Q: (overheard at a distance) Is there time travel in the Cosmere?

A: We haven't seen time travel into the past, but we have seen it into the future in Alloy of Law.

Does he just mean cadmium burning? Or Bendalloy? Or has some character gone forward? I wonder.

On another note, I really hope Nightblood doesn't turn into a deus ex machina-type since it's a Shardblade (before we even knew what Shardblades were back in Warbreaker) and leagues more powerful for an as-of-yet-unknown reason. I really don't want it becoming an unstoppable weapon for no reason.

This might be as good a place as any to mention that at the Provo midnight release of Words of Radiance, I had Mr. Sanderson personalize my book in a specific way. I asked if he could tell me something about dawnshards that we don't/won't know or if I get RAFO could he put his favorite quote... I worded it that way because I didn't know if WoR had any info already. But luckily I got this sneaky little morsel of an answer

One dawnshard is not like the rest. 

What is a dawnshard, though?  There's not much info on them.

“Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.” —From The Poem of Ista. I have found no modern explanation of what these “Dawnshards” are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 524). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

This is the only description I can find. 

Edited by gravytrain

Question- are there any hints in the Ars Arcanum of Words of Radiance that implies Cosmere awareness, and comparisons to various magic systems?

Yes. The Lightweaving section references Yolish and Sellian lightweaving. Why do you ask here?

“Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.” —From The Poem of Ista. I have found no modern explanation of what these “Dawnshards” are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 524). Tor Books. Kindle Edition.

This is the only description I can find. 

From what I can gather, Dawnshards are the third type of shard blade that has been hinted at by brandon. Not like an honor blade or a regular (alive or dead) shard blade. 

That quote is by far the biggest tibet we have. It can bind creatures both voidish or mortal? This just screams powerful to me. They have to be something big if we know so little about them. Shardblades are coveted, honorblades are godly, but a dawnshard? Makes me wonder...

This might be as good a place as any to mention that at the Provo midnight release of Words of Radiance, I had Mr. Sanderson personalize my book in a specific way. I asked if he could tell me something about dawnshards that we don't/won't know or if I get RAFO could he put his favorite quote... I worded it that way because I didn't know if WoR had any info already. But luckily I got this sneaky little morsel of an answer

One dawnshard is not like the rest. 

Ooh!  Can you post a picture?

The thing is, if you put Dawnshards in the same group as Honorblades and Shardblades, you immediately turn the "both voidish and mortal" into a statement of comparison to the other items in the same set. So, if you say that Dawnshards can bind both, you imply that Honorblades bind one, and Shardblades bind the other; which doesn't seem to be the case, as neither Blade actively binds creatures, as far as we know at least. Honorblades presumably do what they do because Honor created them this way, and Shardblades don't really bind anything, they are bonded with (Knights Radiant bond with their spren, which in turn can transform into Shardblades).

The thing is, if you put Dawnshards in the same group as Honorblades and Shardblades, you immediately turn the "both voidish and mortal" into a statement of comparison to the other items in the same set. So, if you say that Dawnshards can bind both, you imply that Honorblades bind one, and Shardblades bind the other; which doesn't seem to be the case, as neither Blade actively binds creatures, as far as we know at least. Honorblades presumably do what they do because Honor created them this way, and Shardblades don't really bind anything, they are bonded with (Knights Radiant bond with their spren, which in turn can transform into Shardblades).

you have a point here, but we have to start somewhere in our theories right? I can't help but shake the feeling that were missing something a bouts the blades  and shards in general. We finally know that spren imitate the honorblades and become shard blades. The honor blades grant the power of surge binding and were created by honor for specific use by the heralds. We still do not know the history or origin of shard plate, only that we know szeth couldn't use it, kaladin doesn't hear screaming when he touches it (such as when he used it during the adolin duel as a gauntlet), and that the radiants in dalanars vision were able to use it. But where does it come from and what does it have to do with surge binding? The next point of interest is that dawnshards have yet to really be mentioned... maybe I am being rash in saying this, but I think they are related to the other shard/blades that we have seen so far, but I retain the theory that they are more powerful, and one in particular is different then the rest...

RShara, I asked 3 questions at the Omaha Signing if you want to add them.

Q. What secret group, if any, was Shallan's mother a part of?

B. RAFO

Q. Was Shallan's father influenced at all by Odium?

B. Yes

Q. Is it possible to bind with more than one spren? (then I added in) of different types?

B. I'm not going to say it's Impossible

Also, I recorded a video of his reading from "The Silence Divine" if anyone would like to transcribe it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

*Edit* Left a word out of one of my questions.

Edited by Macen

RShara, I asked 3 questions at the Omaha Signing if you want to add them.

Q. What group, if any, was Shallan's mother a part of?

B. RAFO

Q. Was Shallan's father influenced at all by Odium?

B. Yes

Q. Is it possible to bind with more than one spren? (then I added in) of different types?

B. I'm not going to say it's Impossible

Also, I recorded a video of his reading from "The Silence Divine" if anyone would like to transcribe it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Could you post this in the thread in the Events forum? That is where signing reports are supposed to go.

!!  Caught this toward the end of the audio for the San Fran signing

Q:  At the very end of WoR, Dalinar touches a Shardblade and it screams at him.  Should that particular Blade have been safe??

A:  No it should not have.  It's a clue that something has happened.  There are other clues that something is wrong with what the story you've been told is.

Q:  Did Hoid switch out the blades?

A:  Hoid did not switch out the blades, but good question.

A:  Hoid did not switch out the blades, but good question.

That's...pretty huge. Who else had an opportunity to make a swap? Hoid was there when Taln first showed up and during the wagon trip; wouldn't he have noticed a change in blades? If it happened after Hoid, then wouldn't the driver have noticed the change?

That's...pretty huge. Who else had an opportunity to make a swap? Hoid was there when Taln first showed up and during the wagon trip; wouldn't he have noticed a change in blades? If it happened after Hoid, then wouldn't the driver have noticed the change?

There might have been no swap. Taln might have just unsummoned his Blade, and Hoid planted a Blade on him so Taln's wouldn't be taken.