Dune

The elements of any mythology must grow from something profoundly moving, something which threatens to overwhelm any consciousness which tries to confront the primal mystery. Yet, after the primal confrontation, the roots of this threat must appear as familiar and necessary as your own flesh. For this, I give you the sandworms of Dune ... the extension of human lifespan cannot be an unmitigated blessing. Every such acquisition requires a new consciousness. And a new consciousness assumes that you will confront dangerous unknowns—you will go into the deeps.

—"Sandworms of Dune," Frank Herbert, 1977.

I'm definitely getting all of that wonder from Shai-Hulud in this trailer. Stoked!

Hypesign, we have hypesign!

Practically everything in that trailer seems designed to make sure that people who have read the book know that yes, the filmmakers have too. As I said to someone else after we both watched it, either the film is going to be an extremely brisk one or it's going to be four hours long to fit everything. And I'd be fine with either of those options.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

As I said to someone else after we both watched it, either the film is going to be an extremely brisk one or it's going to be four hours long to fit everything. And I'd be fine with either of those options.

As far as I know, they want to make it two movies, like what was done with It. So it will probably be 4 hours at the very least in total.

20 hours ago, Weltall said:

Hypesign, we have hypesign!

Practically everything in that trailer seems designed to make sure that people who have read the book know that yes, the filmmakers have too. As I said to someone else after we both watched it, either the film is going to be an extremely brisk one or it's going to be four hours long to fit everything. And I'd be fine with either of those options.

I heard it would be three hours, but if they're doing two films, it might be two and a half.  

Anyone have theories on where they're going to end?  I have one that I'm gonna stick in a spoiler, because it's kinda spoilery.

Spoiler

I think they'll cut right after Paul gets to the sietch and meets Chani.

4 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Anyone have theories on where they're going to end?  I have one that I'm gonna stick in a spoiler, because it's kinda spoilery.

Reveal hidden contents

I think they'll cut right after Paul gets to the sietch and meets Chani.

Narrativly-speaking that would make good sense.

Spoiler

There's a timeskip between Paul and Jessica being taken in and the second half of the story so splitting the film there makes good sense both in terms of storytelling and in production terms. Don't need to worry about making actors up to look older post-timeskip if they're already older when they film the rest of the story, after all. Though if that's where they cut things I'd assume Chani plays a larger role in the early story since otherwise she'd be in, what, a couple of dream sequences and then one or two scenes just at the end?

Splitting the story there would also let the next film open with some 'big' scene like Paul learning how to ride a sandworm, which has a lot to recommend itself.

I haven't reread the book in a while so I don't remember exactly how much of the story that would divide between the two parts but unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it shouldn't be too lopsided and there's plenty that could be done to balance out any difference in the weight of the original material if needed.

55 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Narrativly-speaking that would make good sense.

Hide contents

There's a timeskip between Paul and Jessica being taken in and the second half of the story so splitting the film there makes good sense both in terms of storytelling and in production terms. Don't need to worry about making actors up to look older post-timeskip if they're already older when they film the rest of the story, after all. Though if that's where they cut things I'd assume Chani plays a larger role in the early story since otherwise she'd be in, what, a couple of dream sequences and then one or two scenes just at the end?

Splitting the story there would also let the next film open with some 'big' scene like Paul learning how to ride a sandworm, which has a lot to recommend itself.

I haven't reread the book in a while so I don't remember exactly how much of the story that would divide between the two parts but unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it shouldn't be too lopsided and there's plenty that could be done to balance out any difference in the weight of the original material if needed.

Yeah, it wouldn't be very lopsided.

Spoiler

There was an interview, and Zendaya, who is playing Chani, said she was only on set for a few days, which sounds like a few dream sequences and scenes at the end.  My guess is the very last scene in the movie will be the one from the trailer where she and Paul kiss.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 0:07 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I can't say I'm not disappointed, but this does give me more of a chance to get to see it in theaters when it does come out.

It also gives me more time to decide if I want to read the book before the movie comes out,

I never have. I was so turned off by that mess of a movie in 1984 & never motivated to read the book: the story just seemed ugly, and there's enough of that IRL - who needs more?

But you my fellow Sharders are making me reconsider. This community is so awesome!:D

1 hour ago, Iarwainiel said:

It also gives me more time to decide if I want to read the book before the movie comes out,

I never have. I was so turned off by that mess of a movie in 1984 & never motivated to read the book: the story just seemed ugly, and there's enough of that IRL - who needs more?

But you my fellow Sharders are making me reconsider. This community is so awesome!:D

I'd say read it!  It's a good book, and actually introduced me to the concept of third-person omniscient.

• 9 months later...
On 10/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I'd say read it!  It's a good book, and actually introduced me to the concept of third-person omniscient.

That is so interestting, because when I was young (60s-70s) almost all books were written in third-person were 3rd-omniscient - anything not 3rd-omniscient was first person ... at least, of the books we read here in the midwest. Probably fine arts-style literature was different, but I remember the teachers having to explain to us (in high school?) about character-specific POV writing. Quite a change, in my lifetime. Makes me wonder what's ahead?!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Dune is really the only one of the series I really cared for or enjoyed, in terms of the books; I rather thought of the rest as a long slow decline into senescence. The 84 movie was 80s fantasy bad (which is pretty awful) as far as I'm concerned, the mini series in...whatever year that was, wasn't too bad.  At least, I enjoyed it :)

What I see in the latest trailer looks pretty good all things considered, but given my uneven attraction to the books I'm not sure I'll go see it in a theater.  I'm sure I'll eventually watch it though.  I'll keep an eye on reactions here as the release happens for sure.

• 2 months later...