Hello everyone!

CosmereComrade

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I started reading Brandon's works more or less 2 years ago, with "The final Empire", and totally fell in LOVE with them. I'm spanish, so I would like to start already apologizing if I sometimes misspell or if I come over confusing when posting on the forum.

I'm totally caught up with every cosmere book published (and I've read a few of the non-cosmere series, as Skyward/Starsight and the Reckoners trilogy), and I'm very excited to discuss some topics, or at least read opinions of fellow readers.

13 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. I started reading Brandon's works more or less 2 years ago, with "The final Empire", and totally fell in LOVE with them. I'm spanish, so I would like to start already apologizing if I sometimes misspell or if I come over confusing when posting on the forum.

I'm totally caught up with every cosmere book published (and I've read a few of the non-cosmere series, as Skyward/Starsight and the Reckoners trilogy), and I'm very excited to discuss some topics, or at least read opinions of fellow readers.

Hello! Which world do you think would be the most interesting to force at least part of it to be communist?

7 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Hello! Which world do you think would be the most interesting to force at least part of it to be communist?

I honestly think you can find lots of kinda marxist "things" in first era mistborn.

Spoiler

Mostly because of a revolution lead by som sort of party who gains the peoples trust to rebel, then in the second book it looks much like a development of class society (as in historical materialism, when Marx explains the change from feudalism to capitalism (in mistborn that would be the merchants gaining power, the workers getting miserable but lots of times listening to the merchants, and the nobles seeing the old society crumble and making deals with the merchants, aka burgoisie)

Of course I'm not stating that Brandon is anywhere near marxism, but i found it a very fun thing to think about!

Edit: By the way, I don't know if politics is something to discuss on the forums, since it might be really troublesome. It's something I don't want to bring up, except for analysing things in-cosmere from my point of view.

Edited by CosmereComrade

42 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

I honestly think you can find lots of kinda marxist "things" in first era mistborn.

Hide contents

Mostly because of a revolution lead by som sort of party who gains the peoples trust to rebel, then in the second book it looks much like a development of class society (as in historical materialism, when Marx explains the change from feudalism to capitalism (in mistborn that would be the merchants gaining power, the workers getting miserable but lots of times listening to the merchants, and the nobles seeing the old society crumble and making deals with the merchants, aka burgoisie)

Of course I'm not stating that Brandon is anywhere near marxism, but i found it a very fun thing to think about!

Edit: By the way, I don't know if politics is something to discuss on the forums, since it might be really troublesome. It's something I don't want to bring up, except for analysing things in-cosmere from my point of view.

I mean, we are humans. It’s fine as long as it doesn’t start fights. The admins and mods don’t like fights in the forums, but civil discussion or just mention of politics are just fine.

5 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I mean, we are humans. It’s fine as long as it doesn’t start fights. The admins and mods don’t like fights in the forums, but civil discussion or just mention of politics are just fine.

Of course! Also, I wouldn't like to start fights either, would it be over politics nor theories/conclusions about books.

However, I'm curious about what you would reply to your own question!

3 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

Welcome to the 17th Shard @CosmereComrade!

Do you have a favorite series? 

I always struggle between first era Mistborn and Stormlight Archive. At this point i think my favorite is the Stormlight Archive, but I will have to see how this goes on in the 4th book (soon TBR) and in the end of era 2 Mistborn/era 3 Mistborn in general.

From other autors, I think my favorite series is the Kingkiller Chronicles. I'm very fan of them and am dying to see book 3 (as every other fan is!).

What about you?

41 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

Of course! Also, I wouldn't like to start fights either, would it be over politics nor theories/conclusions about books.

However, I'm curious about what you would reply to your own question!

OhhoHO I love it when people say that. I am so sorry I have run out of rep for today, but I want you to know I’d give you rep if I could.

I think it would be nice for there to be some communism in Roshar. Partially because I think there is a lot of cultural and racial diversity in there, but not much political diversity, and also I think it would be interesting how communism would play out in medieval(ish) times.

14 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

OhhoHO I love it when people say that. I am so sorry I have run out of rep for today, but I want you to know I’d give you rep if I could.

I think it would be nice for there to be some communism in Roshar. Partially because I think there is a lot of cultural and racial diversity in there, but not much political diversity, and also I think it would be interesting how communism would play out in medieval(ish) times.

That would be great, i've never seen such thing displayed in fantasy, and even if I think I wouldn't be on the same page as Brandon talking about it, I would really like to see his perspective on it and how it would play out. Usually in fiction commies are just "bad guys" (as in 1984, even tho that's more of a distopy setting), but I think Brandon would be able to at least give it a wider perspective.

However, since marxism only was able to start with the capitalist class-society, I guess Brandon has still lots of time to do such things in later books (I mean, Mistborn era 3 will definetly have some class-struggle in it, as era 2 had also a bit of it). It would be grate tho to see such a faction on Roshar, and I'm dying to see possible interactions of that with the magic system (heralds involved for example)

8 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

I think my favorite is definitely the stormlight archive. It was the first one I read, and it's just so good

I'm also out of upvotes, otherwise I would give you one. :P

I just fell in love with it just starting with TWOK, I couldn't stop reading!

Btw, I don't fully understand the reputation system. How many votes per day do you have?

Thank you both for replying to my post, I'm already having much fun reading/posting on the forum :)

9 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

I just fell in love with it just starting with TWOK, I couldn't stop reading!

Btw, I don't fully understand the reputation system. How many votes per day do you have?

Thank you both for replying to my post, I'm already having much fun reading/posting on the forum :)

Same :D

I believe you can give out 20 reputation points a day. That way people can't just upvote all of each other's posts to gain reputation.

And I'm glad you're enjoying the shard so much! It really is pretty awesome. My favorite part about it is the amazing community.

Just now, Rosharan A.C. said:

Same :D

I believe you can give out 20 reputation points a day. That way people can't just upvote all of each other's posts to gain reputation.

And I'm glad you're enjoying the shard so much! It really is pretty awesome. My favorite part about it is the amazing community.

Same! As far it seems to me that everybody is pretty friendly and i've seen already various topics that were funny or instructive/intresting.

Lately I don't have much free time but, I think I'm going to spend lot's of it on the forum/discord. So, Nice to meet you and I hope I see you around :D

Hello fellow newbie! What part of Spain are you from? I spent all of 2019 in Madrid and Barcelona, and I've managed to see a fair bit of the rest of the country.

I wouldn't worry about your language skills. Everybody here seems pretty accepting, and from what I've seen your English is really good!

Welcome to the Shard! Amazing to have you join us!

No worries at all about English skills (I mean heck English is my first and I can't even say I'm that good ad it :P) we are here for whoever and your writing was perfect! This intro has had quite the go around here I liked seeing all your answers to all these different types of questions! :D

I am super curious actually as to Mist's question there. For me imagining reading something like Stormlight not in my first language would seem like a gargantuan task so if you can do that massive props to you. Look forward to seeing you around!

22 hours ago, Daggon Forescout said:

Hello fellow newbie! What part of Spain are you from? I spent all of 2019 in Madrid and Barcelona, and I've managed to see a fair bit of the rest of the country.

I wouldn't worry about your language skills. Everybody here seems pretty accepting, and from what I've seen your English is really good!

Hi! Thank you, tho i still think i need to improve it quite a bit, but I'm trying hard lately.

I currently (and so I've done for the past 5 years) live in Barcelona, but most of my life I've been living in Ibiza. What did you think of Spain? 

21 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

Here I am thinking that I'll come and ask a great question. But then I see that @Koloss17 has already asked a question and I can't beat that.

Welcome to the shard!

Hi! Do introductions usually work like that on the forum? I ask because i saw that @Koloss17 posted about questions he/she asked newcommers, which I found pretty funny

18 hours ago, Mist said:

Welcome to the Shard! Have you read the books in Spanish, English, both, or a mix? If a mix, are there any interesting differences? 

Hi! Well, Dawnshard will be the first cosmere book I read in english, but i read the reckoners triology in english.

And, yes, there are many differences!

For example when it comes to certain names that have a meaning (as in Lightsong, translated to "Sondeluz"). I'm really in love with Shardcast, but when I first started listening to it i was so lost! Of course pronounciation varies a lot, but also just some names are different in spanish.

I still think the spanish version is quite good overall, but it was a steep path to walk, changing the language!

3 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Welcome to the Shard! Amazing to have you join us!

No worries at all about English skills (I mean heck English is my first and I can't even say I'm that good ad it :P) we are here for whoever and your writing was perfect! This intro has had quite the go around here I liked seeing all your answers to all these different types of questions! :D

I am super curious actually as to Mist's question there. For me imagining reading something like Stormlight not in my first language would seem like a gargantuan task so if you can do that massive props to you. Look forward to seeing you around!

Hi, I also look forward to being/seeing you all around here :)

However, about the question, no, I haven't still read Stormlight in english (although I boght the english version of TWOK).

I think I wouldn't have such a problem just reading it, but it would definetly make me enjoy it less since I'm still not used to reading such books in a language other than spanish/catalan.

Thanks everyone for replying! :D

6 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

Hi! Do introductions usually work like that on the forum? I ask because i saw that @Koloss17 posted about questions he/she asked newcommers, which I found pretty funny

So I’m actually kinda famous (am I famous?) for my silly questions that I ask for newcomers! In fact, I have made my own thread sharing those silly questions for non-newcomers!

you can check it out here if you want more silly questions. I recently made a thread, but I have made multiple status updates on it before then.

But yeah, I’m an anomaly. Most people ask the ordinary questions like “what is your favorite book” which can be useful, but I ask the silly questions, usually based off of what the human said that they like or have read. Also they/them be my pronouns.

3 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So I’m actually kinda famous (am I famous?) for my silly questions that I ask for newcomers! In fact, I have made my own thread sharing those silly questions for non-newcomers!

you can check it out here if you want more silly questions. I recently made a thread, but I have made multiple status updates on it before then.

But yeah, I’m an anomaly. Most people ask the ordinary questions like “what is your favorite book” which can be useful, but I ask the silly questions, usually based off of what the human said that they like or have read. Also they/them be my pronouns.

Oh, sorry on that :/ . That's something you have very naturally in english (genderless pronouns) but for my "spanish-thinking" mind it's hard to use them as first option. I'll take note on it!

5 minutes ago, CosmereComrade said:

Oh, sorry on that :/ . That's something you have very naturally in english (genderless pronouns) but for my "spanish-thinking" mind it's hard to use them as first option. I'll take note on it!

No problem! It isn’t an issue. I mean, how the heck would you know?

but pro tip, if you want it, saying he/she to encompass all genders, you might as well use they. It’s less characters as well as not implying that man or woman are the only genders. It’s a win/win in my opinion.

3 hours ago, CosmereComrade said:

I currently (and so I've done for the past 5 years) live in Barcelona, but most of my life I've been living in Ibiza. What did you think of Spain? 

Well I just so happened to arrive in Madrid in the middle of a massive taxi strike, and I was in Barcelona for the Fall 2019 demonstrations. Only time I've ever seen a melted dumpster.

Apart from that I really enjoyed my time in Spain. I was studying abroad in Madrid for the Spring, and managed to find a great apartment about a 10 minute walk from Puerta del Sol. The night life there was the best I've ever experienced (granted it was largely fueled by all the international students). I studied Spanish in high school and a little at university, so I was able to get along pretty well.

After that I spent 6 months living in the Eixample district and working in Sant Cugat. Barcelona was beautiful, La Merce was amazing, and the seafood/ deli markets were easily the best I've ever seen for the price. Most Barcelonans were happy to talk to me in Spanish or English, but I never was able to understand more than a few words of Catalan.

All in all, it was an amazing experience and I'm really glad I did it. I had intended to visit Ibiza, but my roommate and I both fell pretty ill the night before so we cancelled. How would you say that life in Ibiza compares to Barce? I know that both can get pretty overrun with tourists.

4 hours ago, CosmereComrade said:

For example when it comes to certain names that have a meaning (as in Lightsong, translated to "Sondeluz"). I'm really in love with Shardcast, but when I first started listening to it i was so lost! Of course pronounciation varies a lot, but also just some names are different in spanish.

However, about the question, no, I haven't still read Stormlight in english (although I boght the english version of TWOK).

Oh man that would be so confusing!! That's really interesting they used a translation rather than just using the name as a proper noun just in English. Cuz you are totally right that would then get so difficult trying to figure out what the name was back from the translated version.

This is totally what I would be doing! :P Like nahhhh, let's stick with the first language here lol. Props on you for starting to go in on the English version as well! I totally understand you, like reading for enjoyment you want it in your strongest language otherwise it is more work than enjoyable.

Let us know if you have any questions and hope you enjoy the Shard!

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Oh and yes, so yes, Koloss is the question genius here :D Every time I would get to an intro there'd always be this crazy, awesome question that was totally random and super amazing, Koloss has it down. They are the absolute best kind of questions because everything goes and it is super random so it is perfect for new people just joining!

10 hours ago, Daggon Forescout said:

Well I just so happened to arrive in Madrid in the middle of a massive taxi strike, and I was in Barcelona for the Fall 2019 demonstrations. Only time I've ever seen a melted dumpster.

Apart from that I really enjoyed my time in Spain. I was studying abroad in Madrid for the Spring, and managed to find a great apartment about a 10 minute walk from Puerta del Sol. The night life there was the best I've ever experienced (granted it was largely fueled by all the international students). I studied Spanish in high school and a little at university, so I was able to get along pretty well.

After that I spent 6 months living in the Eixample district and working in Sant Cugat. Barcelona was beautiful, La Merce was amazing, and the seafood/ deli markets were easily the best I've ever seen for the price. Most Barcelonans were happy to talk to me in Spanish or English, but I never was able to understand more than a few words of Catalan.

All in all, it was an amazing experience and I'm really glad I did it. I had intended to visit Ibiza, but my roommate and I both fell pretty ill the night before so we cancelled. How would you say that life in Ibiza compares to Barce? I know that both can get pretty overrun with tourists.

Yes, there were many of those (melted cointainers) at the time. I also really love Barcelona. Sadly we didn't have any of those festivities this year of course (like La Mercè I mean), but I hope we can celebrate it next year.

Well, Ibiza is a much much smaller place, and it gets very very crowded in the summer. However, unlike Barcelona, in the winter it's just almost empty, only habited by people who live there the entire year (which come up to more or less 100.000 on the whole island). But if you ever have the chance to visit I highly recommend you doing so. I love it's landscape, its beaches, it's old architecture at some places, the small towns... And if you're more a party-type person it's also great. If you ever go there, be sure to visit Formentera, the small island next to Ibiza. It's normally a one-day trip, but you can't miss the oportunity to be there.

9 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Oh man that would be so confusing!! That's really interesting they used a translation rather than just using the name as a proper noun just in English. Cuz you are totally right that would then get so difficult trying to figure out what the name was back from the translated version.

This is totally what I would be doing! :P Like nahhhh, let's stick with the first language here lol. Props on you for starting to go in on the English version as well! I totally understand you, like reading for enjoyment you want it in your strongest language otherwise it is more work than enjoyable.

Yes, totally, I JUST figured out why people kept calling Lopen "The Lopen" in shardcast and stuff. THEY ACTUALLY CALL HIM LIKE THAT IN ENGLISH! In spanish it's just "Lopen". So I guess there are lot's of puns, jokes and more subtle things in the books that I have sadly missed until now... But hey, I can always re-read in english. I feel it will be much easyer with books I've already read, so I think that's what I'm gonna do next! (Also, one difference I always found funny was that in spanish, the title of "warbraker" is completely different. It's called "El aliento de los dioses" which you would translate to "The breath of the gods", instead of "rompeguerras" which i think would be a more "accurate" translation. I first had some trouble figuring out what "warbreaker" was :lol: