[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

Mestiv

1 minute ago, BlackYeti said:
  Hide contents

The Pantheon is the name of the archipelago, i.e. it refers to the islands.

This is actually a major plot point in Sixth of the Dusk: Vathi can't figure out initially why Dusk is carrying around a bird from the mainland since they aren't aviar. It's how she eventually figures out that the abilities aren't actually tied to the birds themselves, but the the worms the birds eat. 

Sorry my bad just re-read some part of Sixth of Dusk I was remembering incorrectly.

I hate to bust all the Aviar theorys but it doesnt quite mesh with the timeline

please see the great timeline by @Overstorm

Spoiler

the discovery that Aviar from the mainland can gain powers there is very new and that happens in Sixth of the Dusk, and that happens well after the events we know now. It could still be a standard Aviar i guess, The perpendicularity is incredibly dangerous , which is why it is hard to study according to Arcanum unbounded  

Please correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure that means our favorite Mraize is just a pirate

Edited by PunSpren
corrected *

1 minute ago, PunSpren said:

Reveal hidden contents

the discovery that Aviar from the mainland can gain powers there is very new and that happens in Sixth of the Dusk, and that happens well after the events we know now. It could still be a standard Aviar i guess, but unless im mistaken there is not a perpendicularity near that system, which is why it is hard to study according to Arcanum unbounded  

Please correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure that means our favorite Mraize is just a pirate

Just because the story of Sixth of the Dusk happens later doesn't mean that the way the planet is invested isn't the same during the SLA.

Reveal hidden contents

the discovery that Aviar from the mainland can gain powers there is very new and that happens in Sixth of the Dusk, and that happens well after the events we know now. It could still be a standard Aviar i guess, but unless im mistaken there is not a perpendicularity near that system, which is why it is hard to study according to Arcanum unbounded  

Spoiler

There IS a perpendicularity there, according to Arcanum Unbounded. It's just dangerous. And really, just because the characters in the short story just found out about how the Aviar got their powers doesn't mean that the Ghostbloods couldn't have figured it out themselves. And as you said, it could just be a normal Aviar anyway.

Spoiler

The impression I got from the story was that Sixth of the Dusk wasn't the first one to discover the secret, he was the first to reveal it. In addition, Khriss states flat out there is a perpendicularity on the planet, which is why people are interested in the system. The problem is that it's most likely Patji's Eye, so the expeditions all got killed.

Hide contents

Spoiler

Arcanum Unbounded actually states that there is a Perpendicularity on First of the Sun itself (we see it in Sixth of the Dusk), just that it is so dangerous on the other side that no one has returned from it (it is written by a fallible author however).

Additionally, just because the people of Sixth of the Dusk have only just figured it out does not mean that no one else could have done so independently long before the events of that book.

5 minutes ago, PunSpren said:

Hide contents

Nope it does have one per AU. 

Edit Wow that was like a quadruple ninja

Edited by StormingTexan

2 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Arcanum Unbounded actually states that there is a Perpendicularity on First of the Sun itself (we see it in Sixth of the Dusk), just that it is so dangerous on the other side that no one has returned from it (it is written by a fallible author however).

Additionally, just because the people of Sixth of the Dusk have only just figured it out does not mean that no one else could have done so independently long before the events of that book.

Spoiler

Sixth of Dusk may take place long after this, but the Aviar and perpendicularity were likely around for a long time before Sixth of Dusk

@StormingTexan 

@BlackYeti

@dendrophobe

Spoiler

Thats right it just has a very dangerous perpendicularity, thank you for the correction. But still I feel like we are falling into a logic trap ourselves, as Shallan said ;)

Oh, Adolin, Shallan thought. He’d arrived at a theory he liked, and now wouldn’t let it go. It was a common mistake warned of in her scientific books.

But then agian that is what we sharders do lol 

@StormingTexan 

@BlackYeti

@dendrophobe

Hide contents

Thats right it just has a very dangerous perpendicularity, thank you for the correction. But still I feel like we are falling into a logic trap ourselves, as Shallan said ;)

I'm not saying it is an Aviar, just that it's possible for it to be. That said, given the rest of Mraize's collection, especially since he has stuff from Yolen, it would almost be weird if he didn't have anything from First of the Sun!

Just now, PunSpren said:

@StormingTexan 

@BlackYeti

@dendrophobe

Hide contents

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just considering the viability of the proposed theory. As far as I can tell it's plausible, but I'm not yet fully convinced that the base theory (that it's an Aviar) is correct, let alone this variation.

Thus, I'm not saying that it has to be this, I'm just considering all of the options.

4 minutes ago, dendrophobe said:

I'm not saying it is an Aviar, just that it's possible for it to be. That said, given the rest of Mraize's collection, especially since he has stuff from Yolen, it would almost be weird if he didn't have anything from First of the Sun!

True! Mraize the collector!

27 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Any theories on why the Shin sent congratulations?

I was thinking because they are now no longer blaspheming by walking on sacred stone. It's fine to walk on the stone in Urithiru, according to Shin beliefs.

21 minutes ago, PunSpren said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh I am Adolining the heck out of this :)

In regards to the Voidspren and the usage of stone in its appearance, similar to how we see other spren use something related to them when taking form, I'm more convinced than ever that Odium is invested in or has somehow corrupted stone on Roshar.

The strata in Urithiru may or may not be an exception, but I think the Shin idea of not walking on stone came from this.  (Whether or not the Shin leaders remember is another story.  They did end up as keepers of the Honorblades somehow.)

Mostly because of all this discussion, I expect Mraize’s chicken just to be some bird he has for a disguise, or as a pet, or something completely normal. Just because it would be funny to see all this Aviar theorization turn out to be over nothing. 

Edited by Nashan'Elin

2 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Mostly because of all this discussion, I expect Mraize’s chicken just to be some bird he has for a disguise, or as a pet, or something completely normal. Just because it would be funny to see all this Aviar theorization turn out to be over nothing. 

You're probably right. That's usually how it's been working out for us with these chapters.

EDIT: 1,000th POST! HUZZAH!

Edited by The Invested Beard

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok and the spren looks like a yellow and white Syl? I'm even more confused. 

I'm thinking that Comet spren that was following Eshonai around. The one we suspect of being the Willshaper's Nahel Spren.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

GUYS WE HAVE A DUSTBRINGERRRRRRR YESSSSSSSSS IM SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYY

Or another Honorblade or a Voidbinder, since the Dustbringers got confused for them...

2 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

If we assume glowing red eyes is more of a Cosmere wide 'corrupted' (for lack of a better term) Investiture phenomenon, Odium could very well be related to yellow/gold.

Would go with Miles' apparent Deathrattle about Men of Red and Gold.

2 hours ago, Agent34 said:

Not to mention her knowing about the Releaser name. Is that something anyone could know?

It's in Words of Radience. Which while possibly rare Jasnah had a spare copy and Gaz was able to track down in the Warcamps.

If she's a fake Taravangian will have coached her when he was intelligent. He and his other minions are the most likely source for her to have an Honorblade.

2 hours ago, frozndevl said:

I also had this thought. We have Syl's word that it's a Voidspren, or whatever, but everything else about Void(insert blank noun) has been not what we expected.

Actually she didn't seem that sure to begin with.

49 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Any theories on why the Shin sent congratulations?

Szeth is dead.

Bargains with the Nightwatcher were supposed to be permanent. Damning, even. So what was happening to him?

Dalinar glanced at his bracer clocks, strapped to his forearm. Five minutes late.

Anyone else catch that Dalinar's watch fabrial is specifically mentioned right after he wonders why the Nightwatcher curse is wearing off?

4 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

I don't think that it'll ever manifest powers on screen. I think it's most likely an easter egg like Mraize's collection, so that we Sharders see it and know what's happening. Whether it's ever confirmed or not, headcanon for me will be that it's an Aviar. Maybe Brandon will answer one way or the other, since I don't expect it to be a large plot point.