Talking about asexuality is fine as long as you're not talking about sex details. The sexuality is fine.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, Chinkoln said:

...and at that point it is their choice...

What Salad said, and I just wanted to note that I see what you're saying, but being ace isn't a choice. ^_^

On 12/11/2020 at 2:59 AM, GameOfGroans said:

Jasnah is not the only one, though. Remember Rushu? Literally "joined the ardentia to escape the advances of men."

I wouldn't say that counts as rep, much less specifically ace rep, but I could definitely see her being queer!

What, that thing about Jasnah not caring about physical sex was her being asexual? I just thought that was a character quirk. It made sense for her.

Edit: I would like to say of all the LGTBQ community, asexuals are the one of at least two I don't have the best grasp of yet. I have no friends who are asexual or who have friends who are asexual to explain and have yet to try to do research on it. So... forgive my ignorance and be free to and alleviate my ignorance. Because up to this point, I didn't realize asexual people got into relationships, and now I'm wondering what else i don't know.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

11 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

What, that thing about Jasnah not caring about physical sex was her being asexual? I just thought that was a character quirk. It made sense for her.

Edit: I would like to say of all the LGTBQ community, asexuals are the one of at least two I don't have the best grasp of yet. I have no friends who are asexual or who have friends who are asexual to explain and have yet to try to do research on it. So... forgive my ignorance and be free to and alleviate my ignorance. Because up to this point, I didn't realize asexual people got into relationships, and now I'm wondering what else i don't know.

Yep. Brandon confirmed it in his reddit annotations.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! As for aces not being in relationships, that's a common misconception which conflates sexual attraction with romantic attraction. Most people have the same sexual and romantic orientation, like biromantic bisexual, but some people - often asexuals - have different ones. I'm panromantic asexual. There's also aromantic, where you don't feel romantic attraction, and you can be aromantic and asexual (aroace), or any other combo of sexuality, like aro + hetero or pan or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Intimidating said:

Yep. Brandon confirmed it in his reddit annotations.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! As for aces not being in relationships, that's a common misconception which conflates sexual attraction with romantic attraction. Most people have the same sexual and romantic orientation, like biromantic bisexual, but some people - often asexuals - have different ones. I'm panromantic asexual. There's also aromantic, where you don't feel romantic attraction, and you can be aromantic and asexual (aroace), or any other combo of sexuality, like aro + hetero or pan or whatever.

Interesting. Fits her character.

Also, you have lost me. Like,everywhere.

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

I understood aromantic, and that's about it. What's panromantic asexual, how many subdivisions of asexual are there, and what do they all mean?

So, you know what asexuality is. Panromantic is like pansexual, but romantically instead of sexually. I can be romantically interested in someone of any gender.

...Depends on how you're defining subdivisions. People can be ace, they can be the opposite (sometimes called allo in the community), and they can be lots of stuff in between, which is commonly called "gray-asexuality". For example, someone who only feels sexual attraction in certain situations; there are a lot of these and frankly I don't have them all memorized :P but one of the more well-known ones is demisexual, someone who can only feel sexual attraction to someone they have a strong emotional bond with. (There's also demiromantic, which is the same thing but for romantic attraction.)

As for what they all mean, they're just labels for a certain way of feeling attracted to people.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:27 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

I understood aromantic, and that's about it. What's panromantic asexual, how many subdivisions of asexual are there, and what do they all mean?

Just to note: More rarely you get diametrically opposed sexual and romantic attractions, like homosexual/heteromantic and vice versa. It’s not very common or, at least, doesn’t get brought up often, but does exist and is worth noting.

People who are bisexual or pansexual can also be aromantic, or only prefer one sex romantically. The same is true for those who are panromantic, but have a specific sexual attraction or lack thereof.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

On 12/13/2020 at 8:31 PM, Ookla the Editor said:

So, you know what asexuality is. Panromantic is like pansexual, but romantically instead of sexually. I can be romantically interested in someone of any gender.

...Depends on how you're defining subdivisions. People can be ace, they can be the opposite (sometimes called allo in the community), and they can be lots of stuff in between, which is commonly called "gray-asexuality". For example, someone who only feels sexual attraction in certain situations; there are a lot of these and frankly I don't have them all memorized :P but one of the more well-known ones is demisexual, someone who can only feel sexual attraction to someone they have a strong emotional bond with. (There's also demiromantic, which is the same thing but for romantic attraction.)

As for what they all mean, they're just labels for a certain way of feeling attracted to people.

Hey, I forgot to ask for a friend who thinks she may be asexual but remembers having crushes on some hot movie stars and having physical attraction to them and not sure if you can be asexual if you have been physically attracted to people. What can you say about this?

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Hey, I forgot to ask for a friend who thinks she may be asexual but remembers having crushes on some hot movie stars and having physical attraction to them and not sure if you can be asexual if you have been physically attracted to people. What can you say about this?

Asexuality is a spectrum, and it's not unusual for aspec people to be practically asexual for all intents and purposes, but feel attraction for fictional people/famous people separated from real life as celebrities are.