What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Currently I am reading A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Excellent book and an all around excellent author.  highly recommend both the follow ups to Earthsea, as well as her Hainish cycle books if you are into sci-fi

Edited by Dunkum

I read Catherine Called Birdy, thinking I was rereading it.

If I had a nickel for every book I read set in Medieval England about a girl associated with birds that deals with arranged marriages, I'd have two nickels.  Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

It was an okay book.  However, if the above description rings a bell for anyone, please tell me, because I've forgotten the title of the other book and it's driving me crazy.  If I remember correctly, that book includes doves and the main character was widowed at least twice.

I read Dresden number four yesterday.  I liked it, though it did sort of reinforce my dislike of a particular trope, this one:

Spoiler

It did get somewhat subverted, I will grant, but the 'person the MC thought was dead isn't, comes back into MC's life with a reason why they aren't at fault for a previous betrayal, but then proves themselves to still be evil and tricks MC' is one of my least favorite tropes.  It's just really see-through and I feel like it wastes my time as a reader.

I also read Red Rising.  Interesting concept, but upon doing a little more research into the series, no beans on continuing it.  Too grimdark for this particular individual.

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Has anyone read The Ruin of Kings and subsequent books in the series? Looking to start something new and sounds interesting.  

I've only read the first one.  It was interesting though, and the way the story was structured was fun.  

Plugging away steadily at The Shadow Rising, with Dresden #5 and Howl's Moving Castle coming up.  I've never actually seen the film, though I do know a little of the plot.  So I'm interested to see what I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to Proven Guilty in the Dresden Files.  Seven down, ten or eleven to go.  I do believe this is going to knock out Wheel of Time as the longest series I've read that isn't a middle grade series.  (Wording chosen to remove Warrior Cats and Wings of Fire from the running)

I also read Ashfall Prophecy, which was interesting, but I don't remember much about the first book.  And I finished The Shadow Rising.  

I'm currently reading In the Shadow of Lightning by Brian McClellan, and next up are The Fires of Heaven and Dresden eight.

2 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm up to Proven Guilty in the Dresden Files.  Seven down, ten or eleven to go.  I do believe this is going to knock out Wheel of Time as the longest series I've read that isn't a middle grade series.  (Wording chosen to remove Warrior Cats and Wings of Fire from the running)

wheel of time may still win by page count

On 9.9.2022 at 2:18 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

On 9.9.2022 at 4:34 AM, Dunkum said:

wheel of time may still win by page count

In word counts, Wheel of Time is actually still roughly double the length of Dresden Files - 4.4 million versus 2.3 million. Stormlight will presumably reach 2.3 million as well with book 5. Some book lengths differ widely, and even page count often isn't reliable because of formating (like Stormlight books having 400 words per page, 250-300 being normal).

I actually believe it's hard to find a series longer than Wheel of Time (although Malazan easily surpasses it if you count all spin-offs, sequels, etc.). Stormlight might come close when it ends, but only if he keeps up the length of those ^_^

Edited by Elegy

I finished In The Shadow Of Lightning, and Proven Guilty, the next Dresden book.  In The Shadow Of Lightning kind of dragged for a while, but then it picked up, so I think I'm going to read the next book whenever it comes out.

Next up, Vespertine, Strangelets, Fortress Draconis, and Tales From the Perilous Realm.

• 2 weeks later...