What do you think is going to happen in book three

shadewolf

Before even reading Words of Radiance, we knew that a couple of events were going to happen, such as a confrontation between Szeth and Kaladin, Amaram and Kaladin, Shallan arriving at the shattered plains. What events do you think are very likely to happen in book 3

from where we left off

Kaladin is about to head to hearthstone to find his parent. I don't think he'll find them there, and it will lead him on a journey to find them, and save as many as he can.

Shallan is back in Urithiru, I don't think she'll leave the place just yet, due the fact after kaladin leaves she's the only person that can operate the Oathgate. She'll eventually meet up with the ghostbloods and learn what they're working towards.

Jasnah, elsecalled back to Roshar, but where? Second question, does it even matter, she could've master her transportation surge, and can just teleport herself to the Shattered-plains or Urithiru after getting more stormlight. A confrontation between her and Shallan will definitely happen about the ghost bloods.

I have no clue and what will happen with any of the male Kholins.

Dalinar will try to be even more of a diplomat than he was in the last book, the afteraffects of the everstorm will however convince people he's not crazy and his major confrontation this book seems to be with Taravangian. I wonder if he'll even get a single viewpoint chapter in book three. At this point though I wouldn't mind, his character development has more or less ended, and his actions not being known might lead to a better story. Like how he confronted Amaram at the end of book 2.

Adolin... I have no clue at this point, he'll be around shallan, and renarin, there are alot of theories of him becoming jealous, that and his actions at the end of book three will be his major character arcs in the book.

Renarin, I think he'll keep his power hidden for a while longer, well atleast untill he learns to use growth and regrowth. Urithiru does need to get a proper food supply, as well as healers. But I wonder if we'll get a view point from him in the book.

Szeth, we know we'll be getting his backstory, he's off to confront the stone shamanate, but what next. Will he join Nalan's hunt for radiants? How long will his chapter even be, we're getting alot of view point characters now

*Spoilers for WoR ahead*

You totally forgot about a certain death that Adolin caused. People will be pointing fingers at Dalinar, undoubtedly, so his viewpoint is definitely not over.

I think that one or more of Kaladin's parents will be dead, and he will seek revenge (Probably Roshone's fault) and reunite with Laral (who wanted a lighteyes remember?). Then he's off to Kholinar as Dalinar wanted, and will meet Jezrien (who is probably evil now, like the rest). He will have a bunch of things to do there and will most likely end up teleporting part of it to Urithuru once he finds out how to fix it.

Remember when Hoid "found" Jasnah, and she knew exactly where the nearest town was? Wanna bet it'll be Hearthstone? Hoid will probably be with her as well, unless his foresight says otherwise.

I know this is mostly a Szeth book, so it will be interesting to see his flashbacks. He will be killing the Shin who made him Truthless before Nalan gives him other targets, but I wonder if he won't end up as a good guy by the end. That would be cool if he headed the Skybreakers order.

No idea about Shallan or Renarin though. I hope there will be a love triangle of some sort though. There's been discussion about that.

Now for the big question: Who will die? Come on guys, its gotta be someone...

Well personally I think that Szeth will drive the book. He will most assuradly confront the Shin that made him truthless. He will hopefully go after Mr. T next. The fact that Nightblood only destroys evil might make for some interesting complications. Would it want to kill Radiants, even Mr. T is trying to save humanity albeit in a twisted, egocentric way.

Kaladin will probably be off trying to help in Althekar with the riots and such. Towards the end of the book he will be at the head of a full or near full roster of close to ten KR. One from each order. Getting ready for an epic battle against Eshonni and the voidbringers.

Shallon will prolly progress w Adolin, hope there is no love triangle w Kaladin, but its set up to happen. Maybe Kaladin will find his own love interest, Jasnah or another new female radiant. Shallons art and lightweaving will progress. She will finally learn soulcasting from Jasnah. The ghostbloods will intrigue and confuse her, but by the end she will made a difficult decisions. The addition of her brothers will also further complicate her life.

Dalinar and Navani will grow closer. He will be put in a tough spot when he finds out Adolin killed Sadeas. He will progress w his powers and his attention will shift more to helping Renarin. We may finally learn more of his backstory.

I could go on and on, but ill stop here. Someone important will die too, I'm guessing Elkohar. Some political intrigue will ensue.

Brandon recently said at a signing that he doesn't like traditional love triangles, but he does like conflict in relationships. Given this statement and the hints in WoR, I  think that Shallan's relationship with Adolin will end and then she will hook up with Kaladin.

Traditional love triangles involve a lot of angst in wondering which one to pick. I don't think that'll be a big factor.

I think that Shallan and Kaladin will just be friends, but Adolin will think that they are more. Plus, he will have a problem coping with "what happened" and that will make him lash out at little things, putting friction in his relationships (his romantic relationship, his familial relationships and his relationship with his friends).

Agree with pretty much everything you said. Also

Now for the big question: Who will die? Come on guys, its gotta be someone...

My money's on Jasnah ('you thought she was safe, didnt you?') For the same reason people expected her to die in this book - either she or Dalinar, finally offed by Mr. T and yet another step on the way of Adolin's total deconstruction. Cause, y'know there are too many Kholins still alive. Im hoping for Renarin, since I most definitely dont share the love most folks here seem to have for him, but IMO is not likely.

Are we forgetting about the Everstorm circling the globe!? At the end of WoR we are told that it is expected to hit Shin in a few days. Shinovar has never seen a storm anywhere near this powerful. Will it be a huge disaster? Will there be some sort of protection over Shinovar from Cultivation? Then, what will happen to all the parshmen across Roshar when that storm hits?

I personally think that Adolins killing will be discovered and he will be banished. (He states that if he killed Sadeas he would either get executed or banished). Then he'll go on his own adventure being broken, probably revive his sword (unless it gets taken away because of his banishment). Stuff will go down. 

*Spoilers for WoR ahead*

You totally forgot about a certain death that Adolin caused. People will be pointing fingers at Dalinar, undoubtedly, so his viewpoint is definitely not over.

And what better way for Adolins character to progress, when he finds out that his father is being blamed. I think he might have one or two point of views, but alot less than book two.

I think that one or more of Kaladin's parents will be dead, and he will seek revenge (Probably Roshone's fault) and reunite with Laral (who wanted a lighteyes remember?). Then he's off to Kholinar as Dalinar wanted, and will meet Jezrien (who is probably evil now, like the rest). He will have a bunch of things to do there and will most likely end up teleporting part of it to Urithuru once he finds out how to fix it.

Another revenge plotline would be repetitive and a step back, no I see Kaladins journey in book three more about leadership, on what constitutes being a good leader. Roshone might meet his comeuppance, but it won't be by kaladin's hands.

Remember when Hoid "found" Jasnah, and she knew exactly where the nearest town was? Wanna bet it'll be Hearthstone? Hoid will probably be with her as well, unless his foresight says otherwise.

That was actually might first thought, that she arrived near Hearthstone. I reread the epilogue like 4 times trying to analyze the geography mentioned in the chapter, from the hills mentioned, it wouldn't be out of place, it's just a forest was also mentioned, and that's throwing me off.

I know this is mostly a Szeth book, so it will be interesting to see his flashbacks. He will be killing the Shin who made him Truthless before Nalan gives him other targets, but I wonder if he won't end up as a good guy by the end. That would be cool if he headed the Skybreakers order.

It's possible now that he knows that he could've stopped killing at any moment, he may have to face that he was a coward, and find answers to the question of what is law, how should it be handled, by the intent of the law, or by the wording.

Now for the big question: Who will die? Come on guys, its gotta be someone...

Lol that's what I'd like to know too.

Are we forgetting about the Everstorm circling the globe!? At the end of WoR we are told that it is expected to hit Shin in a few days. Shinovar has never seen a storm anywhere near this powerful. Will it be a huge disaster? Will there be some sort of protection over Shinovar from Cultivation? Then, what will happen to all the parshmen across Roshar when that storm hits?

Well I thought about this for a bit, long story short, Shin and Makibaki are screwed due to the highstorm itself. The damage from voidbringers is what's really unpredictable. the only thing we can try and predict are the characters reactions during and after the storm. Right now everyone is esentially on Urithiru, with limited supplies, and worse mobility, there's very little they can do other than prepare.

Adolin's actions most definitely would throw a wrench into Dalinar's position. As it Dalinar IS the Alethi king in all but name, so a death in a city during routine patrol will fall squarely in his responsibility. I'm guessing that Renarin's power might foresee (or have already foreseen) something that connects Adolin with Sadeas' murder, so that would also kickstart their conflict. Paranoid!Adolin would be a welcome change from his rather spoilt personality so far.

Szeth's gonna go ballistic at his old Shin masters. Though I'm sure they had a trick up their sleeves to explain why he was made Truthless. Hopefully Szeth's sense of self is strong enough to contain Nightblood from wanting to kill everyone.

Kaladin's gonna have a bit of issue coming home with light eyes. Maybe his family would be uncertain? Though I don't imagine Kaladin acting any differently to his parents. Bonus point: He starts ordering Roshone around since he's now got a Shardblade AND very very light eyes which makes him possibly several rung higher in dahn than Roshone. Better yet if Elhokar gives him a letter that states his ranking. Hopefully he meets Jasnah and Hoid because a meeting between these 3 crazy people are overdue. Also Jasnah will be able to tell him more about Spren theories, and maybe Syl can also meet Ivory.

Shin has no mountain on the West, and therefore will have a tough time with the Everstorm. If Nightwatcher is the uvber Cultivation-spren though, perhaps we might see some pure Cultivation power being utilised to save the nation? 

Elhokar will either step down or crown Dalinar King Regent. I think after the last convo with Kal he might be more open to the idea that he's got shitton to learn before he can be a good King. I would also wager that due to the Riots in Kholinar we might finally see his wife.

Shallan will be helping Dalinar and Navani as their right hand woman. By night she goes around as Veil. I'm expecting her to not leave Urithiru for a while, or if she does it won't be on a prolonged adventure.

On my mobile so I can't quote properly

Elhokar will either step down or crown Dalinar King Regent. I think after the last convo with Kal he might be more open to the idea that he's got shitton to learn before he can be a good King. I would also wager that due to the Riots in Kholinar we might finally see his wife.

Agree with you about the wife but.. why the heck should Elhokar step down? Yes, he's a mediocre king and weak human being. Yes, he needs to learn how to be a leader. How would step down help him in this?

Similarly, Dalinar really needs to learn how not to be a well meaning tyrant and let people decide for themselves, and part of the reason Elhokar is this way is how overshadowed he feels by the rest of his family. King Dalinar would be a disaster, not to mention cheap storytelling - not all main fantasy characters have got to be kings, they can live just fine as kings' uncles.

Also, Kaladin would join me in being horrified at the idea of Crown Prince Adolin :P

Edited by _Elena

If this happens I think Dalinar will be 100% dead by book 5.

On my mobile so I can't quote properly
Agree with you about the wife but.. why the heck should Elhokar step down? Yes, he's a mediocre king and weak human being. Yes, he needs to learn how to be a leader. How would step down help him in this?
Similarly, Dalinar really needs to learn how not to be a well meaning tyrant and let people decide for themselves, and part of the reason Elhokar is this way is how overshadowed he feels by the rest of his family. King Dalinar would be a disaster, not to mention cheap storytelling - not all main fantasy characters have got to be kings, they can live just fine as kings' uncles.
Also, Kaladin would join new in being horrified at the idea of Crown Prince Adolin :P

I'm inclined to agree with _Elena here. Despite Dalinar being the power behind the throne, he's mentioned on multiple occasions that he absolutely does not want to covet his brother's throne.

“I spent years following you,” Dalinar said. “I gave you my loyalty, my devotion, and my counsel. I swore myself to you—promising myself, vowing to myself, that I would never covet Gavilar’s throne. 

I think it's more likely that there will come a point where Elhokar will have to grow into a proper leader. I think that Kaladin's growing as leader will mirror or be alongside this. It wouldn't surprise me if Kaladin perhaps grows as a leader to further his own progression as a Knight Radiant, and then he may go back to Elhokar and take him up on his request that he (Kaladin) teach him (Elhokar) to be a better leader. I don't think that "teach" is necessarily the appropriate term, but I think that he could very well help Elhokar grow as part of his own growth.

Edited by Shadow Guardian

I think that Shallan and Kaladin will just be friends, but Adolin will think that they are more. Plus, he will have a problem coping with "what happened" and that will make him lash out at little things, putting friction in his relationships (his romantic relationship, his familial relationships and his relationship with his friends).

That would be a nice way to handle conflict in a relationship, and I believe that what Adonlin did will put considerable strain on a lot of his relationships. especially if it causes a lot of inner turmoil. Or he might not feel that bad at all about what he did and take a different path. 

How the Shin deal with the Everstorm will definitely have some focus, and how the rest of Roshar deals with it too since due to Taravangian's interference, and the wars he triggered, news won't exactly travel fast. So with many civil wars and the collapse of many governments dealing with the Everstom will be difficult. Though Shallan opening the other Oathgates might also feature heavily in parts of the book too, as will looking for the library that may or may not even exist.  And if more Radients are discovered getting them (or at least the ones we know of) will have a lot to deal with. And Lopen will continue to be the awesome no-longer-one-armed Herdazian that he is. ^_^

There will probably also be confrontation, or at least some difficulties, for Shallan if during her infiltration of the Ghostbloods she runs in Jasnah. Especially if she first realises Jasnah's alive while being Veil. 

Elhokar struggling to be a better ruler will be interesting too, depending on what the nature of the spren that were following him before is. If he's destined to be a Radient then (with Kaladin's help or not) he has to potential to become a better ruler. Though if the spren that were haunting him are more malevolent (and Voidish) in nature then any attempts in improving might be lead him astray. So I think Elhokar will provide an interesting subplot at least.

I think Adolin is on a dark path, his hatred and ultimate murder of Sadeas has a very Odious tone to it.  I think that during the storm Kaladin and Shallan formed a bond and when she describes him she senses something special. With Adolin it seems more superficial (the only thing she ever says about him is that he's handsome). 

I think Kaladin's story now will be about leadership, his first two books and the 2nd and 3rd ideal were about protecting my guess is the next two are about leading.  Kaladin will see bad leadership first in Hearthstone and next in Kholinar and might get tangled up in some kind of lighteyed rebellion and will have to learn to be a great leader, leading through inspiration and trust instead of fear and hate like Roshone and the Queen.  His conflict will be between the darkeyed cause and bringing peace.  He will have all kinds of issues reuniting with his family too his father might be dead or an alcoholic, or refuse to talk to him and his mother might also be dead.  Leral has probably become very bitter married to Roshone and there will dfinately be conflict there.

It would be really cool if Jasnah ended up in Hearthstone and met Kaladin. They could have some interesting interactions and then go save Kholinar together with Hoid.  Otherwise I have no idea what she will do. 

Shallan will become more tangled between the Radiants, proper Vorinism and Alethi standards, and the Ghostbloods.  We may also get an interesting viewpoint of the potential corruption of Adolin. 

Dalinar and Renarin who probably never saw eye to eye will grow closer and Renarin will probably become more important as he will have to have a book (either book four, but it will probably be Jasnah, or in the second five) because BS has said that there will be a book dedicated to each of the ten orders and if book three is Szeth and the Skybreakers then that makes it impossible to get all five main character radiants in the first five (Kaladin 1, Shallan 2, Szeth 3?. Jasnah or Renarin 4?, Dalinar confirmed 5).  Dalinar will probably but out a call for Radiants to come to the broken plains.

If it really is Szeth's book, Wit will show up somewhere to talk to Szeth and tell him what he needs to hear when he needs to hear it to help him realize he must stop Nalan from whatever it is that is his ultimate end goal.  Or Szeth will become an agent of Odium and become even more hateful and broken.

Edited by thejopen27

Something will happen at the Purelake - call it gut feeling, but I think it's an important location. The Everstorm coming from the wrong direction seems exactly the kind of thing that would trigger it to do something strange. Maybe it will flood wherever the water normally retreats to? Maybe it will form a tsunami and swamp Tu Bayla?

Also, according to the colour map Shinovar does have a western range of mountains, so it might be *slightly* more sheltered than suggested. Aimia, on the other hand...

Hopefully he meets Jasnah and Hoid because a meeting between these 3 crazy people are overdue. Also Jasnah will be able to tell him more about Spren theories, and maybe Syl can also meet Ivory.

I'm pretty sure that if Kaladin does meet Jasnah in hearthstone, Wit won't be with her at the time, otherwise it would be too straightforward.

Does anybody else get the feeling that BS is setting up some stuff too stereotypical? I think there are going to be some crazy crap happen and it's only going to get better.

Well it's not like we predicted everything that was going to happen in book 2. I do believe that BS will definitely have a couple of surprises.

Something will happen at the Purelake - call it gut feeling, but I think it's an important location. The Everstorm coming from the wrong direction seems exactly the kind of thing that would trigger it to do something strange. Maybe it will flood wherever the water normally retreats to? Maybe it will form a tsunami and swamp Tu Bayla?

Also, according to the colour map Shinovar does have a western range of mountains, so it might be *slightly* more sheltered than suggested. Aimia, on the other hand...

lol it'll be hardly any more protection, althekar and the shattered plains also have mountains to the east yet the high storms still pummel them.

Way of Kings took place over several months. Words of Radiance took place over only a few Rosharan weeks. I predict the trend will continue. Book 3 will be only a few days long, Book 4 will be a few hours, and Book 5 will entirely filled with different POV's and flashbacks, and will occupy less than an hour in realtime. The page count of each book will continue to expand, though.

Way of Kings took place over several months. Words of Radiance took place over only a few Rosharan weeks. I predict the trend will continue. Book 3 will be only a few days long, Book 4 will be a few hours, and Book 5 will entirely filled with different POV's and flashbacks, and will occupy less than an hour in realtime. The page count of each book will continue to expand, though.

that's actually debatable, we know that book 2 covers about 70-80 days

book 1 also seems to cover about the same time frame.

Actually, we have WoB that Kaladin's parents are alive. I do think, however, that they've left Hearthstone. My guess is they went to Hesina's parents. However, I really don't think things will be good with Lirin. This has been discussed at length in other threads.

We haven't seen a lot of Elhokar growth in the first two books. I'm expecting to see far more in the coming ones. The scene in WoR when he goes to Kaladin's room indicates that Elhokar is not dumb. He sees what's going on, and he's struggling with constantly being a failure. I was actually going to start a topic about this, because I think he's a major character that people are overlooking. I can't blame him for feeling inadequate. His father united an entire country, his mother is a renowned engineer, and his older sister was a child genius and now the most important scholar in the world (at least as far as I see it). And yet every time he tries to do something it goes wrong.

I think he is also on his way way to becoming a KR. He sees triangle spren in the mirror and corner of his eyes, just like Shallan. He also notes that Kaladin seems to have scared them off. With Kaladin leaving Urithiru, I'm expecting whichever spren were following him to come back full force. Elhokar's going to have a lot of lessons to learn, and my guess is that we'll get to see more come Book 3. 

Predictions:

- Wit will wear a wig while talking to Adolin

- Jasnah will end up with Kaladin for most of the book (this is mainly because there are too many PoV locations otherwise and it's still too early for Jasnah to interact a lot with Shallan)

- Jasnah will end up with Szeth near the end of the book (early on Szeth will have too many issues, but Jasnah/Szeth need to work this out at some point)

- Jasnah + Szeth resolves the issue about the black gem

- Kaladin will have to deal with rioting darkeyes resenting him in Kholinar (in a reflection of his attitude from before) - might be where Tarah arc is resolved

- Kaladin's Fourth Ideal will be about letting those capable put themselves in harms way to protect others (one of his major remaining hang-ups)

- Shallan will find out about Kaladin killing Helaran early in the book (too much obfuscation in WoR and too many people know at this point)

- Kaladin and Shallan will not interact for most of the book except indirectly (necessary to make previous point relevant)

- Lift will become KR (either Gawp comes to Urithiru or someone goes to talk with Gawp)

- Jez's Honorblade will be used by Dalinar, then Adolin, and later stolen (probably Ghostbloods, maybe with Shallan's help) - I don't think the Honorblade can really be left floating around

- Part of Adolin's arc will be Honorblade addiction as Adolin thinks he needs to 'keep up' to be useful

- Adolin will kill Amaram

- There will be a falling out between Renarin and Adolin

Im hoping for Renarin, since I most definitely dont share the love most folks here seem to have for him, but IMO is not likely.

What have you done... The wrath of a thousand Renarin fans shall be brought open these forums. We are all doomed...