Theory: Aslydin is a member of the Seventeenth Shard

Lightflame

I think it's common knowledge by now that Demoux, Galladon, and some random dude who's probably from Warbreaker 2 show up in The Way of Kings. I have no clue why Galladon chose to run off and join the Hunt for the HoidTM, but I do have my guess as to why Demoux joined the team.

At the end of The Hero of Ages, Demoux has what every side character dreams of. He has one of the most broken superpowers ever, the knowledge that his idol is watching over him, and a road named after him. So why would he want to head to Roshar and try to find Hoid? Because his love interest told him to.

Aslydin is Demoux's love interest from The Hero of Ages. It's okay if you don't remember her, because she doesn't have a single line of dialogue in the whole trilogy. She was hanging out at the Pits of Hathsin, and Demoux fell in love with her.

Demoux is a very loyal character, so I don't think he'd be the type to go and abandon his wife. Therefore, I believe that Aslydin was a member of the Seventeenth Shard, and she was on Scadrial looking for Hoid. Because Hoid left Scadrial, she had to leave as well, but she offered Demoux the chance to come with her. He took it, and the two of them went to chase Hoid. Brandon did say in the Q&A that there were worldhopping characters in the earlier books, but they weren't supposed to be identified. Aslydin fits the bill.

Also, it's possible that Galladon was recruited immediately after Hoid left Sel, as they were there at the same time.

What do you think?

He was only imitating a Terris elder for a brief time - just to guide the refugees... If I remember correctly, he left after overhearing the bit about the well being in Luthadel, so he was likely only pretending to be an elder after the inquisitors killed the Synod, and until he heard about the well.

He was only imitating a Terris elder for a brief time - just to guide the refugees... If I remember correctly, he left after overhearing the bit about the well being in Luthadel, so he was likely only pretending to be an elder after the inquisitors killed the Synod, and until he heard about the well.

Still. That's enough time for the Terris people to walk most of the way from Terris to Luthadel. Probably a few months?

Minor point of order, but the third person is from a world we haven't seen. So probably from White Sands or Dragonsteel, not Warbreaker 2. Just thought I'd point that out :P

This isn't a bad idea. Interesting.

Minor point of order, but the third person is from a world we haven't seen. So probably from White Sands or Dragonsteel, not Warbreaker 2. Just thought I'd point that out :P/>/>

This isn't a bad idea. Interesting.

There's a part on the interview database where Peter says that Blunt isn't from Yolen, so he's most likely from White Sand. I'll find it for you, then edit it into this post.

EDIT:

SUPAHAMIR: "We also meet three other people who can travel between the worlds, two of whom we've met before (one in Elantris and one in Mistborn), who are apparently trying to track Hoid down.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

ROBDIZZLEDEETS: This really makes me excited to meet Blunt from Dragonsteel

PETER AHLSTROM: Blunt is NOT from Dragonsteel. :)

Source

Edited by Lightflame

There's a part on the interview database where Peter says that Blunt isn't from Yolen, so he's most likely from White Sand. I'll find it for you, then edit it into this post.

EDIT:

That's right. Well, either way, not from Nightblood :P

• 2 years later...

Confirmed!

Aslydin is a member of the Seventeenth Shard!

Ha! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!

Feels great to call something.

Also, Shardfork confirmed.

I was actually just coming by to let you know this theory was confirmed, but you beat me to it. "Lightylantern", I presume?

I'm curious, is she Terris, merely looks Terris, or changed her attributes to look Terris.  That still plays a huge part in this discussion, so her role is still somewhat up in the air to me.  This is the first case of people with different sDNA mating, so Im really interested in any potential offspring.

I'm curious, is she Terris, merely looks Terris, or changed her attributes to look Terris. That still plays a huge part in this discussion, so her role is still somewhat up in the air to me. This is the first case of people with different sDNA mating, so Im really interested in any potential offspring.

The quote from the AMA literally says the ethnicity of her name was one of the things meant to give it away, so definitely not Terris.

I was actually just coming by to let you know this theory was confirmed, but you beat me to it. "Lightylantern", I presume?

Lightflame was already taken there, so I did what I could.

....I should have asked if Dalinar's wife killed Asmodean.

I'd honestly forgotten that we even knew Aslydin's name, and apparently its etymology is important, so I guess we should really stop referring to her as "Demoux's girlfriend".

Edited by Kurkistan

Then the whole comment on the ethnicity of her name is now bizarre.

EDIT: Maybe one of her ancestors weren't native!

Perhaps Brandon assumed the question was asked because Lightflame found her in another book, not because he logiced his way to the conclusion. This could imply another appearance where she's named a different Terris-like name.

• 2 weeks later...

After having a little dig around Coppermind looking at various Cosmere naming conventions, her name could be of Terris origin.

It could also be Rosharan, but doesn't seem to have the not-quite-palindrome symmetry of Vorin names.

I suppose it could also be Yolish or another world, but I'm only going by published works.

Perhaps Brandon assumed the question was asked because Lightflame found her in another book, not because he logiced his way to the conclusion. This could imply another appearance where she's named a different Terris-like name.

Well, then. Anyone?

Ah, I've always loved this theory. Great to see it confirmed. Didn't Brandon once say that there was a Terriswoman worldhopper in Warbreaker somewhere? I'd always assumed that was Aslydin, though I don't think we've ever found her? 

It's interesting how close her name is to Elhokar's wife, though. Aslydin. Aesudan. A-S-D-N are the main letter progressions in both.