Imported Death Rattles

Personification

Inspired by the most recent Shardcast, I would like to start a game where you import a quote from a different work that, were it to appear as a death rattle in the Stormlight Archive, would not feel out of place. The format is:

Quote quote quote quote

-Collected on [Rosharan date] [X] seconds pre-death. [person the death rattle came from in Rosharan terms]

Originally spoken by [Character] from [work]

For example:

I am reaching, but I fall
And the stars are black and cold
As I stare into the void

-Collected Betabachah 1173, 27 seconds pre-death. Subject was a darkeyed Veden city guard tasked with chasing down escaped slaves.

Originally spoken by Inspector Javert from Les Mis (the musical, I don't actually know if he says this in the book)

Look at them, they come to this place when they know they are not pure.

Tenno use the keys, but they are mere trespassers. Only I, Vor, know the true power of the Void.

I was cut in half, destroyed, but through it's Janus Key, the Void called to me. It brought me here and here I was reborn.

We cannot blame these creatures, they are being led by a false prophet, an impostor who knows not the secrets of the Void.

Behold the Tenno, come to scavenge and desecrate this sacred realm. My brothers, did I not tell of this day? Did I not prophesize this moment?

Now, I will stop them. Now I am changed, reborn through the energy of the Janus Key. Forever bound to the Void.

Let it be known, if the Tenno want true salvation, they will lay down their arms, and wait for the baptism of my Janus key.

It is time. I will teach these trespassers the redemptive power of my Janus key. They will learn it's simple truth.

The Tenno are lost, and they will resist. But I, Vor, will cleanse this place of their impurity.

- Collected Ishes 1337, 42 seconds post-death.

Edited by Patrick Star

Oh! thou clear spirit of clear fire, whom on these seas I as Persian once did worship, till in the sacramental act so burned by thee, that to this hour I bear the scar; I now know thee, thou clear spirit, and I now know that thy right worship is defiance. To neither love nor reverence wilt thou be kind; and e’en for hate thou canst but kill; and all are killed.

No fearless fool now fronts thee. I own thy speechless, placeless power; but to the last gasp of my earthquake life will dispute its unconditional, unintegral mastery in me. In the midst of the personified impersonal, a personality stands here. Though but a point at best; whencesoe’er I came; wheresoe’er I go; yet while I earthly live, the queenly personality lives in me, and feels her royal rights. But war is pain, and hate is woe.

Come in thy lowest form of love, and I will kneel and kiss thee; but at thy highest, come as mere supernal power; and though thou launchest navies of full-freighted worlds, there’s that in here that still remains indifferent. Oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, I breathe it back to thee.

Collected Jeseses 1171, 55 seconds pre - death. Subject was a lighteyed captain in the personal routine of high prince Torol Sadeas

(Moby Dick)

Edited by Nathrangking

Once, only a god could perform such a miracle. But today, mankind moves one step closer to the divine!

-Collected Ishes 1175, 2 hours pre-death. Subject was blind Alethi girl at the brink of starvation.

It was simple curiosity. The curiosity of a single man that destroyed the universe and created a new one.

-Collected Jeseses 1176, 11 minutes post-seizure. Subject was Iriali man.

This world is stagnant. It has expired. Therefore, I will ask you, its new god... What is your wish? Will you allow the world to continue to stagnate? Or will you allow it to evolve to the next level? The choice is yours to make.

-Collected Ishes 1175, 17 minutes pre-death. Subject was Veden ardent.

(From Xenoblade Chronicles)

Edited by Jaywalk

3 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Once, only a god could perform such a miracle. But today, mankind moves one step closer to the divine!

-Collected Ishes 1175, 2 hours pre-death. Subject was blind Alethi girl at the brink of starvation.

It was simple curiosity. The curiosity of a single man that destroyed the universe and created a new one.

-Collected Jeseses 1176, 11 minutes post-seizure. Subject was Iriali man.

This world is stagnant. It has expired. Therefore, I will ask you, its new god... What is your wish? Will you allow the world to continue to stagnate? Or will you allow it to evolve to the next level? The choice is yours to make.

-Collected Ishes 1175, 17 minutes pre-death. Subject was Veden ardent.

Are these from Avengers: Age of Ultron? They seem familiar. Their was a reason I asked that people put the original source of the quote.

11 hours ago, Personification said:

Are these from Avengers: Age of Ultron? They seem familiar. Their was a reason I asked that people put the original source of the quote.

They’re from the game Xenoblade Chronicles. Sorry about that.

Edited by Jaywalk

"The Human monster combines the impossible and the forbidden."
Collected Jesanach 1171, 20 seconds pre-death. Subject was a bald Shin philosopher.
(Michel Foucault, Ethics, Subjectivity and Truth: The Abnormals)

"Why did they bow? In him—and as it were behind the question mark of his fragile and miserable appearance—they sensed the superior force that sought to test itself in such a conquest, the strength of will in which they recognized and honored their own strength and delight in dominion"
Collected on Vevishes 1173, 104 seconds pre-death. Subject was a dark-eyed Reshi mustache farmer. Sample considered questionable.
(Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil)

10 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

"The Human monster combines the impossible and the forbidden."
Collected Jesanach 1171, 20 seconds pre-death. Subject was a bald Shin philosopher.
(Michel Foucault, Ethics, Subjectivity and Truth: The Abnormals)

"Why did they bow? In him—and as it were behind the question mark of his fragile and miserable appearance—they sensed the superior force that sought to test itself in such a conquest, the strength of will in which they recognized and honored their own strength and delight in dominion"
Collected on Vevishes 1173, 104 seconds pre-death. Subject was a dark-eyed Reshi mustache farmer. Sample considered questionable.
(Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil)

Do you think that if Nietzsche were Thaylen he would have handlebar eyebrows?

"Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Collected by the Silent Gatherers on Jesachaln
9 seconds before death. Subject was a sailor from Jah Keved.

Excerpt from the poem Ozymandias. I chose it and the time of collection as a metaphor for Odium deciding to destroy civilization through time.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. 

Collected Chach 1173, 11 seconds pre-death. Subject was a fugitive Shin warrior. 

(Bladerunner, Roy Baty an escaped replicant slave) 

But, they……These worthless ones, took the Planet from you. Didn't they, Mother?

Collected Vevishes 1174, 20 seconds pre-death. Subject was an Iriali warrior of some renown. 

(Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7) 

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. 

Collected Jesachev 1173, 42 seconds pre-death. Subject was an Alethi Chull Driver. 

(Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver) 

The box. You opened it. We came. Now you must come with us, taste our pleasures.

Collected Jesachev 1174. 30 seconds pre-death. Subject was a Veden man of unknown origins. 

(Pinhead in Hellraiser)

Edited by Child of Hodor

"Twice and twice he shall be marked. Twice to live and twice to die. Once the heron to set his path, twice the heron to name him true. Once the Dragon for remebrance lost, twice the Dragon for the price he must pay."

-Collected Chach 1173, 21 seconds pre-death. Subject was a darkeyed farmer.

From the propheices of the Dragon.

• 3 weeks later...
Find
Glory
In a song that rings true
Truth like a blazing fire
An eternal flame
Find
One song
A song about love
Glory
-Collected on Jeseses 1774 78 seconds pre-death. Subject was a captured voidbringer minstrel with a degenerative disease.

Originally spoken by Roger from RENT.

Edited by Personification

5 hours ago, Elegy said:

You are fools! One day, the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come to you.

-Collected at a public execution. Subject was some outlaw.

Worship. Worship Trell and wait.”

-collected 15 seconds Pre-death, jesevev, 1145.

Dang it! If I had seen this thread just one hour earlier...

I represent that thing that you’ve never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”

collected Jesesash, 860, 11 seconds pre-death. Subject was a crime lord of some renown.

Edited by Ethan_Sedai

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt, It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills,                  It comes first and follows after,                  Ends life, kills laughter.

-Collected on Shashachev 1173, 24 seconds pre-death. Subject was a Thaylen merchant known in the black market for smuggling firemoss. 

(Tolkien, The Hobbit)

Edited by ILuvHats

• Chaos locked this topic