Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

I have some new photos from a trip to Antelope Island yesterday! Mostly birbs but there is some other wildlife too. :D

American Pipit (1 photo):

Spoiler

IMG_4625_Am_Pipit_Crop.thumb.jpg.a016192e6101cbcdd43b4aa50bdaf7d7.jpg

This is probably the best photo I'm ever going to get of a pipit because they usually stay too far away to be anything but a smudge in the distance in pictures. XD This guy was unusually cooperative, venturing within about 20 feet of me and my camera.

White-crowned Sparrow (2 photos):

Spoiler

IMG_4767_White-crown_Crop.thumb.jpg.d4d86f40cd0facbc26fa4977d84856d4.jpg

This is a juvenile bird; adults have black and white stripes that remind me of a badger on top of their head. (That's where the name comes from.)

IMG_4771_White-crown_Crop.thumb.jpg.5f266e00f35e6a207f0a239de62e8599.jpg

Raven (1 photo):

Spoiler

IMG_4677_Raven_Crop.thumb.jpg.9cf86c6a8960eac60bee62c3a8dff2e1.jpg

Bison (2 photos):

Spoiler

A herd of these guys were hanging out quite close to a road. Lots of other people had stopped to take pictures and gawk.

59ed1e8d86f2a_IMG_4849_Bison_Darken_Crop.thumb.jpg.cc96d4fd917d9ce4ad61d469d18242e3.jpg

I made sure to keep a healthy distance between me and the bison. They were big enough that one could have probably tipped over my leetle car by itself if it really wanted.

59ed1e973b2aa_IMG_4857_Bison_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.d45faea66ef8aff8986e99847612302a.jpg

Pronghorn antelope (2 photos):

Spoiler

What's really funny is that this is the first time I've actually seen the antelope of Antelope Island. XD

IMG_4838_Pronghorns_Crop.thumb.jpg.c07f0ab32af396c11aeec92f27e0ff09.jpg

IMG_4843_Pronghorns_Crop.thumb.jpg.39a9441e4e9ed0c40ed7bddf15471b9c.jpg

I saw a flock of wild turkeys the other day! But my gym class scared them off before I could get a picture :( 

OK, this is a genuinely weird story. So I have been getting the National Geographic for... 4, 5 years now? And I have no idea where it comes from.
I sure don't pay for it. Neither pair of grandparents paid for it. My parents have no idea where it comes from. 

I've always been sort of curious how I've ended up with this wonderful magazine (basically the only one I read), if it was a mistake. But at the same time, who am I to complain? I learn all sorts of cool things from it, and I don't have to pay for it. And, apparently, nobody pays for it. Although I do wonder if it'll ever just stop coming. That would make me sad. 
And I wouldn't even get the chance to start up a real subscription, because I've never had to renew it! It just... keeps coming each month. And may things stay that way.

4 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

@Steeldancer is it addressed to you? Cause that's weird. Really cool, but weird

Its addressed to my mom, but shes not the one who reads it. And if it were sent to my home, it would be sent to my mom. And my mom remembers stuff, and she never ordered it. I thought for a while it was my grandparents who used to send me other science magazines and I had assumed they sent me Nat Geo. But then I asked them about it, and they said they hadn't. And by now, it should have needed to be renewed! Many times over.

Yes, very cool. Weird, and just a pleasant mistake. 

edit: I actually just checked the website, and the subscription really is for only 12 issues a year. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Steeldancer

1 hour ago, Shqueeves said:

I live really close to antelope island and I've never seen the antelope. You are one lucky duck. 

I think they tend to stay more on the southern side of the island, away from the visitor center and the causeway. On my previous visits, I stayed mostly on the northern end and saw no antelope. This time I drove down to the south end where the "historic ranch" is and saw a good number of them. (I also saw the bison closer than I ever had before.)

Just now, Jedal said:

Anyone have advice on how to skim history books? Homework eats up my time and I know I'm being too thorough.

Depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to answer questions your teacher gives you than you can glance at the text looking for the unique words.

@Jedal I read Tansel Ali's "Yellow Elephant" which explains how to improve one's memory, speed and recollection etc.

Here's the bit on speedreading.

https://tanselali.com/tansel-ali-memory-training-blog/speed-reading-how-to-read-faster-with-better-comprehension

Not the entire thing, just an overview, but it'll help.

29 minutes ago, Darkness_ said:

@Jedal I read Tansel Ali's "Yellow Elephant" which explains how to improve one's memory, speed and recollection etc.

Here's the bit on speedreading.

https://tanselali.com/tansel-ali-memory-training-blog/speed-reading-how-to-read-faster-with-better-comprehension

Not the entire thing, just an overview, but it'll help.

That was an interesting article. I've always equated words with images, so it was neat to see somebody else with the same idea. I get yelled at all the time at home for scrolling through the TV guide or Netflix too quickly, but can't ever figure out how anyone else in the room didn't just see everything on the screen when I did. Then, when someone else has control, I get the same feeling as being stuck behind someone walking too slowly with no way around. It's interesting to think about how the mind processes these things.

I get the feeling that reading is something some people must have to "turn on?" I can't view anything written without immediately just knowing what I saw. Like looking at a picture. 

Also, I prefer to watch everything with the subtitles on. I find myself discovering that dialog in even my most watched movies and shows ends up being slightly different or more revealing than the voice alone. 

Edited by AngelEy3

Just now, AngelEy3 said:

That was an interesting article. I've always equated words with images, so it was neat to see somebody else with the same idea. I get yelled at all the time at home for scrolling through the TV guide or Netflix too quickly, but can't ever figure out how anyone else in the room didn't just see everything on the screen when I did. It's interesting to think about how the mind processes these things.

I get the feeling that reading is something some people must have to "turn on?" I can't view anything written without immediately just knowing what I saw. Like looking at a picture. 

Also, I prefer to watch everything with the subtitles on. I find myself discovering that dialog in even my most watched movies and shows ends up being slightly different or more revealing than the voice alone. 

Almost everyone associates words with images, the process is just harder for some.
Alot of people have had that same idea :P Tansel just made the Yellow Elephant model to make the association easier.

I don't understand what you mean by your second statement. You just chunk better than most I guess, you won't have too much difficulty speedreading then.

Of course, lots of things get lost in translation, but subtitles can be annoying xD

2 minutes ago, Darkness_ said:

I don't understand what you mean by your second statement. You just chunk better than most I guess, you won't have too much difficulty speedreading then.

Kind of like basic math I guess? Like some people have to work it out while others can just view a problem and know the solution straight away.