2016-12-06 [Arcanum Unbounded] Herald Washington Library Center - Chicago, IL

Volratho

13 minutes ago, Argent said:

Can you give me an example where an Ars Arcanum has been wrong?

Incomplete might be a better word, especially for the early Mistborn Ars.

You could ask about perpendicularities. A question about the possibility of making one, or about whether a Highstorm is at least partially one, would both be good short questions. Yata and I would both appreciate more info on those.

3 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

You could ask about perpendicularities. A question about the possibility of making one, or about whether a Highstorm is at least partially one, would both be good short questions. Yata and I would both appreciate more info on those.

I do like the "mobile perpendicularity" theory @Yata posted recently. I've had a similar theory for a long time, but I think his version fits a little better in the Cosmere (my theory was that the eye of the highstorm is a moving window into the Cognitive Realm - which is kind of what a perpendicularity is...).

15 minutes ago, Argent said:

I do like the "mobile perpendicularity" theory @Yata posted recently. I've had a similar theory for a long time, but I think his version fits a little better in the Cosmere (my theory was that the eye of the highstorm is a moving window into the Cognitive Realm - which is kind of what a perpendicularity is...).

A simple question on what the conditions are for one forming would do nicely. Maybe something like 'what are the conditions for a perpendicularity forming, and how close are Highstorms to qualifying?'

Okay, let's say I am done.

Argent's Arcanum Unbounded Tour Questions

The questions are organized in five categories, each category (except for the last two) loosely ordered by how badly I want a question answered. I might change the phrasing and the order a little bit prior to the signing, but I doubt I'll make major changes - unless a really interesting question pops up in the next 16 hours. I will also review the previous pages of this thread, I know a couple of people wanted to squeeze some extra questions in, so I'll look out for those.

I would love to ask "Was the damage on Threnody intended or accidental".

i have a pet theory that Ambition fled his world too quickly, and this ripped open permanent holes and ruined other areas in the spheres of existence. We've never seen what happens when a shard forcibly removes itself from an invested world (unless we have here). The damage done doesn't seem to resemble what happened over on Sel so I'm think an investiture rip is the likeliest option. 

Maybe I arrive too late (and probably I had not right to ask because You already put something interesting to me) but I am interesting in this question:

"A Victim of Hemalurgy loses a good amount of her Soul/Investiture. When she dies, her time in the Cognitive would be really short (maybe almost nothing). May a simil death pass unseen to a Shard ?"

Maybe the wording isn't the best....If you want to ask it, feel free to re-word it

EDIT: I read the list @Argent posted and I think we have already an answer to the " * Are the Resonances (a.k.a. perks) granted by the mixing of powers shared between all people who share the same pairs of powers? If not, how similar are those Resonances? "

Edited by Yata

3 hours ago, Yata said:

"A Victim of Hemalurgy loses a good amount of her Soul/Investiture. When she dies, her time in the Cognitive would be really short (maybe almost nothing). May a simil death pass unseen to a Shard ?"

I don't think Hemalurgy victims lose that much investiture. It's certainly a significant amount, enough to damage or kill them, but I think the reason for this damage is more how important that piece of the soul is (or, rather, how important the soul's completeness is), not that a certain quantity of it is missing.

3 hours ago, Yata said:

EDIT: I read the list @Argent posted and I think we have already an answer to the " * Are the Resonances (a.k.a. perks) granted by the mixing of powers shared between all people who share the same pairs of powers? If not, how similar are those Resonances? "

Maybe we do. We know this a little better in the context of the Radiant Orders (e.g. Windrunners have strength of squires - whatever that means...), but I am curious about how much variation there is within each Resonance (or set of Resonances). The Lightweavers' mnemonic abilities, for example, sound like something that could be varied.

6 hours ago, Argent said:

Can you give me an example where an Ars Arcanum has been wrong?

Atium and Malatium as Temporal metals are the big one. IIRC, there are also some errors on the WoK table, with divine attributes, but I don't remember the specifics. (And those might have originated out-of-universe, as well.)

40 minutes ago, Argent said:

I don't think Hemalurgy victims lose that much investiture. It's certainly a significant amount, enough to damage or kill them, but I think the reason for this damage is more how important that piece of the soul is (or, rather, how important the soul's completeness is), not that a certain quantity of it is missing.

Many time the survivor to Hemalurgy are comparate to Nalthis's Drabs...so I think there is noticeble difference about in the Investiture. But you may be right.

When I read SoS, I speculated about  the reason Harmony (and Kandras) didn't know that relevant people were killed and replaced, that Bleeder used of Hemalurgy to kill the victims to avoid them to meet Harmony. But I may be wrong of course

Edited by Yata

7 minutes ago, Argent said:

Anyone notice that the photo source at the bottom of the event page is "Nazrilof"? a.k.a. Nazh?

Yeah, that photo has always been sourced to Nazrilof, you can see it on Brandon's site as well. That's actually where we learned the correct spelling.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Indefinite said:

Yeah, that photo has always been sourced to Nazrilof, you can see it on Brandon's site as well. That's actually where we learned the correct spelling.

Huh. I always thought that came from a signing. Cheeky.

12 hours ago, Argent said:

Okay, let's say I am done.

Argent's Arcanum Unbounded Tour Questions

The questions are organized in five categories, each category (except for the last two) loosely ordered by how badly I want a question answered. I might change the phrasing and the order a little bit prior to the signing, but I doubt I'll make major changes - unless a really interesting question pops up in the next 16 hours. I will also review the previous pages of this thread, I know a couple of people wanted to squeeze some extra questions in, so I'll look out for those.

We actually have WoB about the colors of shards. We recently got confirmation (cant find source again, im sure it'll be up on theoryland soon) that red is not an Odium specific color, and preservation and ruin's colors are extentions of how they viewed their polarized relationship over time.

Source for the preservation/ruin WoB

7 minutes ago, Blightsong said:

We actually have WoB about the colors of shards. We recently got confirmation (cant find source again, im sure it'll be up on theoryland soon) that red is not an Odium specific color, and preservation and ruin's colors are extentions of how they viewed their polarized relationship over time.

Source for the preservation/ruin WoB

Yeah, that's fine... I was hoping to use this question to set up my death rattle question, but the cursed @Zmann966 reminded me that a far more rational explanation has the "wall of black and white and red" being simply the Parshendi - which we know to be colored with these three colors. 

I'll most likely just ask something else instead.

6 hours ago, Yata said:

Many time the survivor to Hemalurgy are comparate to Nalthis's Drabs...so I think there is noticeble difference about in the Investiture. But you may be right.

When I read SoS, I speculated about  the reason Harmony (and Kandras) didn't know that relevant people were killed and replaced, that Bleeder used of Hemalurgy to kill the victims to avoid them to meet Harmony. But I may be wrong of course

I have not had a lot of time to get my questions straight in my head, so I will be happy to ask about this idea.

3 hours ago, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

Oh one last late to the party question, if anyone needs another question to ask - Did Silverlight's creation predate Khriss' worldhopping?

...Logic would dictate "yes" but I'm assuming this is just one of those questions that it would be good to nail down for timeline purposes.  

44 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

...Logic would dictate "yes" but I'm assuming this is just one of those questions that it would be good to nail down for timeline purposes.  

I don't think we know this whatsoever. Khriss' story is set very early in the Cosmere so it wouldn't be earth-shattering if she had worldhopped before Silverlight came to be.

Right, we know she's the most cosmere aware according to Brandon, I'm trying to figure out if she was instrumental in gathering/educating other worldhoppers herself, such as efforts that might lead to the creation of Silverlight, or if there were established communities of worldhoppers even before she began doing it, and she simply surpassed them in her travels/learning.

1 hour ago, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

Right, we know she's the most cosmere aware according to Brandon, I'm trying to figure out if she was instrumental in gathering/educating other worldhoppers herself, such as efforts that might lead to the creation of Silverlight, or if there were established communities of worldhoppers even before she began doing it, and she simply surpassed them in her travels/learning.

She mentions a colleague who's an expert in pre-Shattering biography and history in the Scadrian essay (so possibly a native Yolenese/ITE), while she describes herself as an Arcanist. Given how Yolen is inaccessible, I'm guessing this coworker may be from there or has spoken to a native to acquire said information

Thanks for the highlights, Argent. I always look forward to the Chicago signing reports.

I'm sad you ran out of questions. I saw your list yesterday and thought it looked a little thin, but I know you have experience with how much to expect out of these things so I decided not to PM you a backup list. Too bad.