Nightblood, Any Ideas What Its Exact Shape Is?

Arook

I was hoping that the fine members of this community might have more luck then I when looking for anything concrete on what night blood looks like exactly. I was thinking about it today and realized that my picture of it is a little indistinct. I know Nightblood is black and silver, with a silver cap on the tip of the sheath. I how ever can not remember if there is any reference in the book as to shape, length and, if it has a both sides sharpened or only one. Also is there any reference to a cross guard? Is there any markings on Nightblood? As for marking I believe It is always referred to as plain. Thank you for your help.

EDIT:

So based on what I have read again in Warbreaker I concluded the approximate size of Nightblade. While listening to the audio book I listened for any size references for both the sword and Vasher. Here is what I found so far.

Vasher states the while holding the sword at his side in his hand the tip is almost touching the ground (I figure 1 to 4 inches off the ground)

If vasher is about 6' in height and similar to me in arm length then the sword is around 53" (to 60")overall with a 42" blade

All Returned are about 7' in height

While talking to scoot Lightsong mentions that the railing made for a Returned is about 1' to high.

So its a good bet Vasher is 5'9 to 6'

Nightblade is always referred to as being a huge sword. Most likely made to be used by a Returned as that is who made it. Meaning anyone holding Nightblade it should feel just a little on the large side. So I figure about 2 1/2 hand hilt and around 1 3/4" front to back.

During the guards recounting of Vashers' attack he states that Nightblade is straight and really long. Not like a dueling blade but like an eastern sword(not that direction helps on this planet).

Things I still need are does Nightblades hooked cross guard have 1 hook or 2 hooks
Does night blade have two edges

Edited by Arook

To the best of my knowledge, Nightblood is a heavy black sword with a silver sheath hooked to the hilt by a clasp. Nightblood also has a hooked crossguard. When I was doing the research to answer your question, I discovered that Nightblood does have a crossguard. In my mind, Nightblood was like a single-edged katana, with a minimal guard. I still think Nightblood is most likely a single-edged blade, but probably not as curved as a katana because of this style of crossguard. So that you have an idea, a hooked crossgurad looks like the following:

p07hq01.jpg

Here's are several quotes from Warbreaker that help create the general description of Nightblood:

From Vasher’s bag, a guard pulled free a long object wrapped in white linen. The man whistled as he unwrapped the cloth, revealing a long, thin- bladed sword in a silver sheath. The hilt was pure black.

Evidence of the weight and clasp that ties the sheath to the hilt:

“Let me see that,” the lead guard said, taking the sword. He grunted, obviously surprised by its weight. He turned it about, noting the clasp that tied sheath to hilt, keeping the blade from being drawn. He undid the clasp.

Here's a description of the blade being black:

The man, Vasher, stepped forward. He undid the clasp on that deep, black sword, and Vivenna felt a strange nausea strike her. A thin wisp of black smoke began to curl up from the blade

Here's the only mention in the entire book of a crossguard for Nightblood.

“I prefer to use a longer rope,” Vasher said, raising Nightblood by the blade and using its hooked crossguard to pull the branches down.

As a reference, here's a picture of my copy of Nightblood that I use for a Vasher costume. Now that I know it has a crossguard, I may have to jury-rig something. 

u8RLx9f.jpg

Edited by Titan Arum

• 1 month later...

According to Vivenna Nightblood is five feet long. 

“Honestly,” she said. “You would think that you’d admit that bringing a five-foot-long black sword out in public would be rather conspicuous . It doesn’t help, mind you, that said sword bleeds smoke and can talk in people’s minds.”

Sanderson, Brandon (2009-06-09). Warbreaker (p. 476). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is a necro, but this topic contained some of my inspiration for this, so I figured it'd be worth making a Lifeless in the Warbreaker forum for this. :ph34r:  I just took these ideas and my own image in my head and tried out a quick version in Pixelmator (like Photoshop).

Let me know what everyone thinks!

I was thinking about this because of the TOR reread, and I'm kind of inclined to think that Nightblood is probably shaped pretty similarly to a Feder, the type used in HEMA, though probably sized more like a montante.

Feder

Montante

Not finding a good size reference, but think what people typically imagine for a claymore. The practice ones we use are Overall Length: 61", Handle Length: 16", Guard Length 12"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

From Vasher’s bag, a guard pulled free a long object wrapped in white linen. The man whistled as he unwrapped the cloth, revealing a long, thin-bladed sword in a silver sheath. The hilt was pure black. “Who do you suppose he stole this from?”

“With the sword that hit me,” the second guard said. “Big thing. Not a dueling blade, more like an Easterner sword. Straight and really long. Had it hidden under his cloak, and we would have seen it, if he hadn’t covered it up by walking so oddly.”

“Honestly,” she said. “You would think that you’d admit that bringing a five-foot-long black sword out in public would be rather conspicuous. It doesn’t help, mind you, that said sword bleeds smoke and can talk in people’s minds.”

So five feet long, straight sword with a black hilt and an aluminum sheathe.