What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Ah, Shakespeare, if you can pick apart the metaphors it's actually pretty good reading and you realize just how dirty minded most of his stuff is.  I'd recommend getting a version that does that for you.  I did that for Romeo and Juliet and enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream, myself.

Indeed. The Tempest is another excellent one.

wow you and I have similar tastes, I liked The Tempest also.

So a new author that I'm really enjoying so far is Peter Orullian. He is putting some short stories that tell about the world up on tor.com for free to read. I think they are very well written and are well worth your time to read.  Please check him out and share what you find with others. His full length novel The Vault of Heaven comes out April 12th. I'm so excited for the full novel.

The first short story: http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/11/sacrifice-of-the-first-sheason

Second one: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/02/the-great-defense-of-layosah

He did some interviews with Brandon about TWoK when it was released. 

• 3 weeks later...

My reading is two fold right now, and in a decidedly non-comedic direction. I'm reading the War of Souls by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis and, finally, the Lord of the Rings. I'm going a chapter a day on each of them.

I'm finding that LotR is the harder one to read. It's the pacing. It's not that it's off, it's just in SLOOOW MOOOOOTIOOON. But it's interesting so far. I like how subtly he creates an atmosphere in a scene, using established things to make you tense. Like how when the Black Rider is nearby Frodo scrambles for the Ring even though Gandalf TOLD HIM NOT TO! Very nice.

I'm thinking of putting Eragon into the mix, just for some variety and I've been meaning to reread that.

I also picked up a copy of Analog at the library and I've read a couple of stories. Good stuff I must say.

Lord of the Rings is breathtaking. Yeah, the pacing is slower than in other books, but Tolkien's ability to set a seen and paint vivid pictures of the world is masterful. The Weis-Hickman books are a fun read, but I was never quite sold on their narrative.

As for Eragon, read it if you want, but I recommend checking it out from your local library rather than buying it. I know I wish I had.

I've already got all three, and I do intend to buy the last one whenever the heck he ends up releasing it. It was the first set of books to really introduce me to the fantasy genre.

You guys have mentioned Servant of a Dark God. Would you recommend it? My mom's got it from the library and I'm considering it. It really does look good.

What about Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld? They talked about it on WE and it sounds AWESOME.

My reading is two fold right now, and in a decidedly non-comedic direction. I'm reading the War of Souls by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis and, finally, the Lord of the Rings. I'm going a chapter a day on each of them.

I'm finding that LotR is the harder one to read. It's the pacing. It's not that it's off, it's just in SLOOOW MOOOOOTIOOON. But it's interesting so far. I like how subtly he creates an atmosphere in a scene, using established things to make you tense. Like how when the Black Rider is nearby Frodo scrambles for the Ring even though Gandalf TOLD HIM NOT TO! Very nice.

I'm thinking of putting Eragon into the mix, just for some variety and I've been meaning to reread that.

I also picked up a copy of Analog at the library and I've read a couple of stories. Good stuff I must say.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, Silus! I find Lord of the Rings... immensely tedious. I liked Fellowship of the Ring, actually, but right after Helm's Deep, I put the books down. I haven't been terribly motivated to pick them up. Maybe I'll like them better now that I've matured as a writer. Maybe not.

Tell me what you think of Eragon. I liked it when I was in high school, at least, though the third book was so disappointing that I hide all three books from sight. I always imagine that if I reread Eragon, I would find it atrocious.

I am currently reading the Wise Man's Fear.

I finished reading The Unremembered by Peter Orullian. I loved it as a book. There are books in the fantasy genre that are so great they make you want to stand up at the end and offer the author a round of applause. I for one can say I had to do such a thing at 2 am, to the surprise of my wife. This book has everything a reader can want in a book from extreme high emotion filled chapters to amazing action sequences. Decisions for the characters actions hold real consequences, rarely have I seen it that well done.

Please don't let the back blurb put you off. It does the book no justice. Read what Peter has had to write concerning his own blurb on Peter's Blog I was fortunate to get to read the entire book as an advanced reader copy. I couldn't put it down, I had to read the book as fast as I could. I would highly recommend this book to everyone that enjoys an amazing read. I'll post a much more in depth review once it's actually out to discuss more of the book.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, Silus! I find Lord of the Rings... immensely tedious. I liked Fellowship of the Ring, actually, but right after Helm's Deep, I put the books down. I haven't been terribly motivated to pick them up. Maybe I'll like them better now that I've matured as a writer. Maybe not.

Tell me what you think of Eragon. I liked it when I was in high school, at least, though the third book was so disappointing that I hide all three books from sight. I always imagine that if I reread Eragon, I would find it atrocious.

I am currently reading the Wise Man's Fear.

What? We've agreed on stuff before!

I'm currently on chapter seven of LotR, and it's kinda weird, this Tom Bombadil guy seems totally out of left field, I really have no idea what to make of him. I think he's a cliche being subverted until I remember that this book wrote most of the cliches and I just keep going in circles in my head.

I started reading Servant of a Dark God and pretty awesome so far. It keeps teasing me with little tidbits of worldbuilding and some interesting character interactions that have really grabbed my attention. I don't like that he ends EVERY CHAPTER on a cliffhanger of some kind.

I'm a little scared to reread Eragon actually. I read the prologue a week or two ago and noticed a bunch of holes, and I don't want to ruin it for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have set a crazy goal. I am going to read every book I own and then some before my birthday on the nineteenth of June.

To accomplish this, I have set myself a daily page goal. I need to read 300 pages every day. It's actually been going pretty well.

I'm still reading the books I was before, but in conjunction with other things because trying to read 300 pages of LotR in a day is complete lunacy.

So far I have finished these books:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The Seventh Tower: The Fall

The Seventh Tower: Castle

The Seventh Tower: Aenir

The Seventh Tower: Above the Veil

These are short books with short pages, which make great fodder for meeting that page goal. I'm a little scared of what's going to happen when these start to go away, though. I'll put up my full list of books later.

I love the Seventh Tower. It's by Garth Nix, who's got some other stuff that I really like. It's the worldbuilding that reels me in. It's definitely written to a younger audience, think the younger end of middle grade, but I still like it. The plot and characters are pretty standard, but become interesting when it's affected by the worldbuilding.

The worldbuilding is based around different applications of light and shadow. Interplay between light magic cast from sunstones and living shadows. It's nothing terribly deep, leaving a lot of how it's applied to the imagination, but that's the way I like it for the most part. The setting is the Dark World, where a massive Veil lays over the sky, blocking out the sun, leaving the world in ice and snow. But there's the Castle, an enormous, seven towered building where the Chosen live, users of light magic who live not really knowing or caring what is outside of their self sufficient society. Then the main character, a Chosen boy named Tal, after running into a bunch of problems, tries to scale one of the towers and falls off. He thus discovers not only the people that live out on the Ice, but facts that shake his belief in some of the key facts that his worldview is based on.

I'm currently in the middle of The Name of the Wind. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I'm curious, is there anyone in the University that Kvothe doesn't manage to make an enemy of? 'Cause I mean sheesh, not even two days go by without him pissing off two masters and one of the most politically powerful students there.