It's Victor Vale from V.E. Schwab's Villains series (wow, that's a lot of v's). His asexuality doesn't play a massive role in the books, though. 

Oh, I forgot, there's also Alice Oseman's YA contemporary book Loveless, which is the coming-out story of an aroace teen. I don't read YA all that much anymore but once I heard about it how could I not read it. 

I have a bunch of other books with ace characters on my TBR, but who knows when I'll get to them :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

It's Victor Vale from V.E. Schwab's Villains series (wow, that's a lot of v's). His asexuality doesn't play a massive role in the books, though. 

Oh, I forgot, there's also Alice Oseman's YA contemporary book Loveless, which is the coming-out story of an aroace teen. I don't read YA all that much anymore but once I heard about it how could I not read it. 

I have a bunch of other books with ace characters on my TBR, but who knows when I'll get to them :P

Victor's ace. I thought he *spoilers for the book

Spoiler

Liked that girl who he ended up killing by accident after he turned into an EO. Also I haven't read the second book yet so if it's important don't give a explanation. Or oh is he asexual but heteroromantic

On 11/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! I'd do crab emojis but that seems slightly disrespectful to them considering she did a little bit propose crab genocide

I agree with ene. That's like putting rat emojis and saying they represent humans since we r both mammals :P

Hmm loveless seems like a good book too. Gonna put it on the to-read list. Thanks

Edited by Dreamspren
A little polishing

I was really excited to see how well this was presented. I'd been hoping she'd be revealed as gay, but this works wonderfully too. 

I've read one other book with an ace POV and can recommend Banner of the Damned. Slightly different version of asexuality, but a very compelling character, in my opinion. :) 

I'm so glad, but I sincerely hope this doesn't go the route of "she's ace because of past trauma" or because of her "emotionless" that Ivory talks about in Oathbringer. I just want her to be ace because she's ace and i wish i could convey that to Brandon. (Also, man is Hoid just dropped really far in my rankings for his contiunous efforts to try to "awaken" Jasnahs sexual desires, even though from her character we can be reasonably certain she made it clear that that's not how she works.)

7 hours ago, Xoror said:

I'm so glad, but I sincerely hope this doesn't go the route of "she's ace because of past trauma" or because of her "emotionless" that Ivory talks about in Oathbringer. I just want her to be ace because she's ace and i wish i could convey that to Brandon. (Also, man is Hoid just dropped really far in my rankings for his contiunous efforts to try to "awaken" Jasnahs sexual desires, even though from her character we can be reasonably certain she made it clear that that's not how she works.)

I don't think either of those things are all that likely, to be honest. 

On the trauma front - even if Jasnah does have some kind of trauma relating to sexual assault/rape, which I know has been speculated about, this doesn't impact on her being ace. For one thing, she notes that she knew 'early on in her youth' that she was asexual. She's also not sex repulsed, as she would almost certainly be if her asexuality was rooted in trauma. Brandon has confirmed she's asexual, but sex positive/willing to have sex with her partners. 

On the 'emotionless' front. There's no danger of that, either, since Jasnah is quite explicitly not emotionless. Ivory mentions it, but Ivory is a spren, and Jasnah immediately tells him that he's wrong, and that she "let's her passions rule as much as the next person". Every POV we get from Jasnah we see emotion from her. She just isn't very good at/has grown proficient at not showing it. But she's not emotionless. She deliberately states in chapter 99 that what intrigues her about Wit/relationships is the emotional connection that she can form with them. 

I also didn't get the impression Jasnah had spoken to him about her asexuality yet? They seem to be relatively early on in their relationship, as both are mentioned as being excited to explore the future potentials of it. It's implied that they've had sex, and that Wit finds her lack of excitement about the whole process as odd. This strongly implies to me that she isn't explicitly out to him as ace yet/that they haven't had that conversation. If it IS explicitly canonised that he DOES know and is STILL trying to 'awaken' her sexual desires, then yes I would have a big problem with that. But Wit doesn't strike me as that type of character, and I doubt Brandon would turn him into such. He seems altogether very respectful and accepting of Jasnah's many Jasnahisms. 

I haven't finished RoW yet (I'm on the Part III), but I'm absolutely thrilled, both by the revelation that Jasnah is officially ace and by her relationship with Wit so far. I always wanted her to be asexual (being one myself ^^'), but haven't really considered Wit part. Now when it finally comes to this, I feel like this is kind of a relationship I always wanted to read about, but never dared to dream this might happen :')

Yeay, this is probably why I love BS works so much, somehow he is always able to write stuff that would match my taste perfectly! 

11 hours ago, atarynnosaurus said:

I don't think either of those things are all that likely, to be honest. 

On the trauma front - even if Jasnah does have some kind of trauma relating to sexual assault/rape, which I know has been speculated about, this doesn't impact on her being ace. For one thing, she notes that she knew 'early on in her youth' that she was asexual. She's also not sex repulsed, as she would almost certainly be if her asexuality was rooted in trauma. Brandon has confirmed she's asexual, but sex positive/willing to have sex with her partners. 

On the 'emotionless' front. There's no danger of that, either, since Jasnah is quite explicitly not emotionless. Ivory mentions it, but Ivory is a spren, and Jasnah immediately tells him that he's wrong, and that she "let's her passions rule as much as the next person". Every POV we get from Jasnah we see emotion from her. She just isn't very good at/has grown proficient at not showing it. But she's not emotionless. She deliberately states in chapter 99 that what intrigues her about Wit/relationships is the emotional connection that she can form with them. 

I also didn't get the impression Jasnah had spoken to him about her asexuality yet? They seem to be relatively early on in their relationship, as both are mentioned as being excited to explore the future potentials of it. It's implied that they've had sex, and that Wit finds her lack of excitement about the whole process as odd. This strongly implies to me that she isn't explicitly out to him as ace yet/that they haven't had that conversation. If it IS explicitly canonised that he DOES know and is STILL trying to 'awaken' her sexual desires, then yes I would have a big problem with that. But Wit doesn't strike me as that type of character, and I doubt Brandon would turn him into such. He seems altogether very respectful and accepting of Jasnah's many Jasnahisms. 

It could also be a personal fantasy for him, which Jasnah is willing to indulge even if they both recognize it as that: fantasy. Or he could be hoping to find a way for her to enjoy the process too; he may feel guilty that she doesn’t (some partners do feel this way, when they know the other is not getting the same enjoyment as themselves). Or Jasnah could be misreading his intentions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 5:01 AM, Friendshipspren said:

That's like putting rat emojis and saying they represent humans since we r both mammals :P

Rats are way cuter. :ph34r:

On 11/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Or he could be hoping to find a way for her to enjoy the process too; he may feel guilty that she doesn’t (some partners do feel this way, when they know the other is not getting the same enjoyment as themselves).

If this is the case, then I hope she shoots that down quick. There's no reason at all why sex has to be something people pity their partner for not enjoying. It's an equally valid and important opinion, not one that needs an apology, guilt, or sadness on the other person's part.

20 hours ago, Ookla the Intimidating said:

If this is the case, then I hope she shoots that down quick. There's no reason at all why sex has to be something people pity their partner for not enjoying. It's an equally valid and important opinion, not one that needs an apology, guilt, or sadness on the other person's part.

If me and a friend both bought lottery tickets, and I won, I would feel bad for my friend that didn’t win. I would try to help them share in the happiness. It isn’t pity, it is just our Connection. I want them to be happy in life, though even if I gave them millions of dollars, they still might not be happy, and at that point it is their choice, and nothing I do can help influence them. 

Edited by Chinkoln
I wanted to be sure nothing in it could be considered inappropriate

8 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

If me and a friend both bought lottery tickets, and I won, I would feel bad for my friend that didn’t win. I would try to help them share in the happiness. It isn’t pity, it is just our Connection. I want them to be happy in life, though even if I gave them millions of dollars, they still might not be happy, and at that point it is their choice, and nothing I do can help influence them.

While I understand your thought process, I don’t believe that guilt is a constructive feeling to have in this situation either. 

To use a metaphor, imagine you’ve cooked your favourite meal for your partner. You’re really excited to see their reaction, but as soon as they take the first bite, their face scrunches up and they barely touch their food. You might be a little disappointed that they don’t appreciate the food in the same way you do, but it’s nothing to feel guilty over. Everyone has different tastes, and everyone finds enjoyment out of different things. Similarly, everyone has different feelings when it comes to sex, and those feelings should always be respected. 

Edited by Ookla the Ethereal

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Ethereal said:

Similarly, everyone has different feelings when it comes to sex, and those feelings should always be respected. 

I guess so. I have never participated in this so I don’t know. I will take your word for it. We should probably end this discussion here. The public forums on the Shard isn’t the place for a conversation like this. There are people both old and young who read Sanderson and are on the Shard. We don’t want to make this a place that isn’t safe for them to be. I am actually going to go edit out a sensitive part of my earlier message. I would appreciate it if you could edit that part out of your quote from me.

Edited by Chinkoln

2 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

I guess so. I have never participated in this so I don’t know. I will take your word for it. We should probably end this discussion here. The public forums on the Shard isn’t the place for a conversation like this. There are people both old and young who read Sanderson and are on the Shard. We don’t want to make this a place that isn’t safe for them to be. I am actually going to go edit out a sensitive part of my earlier message. I would appreciate it if you could edit that part out of your quote from me.

No worries, I’ve edited that part out. I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way; my only intention was to provide a different perspective on the subject. 

Now, back to the regularly scheduled hype!!!!!

12 hours ago, Ookla the Ethereal said:

No worries, I’ve edited that part out. I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way; my only intention was to provide a different perspective on the subject. 

Now, back to the regularly scheduled hype!!!!!

No, you are fine, you didn’t make me uncomfortable. I just wanted to ensure that all content was suitable for people of all ages.