What's With the Spam

16 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Laugh, report, repeat :)

(You report a spam post by clicking on the flag, a mod will zap it and ban the user once they see it)

Already on it.

Question, will this end with a handful of Sharders facing down an endless army of bots or is there an end to this apocalypse in sight?

Also is it just me or is the rate of spam increasing, it seems like there wasn't this much spam this frequently a few days ago.

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

Oh its increasing like crazy. Pre- Oathbringer it was a few a week I'd see. After maybe 2 a day. In recent weeks maybe 5. And the last week I'm probably reporting 10 or more a day? But there are mods in every time zone so all we can do is report and they typically do their brutal business pretty quickly. This time its particularly bad as most Americans are asleep.

So they'll keep coming. But by reporting quickly we minimize the chance most Sharders will see many :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the mods are doing a great job, I rarely see spam that has been on for longer than 1 hour. But the spam keeps coming, I often report 2-6 spam posts per day. I think that we don't need more mods as much as we need preventative measures. I hypothesize that the spammers are actual people and therefore can get past the Captcha. If Captchas are no longer a viable source of defense then what do we do? We make the site less attractive to spammers. After some cursory research, I think I have found a relatively simple way to do exactly this. We make all past, present, and future external links nofollow, whatever spam farm is funding this will no longer be able to make a profit and the spammers will move on to easier prey. In a few months, we remove the external link ban and hope the spammers don't realize that we have.

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

8 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

I agree that the mods are doing a great job, I rarely see spam that has been on for longer than 1 hour. But the spam keeps coming, I often report 2-4 spam posts per day. I think that we don't need more mods as much as we need preventative measures. I hypothesize that the spammers are actual people and therefore can get past the Captcha. If Captchas are no longer a viable source of defense then what do we do? We make the site less attractive to spammers. After some cursory research, I think I have found a relatively simple way to do exactly this. We make all past, present, and future externel links nofollow, whatever spam farm is funding this will no longer be able to make a profit and the spammers will move on to easier prey. In a few months, we remove the external link ban and hope the spammers don't realize that we have.

I like this idea.  Although I'm afraid that it won't stop the spammers. If search ranking is what they care about,  they should notice that their links don't last long here and the chances of being noticed by crawlers are rather slim.