Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Here's what I consider a pretty simple explanation of the Julia set.

Take a mathematical function f(x). Choose a random number x0, from the domain of that function. Find out what f(x0) is (let's say f(x0) = x1), then feed it back into f. Find out what f(x1) is. Feed that back into to get x2. Repeat to infinity for all possible initial numbers x0. All the original numbers, or seeds, that give you a sequence x0, x1, x2, x3, ... of fairly similar numbers are something we'll call "prisoner set of f;" all the seeds that give you erratic sequences x0x1x2x3, ... will be the "escapee set of f." Well, the Julia set of the function f is the set of those seeds that form the border between the prisoner set and the escapee set.

Here, let me edit with an example.

John Carroll University has a really nice vignette on Julia sets, so I am going to use their example - it's clear enough and it saves me some work.

Let's take our function to be f(x) = x2 - 0.5. We now need to look at all the possible x0 we could feed into this function - which, in this case, means all (real and imaginary!) numbers. To illustrate the prisoner and escapee sets, however, we'll only look at a couple of numbers.

If we take x0 = 0 (0 is always nice, makes math easy), we get the following sequence x0x1x2x3, ... :

x0 = 0

x1 = f(x0) = f(0) = - 0.5

x2 = f(x1) = f(-0.5) = - 0.75

x3 = f(x2) = f(-0.75) = 0.0625

If we continue this, we'll see that the numbers we get never move too far away from the original x0 = 0. This means 0 is part of our prisoner set.

Now, we take a different x0, let's say 2. Do the same thing:

x0 = 2

x1 = f(x0) = f(2) = 3.5

x2 = f(x1) = f(3.5) = 11.75

x3 = f(x2) = f(11.75) = 137.563

Unlike the case where x0 = 0, here it's easy to see that the numbers will continue growing (exponentially). This kind of behavior means x0 = 2 is a part of the escapee set of f. It's also easy to see that any number greater than 2 will also be a part of the escapee set, by the way.

Now all you need to do is repeat the same thing for all the numbers (keep in mind, the example I gave doesn't even touch the imaginary numbers / components), plot them, see which one(s) form a boundary between prisoner and escapee sets, and voilà - Julia set!

If you are curious, here's how the Julia set of our example function looks like:

SgKvKEX.gif

Good, very good explanation, and upvote for writing it.

I would note, thought, that I had a pretty easy time creating a function for which this explanation isn't sufficient by itself (I deliberately set out to do so).  It's not relevant for this thread, but if any one out there is looking deeper, don't feel you're going crazy if the real mathematicians start using terms much more obscure but technically accurate.

Mind, I think that any explanation should start with this explanation as a motivation.  Reading the Wikipedia articles on Julia sets was far from useful.

I must say, great job, guys! This thread is amazing and terrifying at the same time. It is basically 17th Shard condenses into a single thread. This thread represents everything this site is: a sanctuary for the many insane fans of Brandon Sanderson and all of their differences. Everyone here has something great about them, and this lets us all shine!

It is also threads like this that must terrify Brandon. That anyone is willing to this in-depth into his works is kind of frightening. We are like a fanatic cult, more than a simple fan base.

I must say, great job, guys! This thread is amazing and terrifying at the same time. It is basically 17th Shard condenses into a single thread. This thread represents everything this site is: a sanctuary for the many insane fans of Brandon Sanderson and all of their differences. Everyone here has something great about them, and this lets us all shine!

It is also threads like this that must terrify Brandon. That anyone is willing to this in-depth into his works is kind of frightening. We are like a fanatic cult, more than a simple fan base.

"Emily! The Sharders are being crazy-obsessed again."

"Storms. I'll set the burglar alarm so they can't sneak in for the Stones Unhallowed outline. You stand in the doorway and RAFO everything they throw at you."

So if i understand correctly, the Julia set is chaotic in contrast to the Fatou set, which is ordered.

...is there any chance that one of the other landmasses/planets/Shadesmar locations in the Cosmere corresponds to a Fatou set, thus indicating it to be either diametrically opposed or linked to Roshar?

And just when i thought I'd STOPPED going mad over this problem.

Would one of you guys be willing to summarize what was found so I can be lazy and not have to go through 34 pages of posts to find the tidbit of info? And in English please, not Mathematics  :D I read all the posts on this page and my brain just automatically went into auto pilot as soon as it saw algebraic type equations and graphs n stuff LOL. I am SOOOOOO not a math person!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!!

Would one of you guys be willing to summarize what was found so I can be lazy and not have to go through 34 pages of posts to find the tidbit of info? And in English please, not Mathematics  :D I read all the posts on this page and my brain just automatically went into auto pilot as soon as it saw algebraic type equations and graphs n stuff LOL. I am SOOOOOO not a math person!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!!

If you go back to the opening post, Rshara has updated it with both a summary of all 34 pages of the thread (courtesy of Veil) and the "actual answer" discovered by Veil and Jensen. Essentially, there is a mathematical thing called a Julia set, of which Argent gives a good explanation. One of these generates a graph that looks identical to the map of Roshar. 

(It's a bit more complicated than that, since the graph is actually 4-dimensional, and the discussion on the previous page was about how to describe which portion of the graph resembles Roshar).

I wanted to say I was touched and got a warm feeling inside and it made me smile with a little bit of pride, and then my brain overrode my fingers because I couldn't think of a none-sappy way of saying that and it made me do the pun to cover my embarrassment but also still try to convey my pleasure.... Brains.... can't live with 'em...

Brains.... can't live with 'em...

That's it, that's literally the end of the saying :) I can't believe how easily amused I am. I have been online for about ten minutes today and I have already laughed heartily at the probably FIVE posts that I read here. UPVOTES FOR THE LOT O' YE!!

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 416749872 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

oh wow you linked my post in your sig thingy! I'm delightfully flattered :D

No worries :) It just makes so much sense! I'm delighted that seems to have made your day!

(and I.....totally reused your pun because.....excuse my ignorance, is Maffu a word?)

I agree with Kobold King, you should go check out the pun thread :D

When you said 

atop them stands one man, waving a Shardpen and pushing the boundaries of storytelling into dimensions we didn't even know were there.

I just had this image of Brandon standing on a desk amid towering piles of papers that literally cover the desk, the floors,and the mahogany bookshelves behind him, dramatically holding up a glowing blue pen with stories pouring out the end of it. And that's just pure awesome. So thank you.

Edited by Delightful

Brandon reading this:

Oh god, I wish it was that easy...

Shardpens can be tricky. If you drop it, you've got to wait ten heartbeats before you can start writing again. And if you absentmindedly chew on the tip, you can accidentally sever the soul from your lower jaw.

Well, if Brandon's using a magic system, I'm sure he hasn't written about it. After all, no one character knows everything, and if he'd written about the magic system he was using, he'd be a character that knew everything about it. The universe would collide with the Cosmere, and physics would fail as Investiture migrated to areas of low pressure.

So I have the Knights Radiant chart as my wallpaper and I was looking at it this morning as my computer booted up, and I had a thought but am not good enough with computers to follow through with it. Has anyone tried to match up the chart with the Rose compass on the map of Roshar? It seems like the odd placement of the rose lines might match up with the center of the chart. Also do we know who the pictures are of that are on the border of that chart? I am kind of new to the site and haven't had the chance to research everything I want to yet.

Also do we know who the pictures are of that are on the border of that chart?

Those are depictions of the Heralds, although how much they actually look like the Heralds they are supposed to depict is unknown.

Those are depictions of the Heralds, although how much they actually look like the Heralds they are supposed to depict is unknown.

That's what I thought, it's just that some of them look as though they might be female, and no I am not sexist, I just thought I remembered that they were all kings before they became Heralds, so I was just confused.

That's what I thought, it's just that some of them look as though they might be female, and no I am not sexist, I just thought I remembered that they were all kings before they became Heralds, so I was just confused.

Half of the Heralds were female, Jezrien is the only one who was said to be a King before being a herald.

Half the Heralds are male, half are female.

Q:  Can you confirm the real names of the Heralds for me?

A:  Jezrien, Nale, Chanarach (nickname: Chana), Vedel, Paliah (nickname: Pali), Shalash (nickname: Ash), Battar, Kalak, Talenel (nickname: Taln), Ishar.

Jezrien-male

Nale-male

Chanarach-female

Vedel-female

Paliah-female

Shalash-female(Jezrien's daughter)

Battar-female

Kalak-male

Talenel-male

Ishar-male