The Diagram (Spoilers)

RShara

I hope the  title isn't too spoilery!  Anyway the Diagram--did anyone else feel like it was a nod toward Isaac Asimov and psychohistory?  And the Ghostbloods like the Second Foundation, trying to keep it on course?

Can't wait to see what else he predicts.  I wonder why Dalinar suing for peace means he has to be killed.  Is it because of what's already happened (Parshendi betrayal) or something yet to come?

I hope the  title isn't too spoilery!  Anyway the Diagram--did anyone else feel like it was a nod toward Isaac Asimov and psychohistory?  And the Ghostbloods like the Second Foundation, trying to keep it on course?

Can't wait to see what else he predicts.  I wonder why Dalinar suing for peace means he has to be killed.  Is it because of what's already happened (Parshendi betrayal) or something yet to come?

There's another piece that says they need the Alethi to kill the Parshendi off to stave off the Everstorm.  I'd assume that's why.  But ti didn't take into account that the war would push the Parshendi to Stormform when they didn't want their gods back...  There are numerous flaws in the diagram, based around the fact that Taravangian seems to go full sociopath while Sherlockian Supersmart, and thus misses things like people trying not to destroy the world.

But who is the wanderer, the wild piece, the one who makes no sense?  I glimpse at his implications, and the world opens to me.  I shy back.  Impossible.  Is it?

-          From the Diagram, West Wall Psalm of Wonders: paragraph 8

(Notew by Adrotagia: Could this refer to Mraize?)

I'm thinking this refers to Hoid.  I wish we could get hold of the entire Diagram :D

I totally think it is a Foundation reference. Brandon has said he really liked the Foundation Trilogy (I don't know if he's read the others), so I think it is likely.

I also agree that epigraph could totally refer to Hoid. Though, Mraize is surely a Worldhopper too.

Yeah, Zahel has obviously traveled some long distances, but Hoid really gets places, and fits more with the unpredictable implications of the quote.    For one thing, you never know what he's going to say next!

It's worth noting that the Ghostbloods are probably not the people who know about the diagram. I think they're a different society.

I don't think the Ghostbloods are linked to Taravangian's Diagramists. Their goals are similar but their methods and objectives are somewhat different. For example they seem to be focused on removing Amaram and stopping the Men of Honour and are unconcerned with Dalinar and the neo-radiants, on the other hand the Diagramist assassin Graves seems to be extremely concerned when Kaladin says the 3rd Ideal.

IMO, the most interesting Diagram quote is this one from the chapter 86 header -

"One is almost certainly a traitor to the oth-"

You've got the writings of, well, let's be blunt, a man who's so intelligent that he's effectively insane.  And in the middle of his writing, he suddenly cuts off.

Why?

Also, the Diagram segment that appears to talk about the Shins' hidden Honorblades also seems to strongly suggest (at least to me) that the Diagram suggested manipulating events to bring about the creation of a Truthless.  Or in other words, Taravangian may very well be responsible for the creation of Szeth.

IMO, the most interesting Diagram quote is this one from the chapter 86 header -

"One is almost certainly a traitor to the oth-"

You've got the writings of, well, let's be blunt, a man who's so intelligent that he's effectively insane.  And in the middle of his writing, he suddenly cuts off.

Why?

Also, the Diagram segment that appears to talk about the Shins' hidden Honorblades also seems to strongly suggest (at least to me) that the Diagram suggested manipulating events to bring about the creation of a Truthless.  Or in other words, Taravangian may very well be responsible for the creation of Szeth.

It doesn't cut off in the Kindle version...

It doesn't cut off in the Kindle version...

Interesting.  It does in the Nook version.  I would have thought that they'd be identical.

It's positioned in such a way that the hyphen could be a line break, but there's nothing further.

"One is almost certainly a traitor to the oth-

- From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Desk Drawer: paragraph 27"

Edited by junior

?

I believe it says if he sues for peace it would mean Dalinar would become a rival to Mr. T's quest to become King of Everything so he would need to be killed. 

I saw that but it kinda doesn't make a lot of sense.  Dalinar is probably a better leader, and at least has a consistent intelligence than Mr. T.  I wonder how T-Centric the Diagram is... lol...Given that the more "brilliant" he is, the less common sense he seems to have, I think he has a really big blind spot on who would be best to lead the nations of Roshar.

Really hope is not Shallan the traitor... but don't see who else can be :(

I was thinking that it might be Adolin; Sadeas' death was brutal and done out of pure hatred.  I know she may or may not be working with the Ghostbloods now, but it seems like everyone's primary goal should be surviving the Everstorm the next time it comes around.

I was thinking that it might be Adolin; Sadeas' death was brutal and done out of pure hatred.  I know she may or may not be working with the Ghostbloods now, but it seems like everyone's primary goal should be surviving the Everstorm the next time it comes around.

Even so, I think Sadeas would probably still have been alive at the end if he hadn't started spouting his absurd conspiracy theory regarding Dalinar and the Parshendi.  I think what finally pushed Adolin over the edge was the recognition that Sadeas himself had already gone over that edge.  Sadeas's lust for power made it impossible for him to accept that Dalinar was right.