Hey everyone, the countdown timer will wind down in 7 minutes, but I'm not quite ready with the intro writeup yet. I'm working on it now, and once it is ready I will post again and officially close sign ups (So if there are any latecomers you have one last chance to get in). Once sign ups are closed, I'll post the intro and send out role PMs. Good luck everyone, and I hope you have fun!

• Alvron locked this topic

I'm working on sending out all the PMs, but ran out of time and I have to go pick up some family members from the airport. I will get all the role PMs sent out before I go to bed tonight. 

Feel free to post, and to use your role abilities (particularly you Unicorns, feel free to create a PM for the cycle), but I encourage you not to say anything that may give away whether or not you've received your Role PM yet. 

EDIT:

I was able to send out the rest of the PMs via mobile, so everybody should have received them by now. If you haven't, please PM me and let me know. 

Also, just a reminder about your Cosmetic Roles! Have fun with them, and I'll be watching for those ponies that do the best job at living up to them!

Edited by Herowannabe

Have a well-deserved upvote Hero. That was an amazing RP to start this off with. Unfortunately, I don't have much else to say yet, other than to advise unicorns to actually use their PMs. If they don't, I predict (CR ROLE WARNING!!!) great danger and much hostility coming upon them...

Great write-up, Hero!

For now, I've got some thoughts on the rules, starting with pony-types:

• Unicorns should make sure to use their PM's. Remember that you can create group PM's containing multiple ponies as well. This also means that, even if you don't feel like talking to anyone in PM's, you could still set up a small group and let them do whatever talking they wish to do.
  • Pegasi have the ability to vote in secret. This is quite powerful, especially in the late game where being able to surprise someone can be a big boon. However, it is very important to know who voted on whom in the earlier cycles for analysis, so I ask you to restrain from using your powers in the early game. 
  • Earth-ponies effectively have one less vote on them, so people should keep this in mind when voting (especially in the case of ties, you should check the pony-types of the intended targets).

The other major factor are the elements of harmony.

• The protection granted by loyalty is a powerful tool, but unlike similar abilities in other games, it comes with a drawback: If you're targeted for the kidnap, the one you sought to protect is kidnapped as well. Therefore, I personally recommend that whoever holds this power exercises good judgement; Do not use it if you expect to get kidnapped on any given cycle (I'm sure that the relevant people with high early-game mortality rates know who they are).
  • The element of Honesty is a fantastic power as well. If it isn't held by a unicorn, I recommend you scan one ASAP so you have someone that can make PM's that you can trust. that way you can create a trust-group of people who share a 'confirmed-good' PM for strategizing and analysis*. However, if someone approaches you, claiming to have scanned you and determined you are good, do exercise some caution, as I can see the elims trying to fake this. Finally, the element holder should remember to always speak the truth, or you lose your power for a cycle.
  • The element of generosity is an interesting factor. it can (and should) be passed around, and should be kept on the elims, if at all possible. However, this means that in the early game any cycle with no lynch will very likely hit a villager anyway (this is guaranteed on this cycle), so we should probably no-lynch cycles.
  • The element of Laughter is another interesting ability. I'd recommend caution when using this, but if you feel like the elims are trying to frame someone, or if you believe that some people have started tunneling on an innocent, it can be used to force discussion away from that person. Don't underestimate this ability, but exercise good judgement in using it, as you don't want to protect an elim at a critical moment.
  • The element of Kindness is pretty useful, as it essentially reveals a confirmed-good pony at the end of the lynch that can still interact with the thread (remember, it doesn't matter if you can't vote, as long as you provide analysis that gets others voting). There isn't much in the way of strategy that I can provide for this element.
  • The owner of the element of magic should avoid dying, if at all possible. You should definitely keep the fact that you hold this element secret to everyone that has not been absolutely confirmed good.

Now, a note on role-less role-claiming: Just because you don't hold a power doesn't mean you should be telling the thread. Knowing that someone doesn't hold an element is very useful info for the elims.

@Herowannabe, the goal of the elims is to kidnap all ponies holding an element of Harmony. What happens to an element if its owner is lynched? Also, what happens if all elements have been kidnapped, apart from the element of generosity, and the element of generosity is then passed on to a changeling?

Now, I'm off to build an excel sheet for note-keeping.

*Do note that, just because you've been scanned and have been confirmed good, you don't automatically get better judgement than anyone else. Keep listening to others in the thread, and don't be surprised if others are skeptical when you claim you've been confirmed good. In other words, don't try to become a Mayoral and exclusive group.

Edited by randuir

I'm tickled pink to be playing a mlp based game! I will try to be as active as possible, and remember to keep up my cosmetic role! :P 

@Herowannabe I loved the writeup!!

@randuir great thoughts! Thankyou Jeeves! ;)

For now I don't have much to say except I agree that the unicorn's should take advantage of their pms, and add us non unicorns lol. I mostly just really want pms haha. I almost signed up as a unicorn just for that, but I couldn't pass up wings!

Also, I was gonna try to urge everypony towards a no vote first cycle so I could be sneaky and use my cool pegasi ability, but I agree with Randuir that the element of generosity would most likely end up hurting a villager this cycle if we did that. Plus, now that this is my fourth game to play, I'm starting to realize that a first cycle lynch is usually a good way to go. Especially in a shorter game.

Also warning! If you have the element of loyalty please be careful about protecting the pony with the element of magic because it could really backfire on them. :blink: I think it would be safe unless you were under a lot of suspicion, or you thought the elims might attack you. I'd just thought I'd say something about that because we don't want to lose our magic pony, but especially not early in the game, because no magic pony means no more powers!

The element of kindness is awesome! You can't die! (Or be kidnapped whatever lol) wait....can the pony with that element still be kidnapped, but not lynched?

Laughter is cool because if you use it correctly, it could be a great protection for ponies you believe are confirmed village!

Well I said I didn't have much to say, but then I thought of some things lol.

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

5 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

The element of kindness is awesome! You can't die! (Or be kidnapped whatever lol) wait....can the pony with that element still be kidnapped, but not lynched?

This excerpt from the rules suggests the pony with he element of kindness can still be kidnapped, as it specifically mentions protection from the lynch.

Kindness - Your random acts of kindness have touched everypony in Ponyville, and in return nopony would ever do something to harm you. If you are lynched, you are not eliminated. Instead, you remain in the game, but you cannot cast votes and you lose your public ability. You may continue to post in the thread and reply to PMs that other unicorns start with you.

Also, given that the win-condition of the elims is kidnapping all owners of elements of harmony, I doubt kindness protects from the kidnap.

Changelings (Eliminators): Despicable shape-shifters that feed off of love and affection. Each cycle they can collectively kidnap (eliminate) one pony. They win once they have kidnapped everypony holding an Element of Harmony.

Edited by randuir
wrote 'lynch' instead of 'kidnap'

Ironpies was silent. He was always silent. There was no need for speech when one had power like him. His "eyes" swept over the scene, the blue pinpricks creating a phantom image of the physical world.

And was disgustingly lacking in metal.

Ironpies scowled. This society was so absurd; there was no reason to smelt metals except for the framework of large buildings and fancy headpieces. The only place where one could find those is urban centers, and even then, it was a unfortunate low amount. He felt blind. There wasn't much to do now, except wait.

6 hours ago, randuir said:

@Herowannabe, the goal of the elims is to kidnap all ponies holding an element of Harmony. What happens to an element if its owner is lynched? Also, what happens if all elements have been kidnapped, apart from the element of generosity, and the element of generosity is then passed on to a changeling?

If a pony holding an Eliminated- whether by kidnap or lynch- it counts towards the Changelings win condition.

As long as the Element of Generosity is still in play the Eliminators haven't won, no matter who holds it. 

4 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Rand has the right of it. The Pony with Kindness can survive a lynch, but will not survive a kidnapping. Note that if the Pony with Kindness is lynched and survives, they have not been eliminated. the Changelings will still need to kidnap them in order to meet their win condition. 

Hoofs up if you listened to the MLP theme song while reading that excellent writeup!201705271720QBP.gif.dde5e2008fa363586333650d4181160c.gif

Razor Shard stood there in the square, ignoring the ponies milling about and panicking, of all the things to do. He was thinking about what the Princess had said.

Changelings have been infiltrating our society, we don't know for how long. But having a weapon capable of threatening ponies would be invaluable for their army. Could they be the ones that took my father?

He looked around at the crowd, twitching his eyes to look from person to person without moving his head. Any one of them could be an infiltrator. But there was no way to tell for now. He backed out of the square and slowly headed back to his humble shop, nodding and smiling to ponies he passed, but seething in outrage inwardly that any one of them could be planning to kidnap him or someone else in the town. He didn't really have friends, but that doesn't mean he would be willing to let an innocent pony suffer.

Arriving at his destination, Razor Shard used his teeth to pick up a pair of pliers and place a glowing hot chunk of metal onto the anvil. It was dripping slightly, as he'd left it for a little too long to hear the Princess' announcement, but he ignored the small splatters of overheated metal as he began to pound on the ingot with a hammer inserted into a specialized harness on his right hoof.

A swing that may have been too enthusiastic flattened a disk in the center of the ingot down about half an inch. Sighing, Razor Shard prepared to place the ingot back into the fire and try and buff the mistake out. Blacksmithing was no place for misplaced aggression. But he couldn't restrain a thin smile at the thought of another pony, the ones who kidnapped his father, underneath the heavy blow.

If the changelings had been a part of it, or even if it was merely a possibility, there was still only one solution. He'd just have to hunt them all down and find out.201705271720QBP(1).gif.cda37e09df4b9ed6ceb4793ae9e05524.gif

Rules Clarification!: If a changeling kidnaps a pony, do they know if they've kidnapped an element of Harmony or not? Or do they just have to keep on kidnapping ponies until you say the game ends. Just curious.

Edited by Bridge Boy

I watched the first two episodes of MLP just to get some idea of how they talk/act/etc. I don't think I'm going to become a fan and continue watching the show, but I can understand the appeal, and I hope I can do the RP justice. Here's my first attempt.

Schitzo gasped along with most of the crowd as the proclamation went out about Changlings among them, of all things. And the Elements of Harmony, out among the people? He sure didn't see any of the famous necklaces or Twilight Sparkles' magic tiara on anypony around him, but surely if they were out there, it was everypony's duty to protect them and keep them away from the Changlings until they could be used to defeat Chrysalis. What a time to have a bad case of donkeypox! In fact, as he looked around, he could see otherponies with sniffles and coughs, sometimes even some telltale spots that must be signs of disease. This was horrible! He rushed away from the square to find a doctorpony who could perhaps offer a cure.

As for tactics and how to proceed, @randuir's advice for each pony type and the holders of the Elements seems fairly sound, and considering he's not advocating revealing...much of anything to the thread or even via PM, I don't get a Changling vibe from that analysis post, which is good. However, I'm not picking up on much specific from anyone else yet, which is typical for a first day. Hemalurgic Headshot, you've only posted RP so far, though, and haven't weighed in on the tactics that others have suggested, or offered any of your own. What do you propose we do to protect the Elements, and to find the Changlings?

But your logic for picking out Hemalurgic Headshot doesn't make any sense!

I posted shortly after him and right before you, and also had no analysis or discussion! So why pick him instead of me? Was it a random pick or... something more nefarious201705271720QBP(2).gif.6ed4ba402b5efde6ec3af036016b7bde.gif

Razor Shard looked up as a pony galloped by, yelling about something called donkeypox and accusing some poor pony with no eyes of having it. The pony in question looked perfectly fine to Razor Shard, albeit a little annoyed and confused, but that was perfectly allowable given the circumstances. Was the strange pony trying to incite trouble? Maybe distract ponies from the more pressing concerns of the changelings? Razor Shard decided to wander over and have a little... talk... with him. Maybe get some things cleared up. He casually slipped a small spike into his hoof harness just in case things got dangerous before he began trotting off after the panicking pony. And hay, a little more information couldn't hurt. Much.

"And what, may I ask, hmm, do you actually, hmm, do around here?"

Moneybags turned towards the elderly pony and shot her a winning smile.

"Why, my dearie, I'm a real estate agent."

"Hmm?"

"A real estate agent"

"Didn't quite, hmm, catch that."

"A land buyer"

"Whaat?"

"I BUY FARMS AND THEN SELL THEM"

"Oh." There was a short pause. "I don't want to sell my farm."

She had a farm? Moneybags grinned, which was difficult as he was already smiling. "But you could win an amazing price for it," he said, "Enough to buy 40 apples or more."

"What?"

"I give up. YOU WIN! YOU CAN KEEP YOUR FARM!"

"Oh." She paused for a few seconds. "I don't have a farm."

"Excuse me for a moment," said Moneybags, still grinning madly. He trotted over to the nearest tree and thumped his head against it a few times. Much better.

---

14 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

As for tactics and how to proceed, @randuir's advice for each pony type and the holders of the Elements seems fairly sound, and considering he's not advocating revealing...much of anything to the thread or even via PM, I don't get a Changling vibe from that analysis post, which is good.

I played a game about rithmatics with Elenion recently in which he was an elim. He advocated a good strategy to keep the chalklings out, but turned out to be an eliminator. My guess is that Randuir figured out some strategy before the game started. It's common enough advice that someone would figure it out eventually, so if he was an eliminator, he'd post it anyways to get some trust.

Come to think of it though, Jon is advocating Randuir's innocence. If Jon is an elim, Randuir probably is too.

Or maybe he just doesn't see helpfulness as being an evil trait? Saying that he gave good advice that didn't make him feel like an eliminator means that he himself is an eliminator?201705271720QBP(3).gif.23c3fe03e4ae185f724af7358c18c498.gif

Why is everyone so quick to accuse people this game? I get that we tend to want a Day 1 lynch, and there's not a lot of evidence, but seriously, it's really kinda flimsy. And it's a MR game, not a QF, so we have more time before the rollover.

While trying to track down the crazypony, Razor Shard noticed a pony with a grin far too wide slamming his head against a tree, while Elder Berry stood behind him confused. He hoped the possibly insane pony wasn't trying to scam the poor dear. Her mare had died gone into the great pink beyond a few years back, and she hadn't quite recovered from the nasty sickness that had come about shortly afterwards. She wasn't really his friend, but that didn't mean he was willing to simply allow her to be swindled if he could help it.

He mentally catalogued the new pony's cutie mark and put him down under "investigate later." Whether he was a con man, a lawyer, a changeling, a real-estater, or whatever, he wasn't needed in the town. And a new pony coming into town at the same time the elements of Harmony were announced to be hidden inside it? A little too suspicious for Razor Shard's tastes. But he would deal with that in time. First he had to have a discussion with a certain panicking pony.

31 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

I played a game about rithmatics with Elenion recently in which he was an elim. He advocated a good strategy to keep the chalklings out, but turned out to be an eliminator. My guess is that Randuir figured out some strategy before the game started. It's common enough advice that someone would figure it out eventually, so if he was an eliminator, he'd post it anyways to get some trust.

Come to think of it though, Jon is advocating Randuir's innocence. If Jon is an elim, Randuir probably is too.

A sound strategy is a sound strategy. No matter what you think, nothing Rand has said points to any kind of suspicious behaviour. You're basing things off of previous games... seems to me like you want to lynch someone, Paranoid King

Edited by Jedal
Editing and switching color

9 minutes ago, Bridge Boy said:

Both of those last votes are actually in Brown, not Red. Do they still count as votes, or are they closer to showing suspicion and it's just a new thing I missed.

Fixed :) thanks!

3 minutes ago, Jedal said:

A sound strategy is a sound strategy. No matter what you think, nothing Rand has said points to any kind of suspicious behaviour. You're basing things off of previous games... seems to me like you want to lynch someone, Paranoid King.

To be fair, we do want to lynch someone otherwise a village pony is guaranteed to be eliminated this cycle due to the element of generosity. I do think everyone's being pretty quick to cast votes, but I always think that.

I agree that unicorns should be creating PM's every cycle and make a special effort to include earth ponies and pegasi. Whoever holds the element of honesty should target unicorns if they feel it will help them establish a trustworthy link with whom they can share information. But IMO knowing which pegasi are elims would be preferable in terms of information that would benefit the village. I would avoid targeting earth ponies without a very good reason to do so, since the use of their ability is completely public.

I also have a quick question. If the pony holding the element of honesty targets a pony holding another element, will they be told the target's element?

I can see where Paranoid King is coming from with his weariness, but I find his decision to vote on Jondesu somewhat odd, for the following reasons:

• From his justification it seems like he is voting on Jon by proxy. "I think Randuir might be suspicious, so if he is evil, so is Jon. Therefore I'm voting on Jon." This doesn't make too much sense to me (though I might be misinterpreting here, @Paranoid King?).
    • Also, it is not quite as reasonable a reasoning as one might think. In QF22 I used this to motivate two attacks on players (one by power, one by lynch) in both cases the main suspect was guilty, but the 'proxy' (the one I went after) was innocent.
  • Remaining wary of people posting tactics is not a bad idea (see Elenion in MR21). However, posting tactics and other ideas is merely a Neutral activity, it doesn't indicate someone is an elim either, so using it is part of a justification for a lynch in C1 is strange.

I'll probably place a vote somewhat later in the cycle, as I want to see a couple more posts from everyone before I decide to push for anyone's lynch.

Vote tally:

Hemalurgic Headshot(1): Jondesu

Jondesu(1): Paranoid King

Paranoid King(1): Jedal

Edited by randuir

1 minute ago, randuir said:

Vote tally:

Hemalurgic Headshot(1): Jondesu

Jondesu(1): Paranoid King

Paranoid King(1): Jedal

Everypony that has been voted on is an Earth Pony. This gets us absolutely nowhere.

Jon, you accused me of RP and not contributing to discussion. Truthfully, I did not spend very much time looking over the rules and all of the strategizing that happened in the pre-game thread, so I did not have much to contribute. I agree with the statements that have been made about the Elements of Harmony and their uses, and greatly encourage Unicorns to set up PMs.

31 minutes ago, randuir said:

I can see where Paranoid King is coming from with his weariness, but I find his decision to vote on Jondesu somewhat odd, for the following reasons:

• From his justification it seems like he is voting on Jon by proxy. "I think Randuir might be suspicious, so if he is evil, so is Jon. Therefore I'm voting on Jon." This doesn't make too much sense to me (though I might be misinterpreting here, @Paranoid King?).

It's more of a "If I vote on someone random, say Ornstein, and he turns out to be evil,  I don't get any more info. If I vote on Jon, and he's evil, I have another lead to follow." I'm not suspicious of you yet. But if Jon turns out to be evil, his support of you gives me reason to think you're evil. Voting on him just gives me more information than voting on anyone else.

(This doesn't work the other way around. If an elim supports someone, the person they support might be evil too. If someone agrees with an elim, they probably just agree with the elim's ideas. So I can't lynch you to convict Jon.)

Hemalurgic Headshot, thanks for responding.  That was essentially a poke vote, but I wanted to make sure it actually generated some discussion (I've been trying to work on that since my first game, and I think I'm making progress).

@Bridge Boy, the reason I picked HH over you is because you're new.  I generally won't vote to lynch a new player until at least 2-3 cycles in unless there's hard proof they're an Eliminator. It's that simple.  Your reasoning in return is wild speculation and absolutely nonsense, btw, so I don't even feel like responding to the rest of it.  I think it was clear why I thought Randuir's post didn't mark him as an Elim (I never said it cleared him either, it's a neutral post).

@Paranoid King, that reasoning to vote on me is…bizarre to me, honestly.  I never declared Randuir's innocence, I merely pointed out (accurately) that his strategies were sound, and nothing in them pointed to him being an Elim.  Absence of evidence and all that.  I'm tempted to throw a vote back on you in return, but since your one vote on me is useless anyways as I'm an Earth pony (albeit one with a bad case of donkeypox, and I think I'm coming down with a cold as well), I'll hold off and see what you do and how others respond. Please, though, if you suspect Rand, vote on him, not me.  As it is, you're just raising my suspicions of you.