Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Windrunner

That was deceiving... more than half the questions were left unanswered. It is sad as the AMA was the only means fan who are unable to go to signings have to ask their questions and now it is gone.

I understand how you'd feel upset about not having any other way to ask Brandon questions since he seems to neglect the East Coast for book tours (and Canada all together). However, you can always try to ask via Twitter! He sometimes answers questions there.

I'm not sure if this AMA was deceiving in any way. If it's reddit's policy to archive AMAs after 6 months, then I see no fault in them following their SOP, even if the AMA was still fairly active. Maybe instead we can lobby them to re-open the AMA? Also, I feel blessed that Brandon participated in the AMA for so long! Even though he left a lot of questions unanswered, he kept coming back to answer some of them. Do you mostly feel deceived because questions you wanted answered weren't answered?

In the end, we all learned a lot from Brandon and I wouldn't be surprised if he does another one sooner than later. Lastly, maybe we can lobby Brandon, Peter, Rubix, or any other staff at the 17th Shard for Brandon to come back and do an AMA/respond to questions here like he did in 2012?

@Maxal

Like Titan said, I think we're much better off taking a "glass half full" approach here. Or more accurately "glass overflowing so much you can't see the glass properly at the bottom of the small pond it's created". Brandon's responsiveness in this AMA blew the last one out of the water, and I'm fairly sure did likewise to most other AMAs you'll see.

Did we officially know that Frost had not world-hopped prior to this answer?

I don't believe we do, as almost any attempt at getting info is RAFO'd. Although it makes sense to me. Seeing as he's (supposedly) a member of the 17th Shard (perhaps even a leader/high ranking member) and they seem to advocate a policy of non-intervention (mostly)

it makes sense that he wouldn't worldhop

Please do not get me wrong: I am very enthusiast over Brandon having spend so much of his time trying to answer the AMA. However, I am deceived it has been closed as I was hoping, naively, he may get to the end of it, eventually  :(

As for my deception, well, everyone knows I am very interested in character development (all characters, not just the one  ;) ) and I felt most questions going in that direction were left unanswered. I am sure many posters found many very interesting answers in there, but for my part the ones I yearned for weren't.

For the rest, I'll admit being jealous :ph34r: of those who are able to ask their own questions. Chances of me being able to do so are slim to none as I don't think Brandon has a strong business case in either Montreal or Ottawa. It is understandable he shall chose locations which are more likely to attract large crowd and it happens to be the west coast.

I guess I was hoping Reddit would simply close the thread for new questions, but allow Brandon to keep on answering... 

For the rest, I'll admit being jealous :ph34r: of those who are able to ask their own questions. Chances of me being able to do so are slim to none as I don't think Brandon has a strong business case in either Montreal or Ottawa. It is understandable he shall chose locations which are more likely to attract large crowd and it happens to be the west coast.

I believe Brandon will appear the most around where he lives... that seems to be what authors do... the ones that travel around, anyway. But we should not count out our locations, yet! Brandon does travel a lot for more than just book tours, so he might still end up where we are at (Canada in your case, the Bottom of the Abyss in mine). We would just have to watch and hope we can cease the opportunity!

And maybe he's saving Canada and the East Coast for his Bands of Mourning Tour! (I actually doubt there will be a tour for this book, but one only hopes in the unlikely!)

I believe Brandon will appear the most around where he lives... that seems to be what authors do... the ones that travel around, anyway. But we should not count out our locations, yet! Brandon does travel a lot for more than just book tours, so he might still end up where we are at (Canada in your case, the Bottom of the Abyss in mine). We would just have to watch and hope we can cease the opportunity!

And maybe he's saving Canada and the East Coast for his Bands of Mourning Tour! (I actually doubt there will be a tour for this book, but one only hopes in the unlikely!)

Canada is a big country... Last time he came to Canada, he came to Calgary... which is not exactly close  ;) So where is the Bottom of the Abyss located?

Regarding tours, I feel I need to remind you that it's the publishers that set the schedule, not Brandon. He has very little control over where they fly him. 

As for the AMA, I've made Peter (and, presumably, Brandon) aware of the situation - Peter at least didn't know about the archiving. I'll give them a couple of days and nag them for an update after that. 

I feel like I heard somewhere that with three books coming out so close, the publishers were basically planning what works out to one huge tour, broken up into three sections by book. So, presumably, places neglected by the first might be visited for the second or third leg. This might just be wishful thinking on my part. And terror, as this means the potential times he might come near me are blizzard season, again, the reason the only signing within four hours of me was cancelled last time.

My thoughts exactly. Has he worldhopped before/Did he used to worldhop but stopped after some...incident happened?

I suspect based based on the following quotes from the Letters that he is a shardholder now and that is why he doesn't world hop. Maybe I'll ask Brandon if Frost every has world hopped at the Shadows of Self tour's stop in Boston.

Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given.

Whether this was Tanavast’s design or not, millennia have passed without Rayse taking the life of another of the sixteen.

I suspect based based on the following quotes from the Letters that he is a shardholder now and that is why he doesn't world hop. Maybe I'll ask Brandon if Frost every has world hopped at the Shadows of Self tour's stop in Boston.

I was lightly discussing this with Moogle over in the Cosmere Theories Frost thread and I do agree that is a highly likely possibility, but from those quotes he seems to me more of an observer/spectator/someone-just-in-the-know commenting on the occurred events more than an actual holder but I can see it from both sides. We have seen that it is possible to possible become immortal through other means. If he is a holder though, I think it could be that he might be the holder of Endowment ( pure speculation as i'm going off that one phrase used in Warbreaker)

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Not on the AMA (still archived) but two new answers from Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3dlncy/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update/cuz6e8q?context=3

Q. I'm slightly confused about is who the primary POVs will be for the second set of 5 books[...]
A. It's possible this will change. But the back five have been planned as Jasnah, Renarin, Lift, Taln, and Ash. Though, once again, this isn't a promise that these people survive. You'll likely see at least one flashback set in the series from a character who has died in a previous book, and then you get to see something they experienced through flashbacks before their death.

I think this is the first confirmation that Ash is on the list. All the other quotes I've seen say "another herald" or something like that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3kbrfc/no_spoilers_how_the_heck_do_regular_people_on/cuyquv5?context=3

Q. How the heck do regular people on Roshar tell the difference between Ruby and Garnet spheres? [...]
A. :) I'll write something up about this eventually. The hue is more important than the actual crystalline structure on Roshar.

Elsewhere in the comments on that thread Ben and Peter both confirm some of what we already know about sphere sizes and use.

How can dead people be primary POV for the second half? Dead people can be flashbacks, I understand this, but main POV characters??? Why is it main POV characters and flashbacks characters seem to be mixed most of the time? Sorry but none of this makes sense to me. And what about the characters we are currently reading about? How can it be epic fantasy if the cast changes midway? I'd rather keep on reading about our current set of characters with a few additional sides as we move on...

I am not actually enthralled by the planning. In fact, I don't like it. Learning I won't be reading about the characters I love in the second half makes me not want to read the second half... I sincerely fear for the future of SA as I now think everyone will just die at the end of the first arc and I hate those kind of endings. Why would I bother reading the rest of the series if everyone dies and I know about it? 

Whoa, maxal, steady on. We're still only 2 books in and the 3rd isn't going to be released till likely just over a year from now and the other 3 probably not for another 4-6 years depending on Brandon's working speed. He said at least one viewpoint would be likely be from a dead person, not all of them and I seem to recall there will be a timegap between the two arcs. Just because some characters aren't primary viewpoints it doesn't mean they won't be prominent characters in the books. It is an epic fantasy after all so I for one do expect it to be possible that characters we have so invested ourselves to perhaps meet their end at some point in the story. (I do get where you're coming from but we're talking about events that are still likely to change, if only a little bit, and are about probably between 6-9 years away, depending how long a break Brandon takes between the blocks) so it is still marginally early for uber harsh judgement just yet :D

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Also remember that SA is essentially 2 different series of 5 books each.  Some characters will cross over (those that were more minor in the front 5 will be major in the back 5, and vice versa), and the series will continue with its same themes and overall plot.  That said, I agree with ParadoxSpren that some of the characters we know will still play prominent roles in the back 5. 

I believe I read that Brandon will take about a 5 year break between Arc 1 and Arc 2, which correlates to the 5 Roshar years in between the 2 arcs.

Whoa, maxal, steady on. We're still only 2 books in and the 3rd isn't going to be released till likely just over a year from now and the other 3 probably not for another 4-6 years depending on Brandon's working speed. He said at least one viewpoint would be likely be from a dead person, not all of them and I seem to recall there will be a timegap between the two arcs. Just because some characters aren't primary viewpoints it doesn't mean they won't be prominent characters in the books. It is an epic fantasy after all so I for one do expect it to be possible that characters we have so invested ourselves to perhaps meet their end at some point in the story. (I do get where you're coming from but we're talking about events that are still likely to change, if only a little bit, and are about probably between 6-9 years away, depending how long a break Brandon takes between the blocks) so it is still marginally early for uber harsh judgement just yet :D

Sorry I over-reacted yesterday: too much of too many good things which alternatively turned bad  :ph34r: You are of course right. However, the way the whole question was phrased weirdly. It sounded as if the main story arc would follow dead characters which can't be the case... It also sounded as if everyone was going to die which is kind of my worst possible outcome as I don't think it is brilliant when an author slaughters his cast, but tragic and sad. However, I did carry it a bit too far. I hate when I do that, so sorry again.

Well. If Ash and Taln are who we think they are, then we're absolutely going to get two Main POV Characters "who have died".

Also true. I wonder if the Heralds can reincarnate/rebirth/regenerate themselves after splintering the Oathpact now. Taln perhaps can but should one of the others pop their clogs could that be it?

While not the official AMA, Brandon still replies to the occasional question in the Oathrbinger thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3dlncy/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update/cv1n71j?context=10000

Q: I'm having trouble locating Ash. No direct matches on coppermind.net, 17th shard forums or google.

Do you mean Ashir from one of the WoK interludes? Or perhaps someone we havent met yet (at least by name).
A: There are a lot of weird things going on with Ash, so what's up with her will be something you'll have to wait on for a long while.

Q: I'm having trouble locating Ash. No direct matches on coppermind.net, 17th shard forums or google.

Do you mean Ashir from one of the WoK interludes? Or perhaps someone we havent met yet (at least by name).
A: There are a lot of weird things going on with Ash, so what's up with her will be something you'll have to wait on for a long while.

The assumption is that Ash is Shalash, the Herald? People swear by Ash's eyes' right? 

A follow-on question about Ash:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/3dlncy/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update/cv3649d?context=3

Q:

I've been wondering for a while whether it is significant that Ash's name so closely resembles Shashara's from Warbreaker?

A:

No, nothing significant there.

On another board, someone asked about a Wheel of Time vs Mistborn magical battle, and the response dealt with the mechanics of atium:

https://www.reddit.com/r/whowouldwin/comments/3l1i3m/randland_vs_scadrial_wheel_of_time_vs_mistborn/cv363iz?context=3

Q:

Would the time reversing properties of balefire remove the ability to see the future?

A:

Boy, this one is a tough call. Mixing cosmologies is tough. If we're IN Randland, then atium would work by reading the pattern--but in the Cosmere, it looks into the spiritual realm--where all times, locations, and possibilities conflate. Either way, I'd say Balefire could counteract Atium--but it would be tricky to use correctly, as you'd basically have to balefire some object that the atium burner was factoring into their plans very soon, tripping them up and catching them unable to adjust to the new futures quickly enough.

That bit with atium and balefire is a little weird because of the previous answer about using it eventually allowing you to, with enough power, be able to see into the Cognitive (not the Spiritual). I'm thinking that it's probably not a typo, but I'm trying to get my head into how seeing into the Spiritual like that leads to seeing the Cognitive.

I find myself wondering how bronze and copper would interact with channeling... Would it tip the balance if Team Scadrial had access to plentiful nicrosil and chromium?

...I have an odd image in my head now of two mistborn, fighting side-by-side, each with nicrosil, but neight has duralumin... needing to coordinate for their bursts. "When I stop burning bronze and start burning iron, burst me! ... Then drag me away, very fast." "Kay, I'll be reading your pulses."

That bit with atium and balefire is a little weird because of the previous answer about using it eventually allowing you to, with enough power, be able to see into the Cognitive (not the Spiritual). I'm thinking that it's probably not a typo, but I'm trying to get my head into how seeing into the Spiritual like that leads to seeing the Cognitive.

Sorry about the downvote. On my phone and it don't do what i want. Can someone please fix it.

Here's the Cognitive one:

Source:

Wigginns:

Hey Brandon. First of all I'm incredibly impressed and thankful for the dedication you've put into this thread, answering pretty much every question for over 4 months. Second, thank you for what you do. I've been reading your books for 7 or so years now and I've loved every novel and short story I can get my hands on.

I've been doing a reread (listen) of Mistborn on my way to work the past month or so. What would a hemolurgic spike granting atium do for an allomancer already able to burn atium? Does it function similarly to bronze, granting enhanced atium-ing? Along this line of thought, would enhancing electrum burning via spike be of any advantage?

Brandon
A spike of something you have would enhance your ability, giving your more strength. With Atium, more strength makes for a minimal edge--the length you can push out the atium shadows. However, there's a certain breaking point where you kind of crack the whole system, peer straight into the cognitive realm, and kind of have a "It's full of stars" moment.

Electrum could reach this same moment, potentially, though there's more interference to fight through. Extra strength in electrum isn't going to be terribly useful up to that point.