Would you have made the deal?

Dalinar chose to make a new deal with Odium, without consulting anyone else for fear of losing the opportunity. Would you have made that deal?

I would definitely choose risking myself to save the world. The question is the Stormfather. If Odium gets Dalinar, does he by extension get the Stormfather? If so, I’m out.

I personally would have taken the deal. The chance for peace no matter the outcome is too good to pass up. I guess an applicable quote would be "a small price to pay for salvation."

Although a thought afterwards, wouldn't it be possible to end Dalinar's life (if he lost the fight) through Anti-Voidlight? I'm not sure if comparing what Dalinar would become to the Fused is accurate, so that's why I bring it up.

7 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

No. I would have said I will consider this new deal and consult with Wit to see how much Odium said was true or false, like him not controlling the Regals. Then I would confirm would the other rulers as we decide what we should do. Besides, the deal felt so... small. 

You’re assuming that Odium would agree to such a thing. He might but he might just as easily make it a one time option as he’d been saying.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:47 PM, Karger said:

Death severs bonds.  Szeth dropped his honorblade for example even though he was later revived.

Also, I doubt Dalinar could maintain his oaths while serving Odium.

Moreover, it sounded to me like Odium wanted to use Dalinar as his agent on other worlds.  I doubt the Stormfather is capable of worldhopping, so he'd get left behind, which would probably kill Dalinar's powers.

So there are several reasons why Dalinar would cease to be a Bondsmith if Odium won the duel.

Of course, Odium could always scheme to get the Bondsmith honorblade away from Ishar and give that to Dalinar, and we know from Dalinar's confrontation with Ishar just how dangerous that could be.

2 hours ago, Banazir864 said:

Of course, Odium could always scheme to get the Bondsmith honorblade away from Ishar and give that to Dalinar, and we know from Dalinar's confrontation with Ishar just how dangerous that could be.

I don't think you can take the Honorbaldes offworld either.  You can't do it to shardblades.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't think you can take the Honorbaldes offworld either.  You can't do it to shardblades.

Is this canon? Shardblades I could understand because the spren still exists in the CR. Honorblades are pure Honor God metal, and were given to the Heralds by Honor himself. 

Spoiler

and we've seen in Mistborn era 2 another shard's God metal, so there are at least some god metals that can travel offworld

2 hours ago, XaviGzz said:

Is this canon? Shardblades I could understand because the spren still exists in the CR. Honorblades are pure Honor God metal, and were given to the Heralds by Honor himself. 

The metal you refer to was created by something that invested on scadrail itself.  You can't even more stormlight offworld.

7 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

Maybe Dalinar recreated that bond? Nale tells Szeth that all bonds he had were severed upon his death.

Maybe there's some technical difference between a Connection and a Bond.

Like a Bond could be something that is wholly Investure based (as we understand Investure) whereas Connections are just things that arise naturally (though can be affected or percieved by Investure)

• 1 month later...

The deal... it really makes me think Dalinar would lose, you know? Especially with Taravangian as the new Odium. It just seems very likely narratively. Who knows? Maybe Dalinar and Taravangian would continue their discussion and Dalinar would make Taravangian consider more moderate courses of action.

As for whether or not I would take the deal... tbh, depends on my mood. If I was in a particularly bad mood, I might just agree. But if I'm in a good mood, with my life on the line, I'd have thought that a Shard being the one initiating the negotiations and from such a bad position, meant that there was something better that could've been gained. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but my mind, in that situation, would definitely veer towards that assumption.

Edited by Honorless

No deal without consultation. Odium needs the deal as well, and that isn't going to change immediately.

His fortunes are not suddenly going to be so good that committing to a war he no longer wants in two days will become be a good idea. He can shove it for a bit while we assert how negotiations work.

• 3 weeks later...

I think its already very foreshadowed that Odium has put some very specific plans into position with regards to the cosmere and Dalinar is just very obviously what he needs pursue it. Narratively, that Dalinar could win/forfeit the contest of champions but be pressured to join odium (the deal came with a handy explainer on what would happen if an oath was broken which makes the broken oath a checkov's gun if it isnt why Odium died in the first place) and there is also the possibility if a shard invades Dalinar will need to renegotiate the deal.

Honor himself suggested a wager on a contest of champions, and it probably would have worked on Rayse. I'd do it based solely on ending the war. That alone is worth any personal loss.