Lies of the Beholder Reaction Thread [Spoilers]

Chaos

I read Legion a while ago didn't really like it that much and waited until all three of these were released and re-read all together. The first is probably my favorite after reading all three. I appreciate them more now that I have read them straight through. The biggest enjoyment I got out of the last book was the tie in to Perfect State. 

• 3 weeks later...

My reaction to the end of LotB:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY TOBIAS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY IVY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY JC

People around me may or may not have asked after my well being while reading Lies of the Beholder, so I think that y'all can tell what my reaction was. 

I loved the story, but it felt rushed in it's execution, it felt less like the grand conclusion of Steve's story than an epilogue to that story; A "What happened after" if you will, much like the events regarding the Fellowship of The Ring in the 4th age in that LOTR Appendix

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finished this one yesterday after getting the omnibus for Christmas and procrastinating it for an age and a day. I'm... conflicted. We got to see some of the things that had been hinted at: aspects turning into nightmares, Sandra, Stephen's overall downward spiral coming to a head. But none of them got real room to breath. There's been so many hints about rules and mechanics to the aspects that just got thrown out the window. The scene with Lua on the deserted island kinda says that this is on purpose, that the reals are made up and the mechanics don't matter. If this was just the last story by itself, I would be fine with this, but hints from the earlier books (particularly JC interacting with Stephen more physically) implied there was something more real to what was going on in his head, something potentially superhuman. This ending kinda laughs at you for expecting answers to questions from earlier in the series. There are a lot of things that are left deliberately ambiguous but not in a good way, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Silus - Shard of Flame said:

(particularly JC interacting with Stephen more physically)

I think Stephen's rationale for this makes sense. JC was the tool Stephen's mind used to guide his hand to the right place. Possibly just a red herring.

Although maybe we'll learn more in Perfect State 2.

• 1 month later...
On 8.10.2018 at 11:10 PM, Argel said:

I read all 3 back to back. So much I had forgotten about the middle book. Overall I really enjoyed reading trough all three again, and really enjoyed the third book.  Very impressive setting overall. Would not mind seeing a prequel or something that takes place in between 2 and 3. 

The story of the teleporting cat!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

So I think maybe I misunderstood the ending. On my first couple of readings, I thought that Stephen was using journaling to reform his aspects anew. However, looking at people's responses it sounds like the shadow of Tobias was merely echoes in his head, prompting him to write fanfic about his aspects? Did anyone else think he was reforming his aspects?