitive, as it has been mentioned that there is a wound upon the cognitive realm. so if they are cognitive shadows which I believe to be true, cognitive shadows can be killed by silver. 

The thing is, someone would have noticed that, particularly on Roshar, where cognitive entities such as spren are extremely common. Considering that scholars like Raboniel have searched for a way to kill spren, the ancient Radiants doubtless tried to figure out how to kill the fused, and Honor thought that the oathpact was a good solution, I think that it is highly unlikely that silver affects every cognitive shade. If not for that WoB, I would have said that silver affecting shades was just a quirk of Threnody's magic system, and maybe it is. If shades or threnodite magic systems have Cosmere roles, then silver will probably be part of that.