Long Game 6: Daes Dae'Mar, The Great Game

1: the lists are missing Aonar's vote for Jain

2: I'm not saying groupthink is a good thing, just that inactivity coupled w/ a lack of night 1 Kills is suspicious, therefore I'm gonna make sure Jim goes down and the darkfriends can't save him if he is one of them (this would explain the lack of a second kill night 1)

Erik leaned back from the paperwork and massaged his temples. If only there was another way to identify these darkfriends. But no, he had to sift through all of the reports, looking for hints of inconsistencies and misdirection. And he was finding them. There were signs almost everywhere. Why did he have to travel through Cairhien? It was almost like the Pattern had it out for him.

Despite the timing of these posts, I have been pouring through the evidence for over an hour now, and had already settled my firmest suspicions on Jain, with Trimat being a close second. I am not going to ask for your reasoning, as you've posted that three times now. You are welcome to make a more thorough explanation of your choices, though.

And might I add, by my count there are still four players who stated an intent to vote later. I am curious to find out how many follow through.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Edit2: That is an absurdly bold phrasing there. Perhaps role-playing a Borderlander patrol sergeant is bleeding over into my OOC discussions. =(

But my point was that I feel my vote is sufficiently grounded in the fact that he has posted odd explanations multiple times already. I had no intention of telling anyone that they shouldn't counter-argue me. If anything, I really need the feedback.

Edited by Sir Jerric

I have been quite busy these past couple days and haven't had much time, but while I do find all three people currently voted for suspicious, I have to stick with my feeling about Dellan. He was suspicious yesterday, and then inactive today. Something feels off to me about that. In game 1, I had a gut feeling about Mat on the first day but I allowed myself to be swayed and if I had stuck with it, we might've lynched the Spiked Mistborn the first day. Granted, in Game 4 (particularly the earlier bit), my gut feelings weren't all that great, but Dellan is really sticking out in my mind.

Just getting off a 13hr day and my brain is fried so apologies if my logic isn't on par tonight. I'll better explain myself tomorrow after I've gotten some sleep if this doesn't make sense.

My thoughts on the current potential noose fillers.

Bella - Having one of their members add the deciding lynch vote late in the day seems like a reckless move for the DF's on the very first day. They had to know what kind of suspicion that would cause. Taking out someone that early isn't worth risking the exposure of one of their members. Granted, Bela could have acted on her own or the DF's thought the risk was worth it but for now I'm willing to accept Bela's reasoning for why she voted.

Lam - The "Forsaken/Fain didn't act last night so one of the inactive players must be that role" argument seems a bit thin to me. It's possible, but not strong enough for me to vote someone out based on it. If I were Fain, I wouldn't have converted anyone last night either. He/she only has so many conversations so needs to be very carful with who they choose. Fain can afford to sit back and let the villagers/DF's pick each other off for a little while he/she gathers intel on ideal targets.

Jim - I won't mind if Jim gets lynched. I haven't hidden the fact that I'm not a fan of inactive players. If you aren't posting, voting, and discussing the game, you are a detriment to the villagers because that's our primary means of identifying the DF's. I'd rather kill an inactive villager than risk the possibility of a DF skating by just because we ignored them in the background.

Jain - Your vote for Lam created a few red flags since to me the logic seemed a bit faulty. I was willing to let it slide though because my experience in the past is that the two of us follow the beat of different drummers in how we approach this game. Your switch to help bandwagon Jim, however, I can't ignore since essentially your argument for bandwagoning was that you wanted to join a bandwagon which is never a good thing.

What I see in the pattern (no pun intended) is you voting for lam to sway votes from Bela. When that didn't amount to anything and it looked like Jim was going to overtake Bela, you jumped on that one instead. I could be jumping at shadows but that's what makes the most sense to me for why you voted how you did (as stated above, I have difficulties predicting your actions normally so it's entirely possible I am completely off on that but gotta trust my own instincts). As such, I'm voting for you today even though it's likely Jim will be leaving us instead. If you do turn out to be a DF, I will be reassessing my suspicions of Bela.

I've been busy the past couple days. I've had some work and I've been hanging out with friends a lot. I didn't expect it to cause suspicion, though, otherwise I would've made sure to log in and afk more often. :P

I don't appreciate the second vote against me, Malai, but I don't suspect you of being a Darkfriend so I'm not going to retaliate against your accusations as of right now.

-

So the Forsaken didn't use their kill? Hmm. Surprising. I shall have to retreat back into my lair and ponder on this (non) occurrence.

Edit: It was blue. STORM IT. IT WAS BLUE.

Edited by Kal Dell

At this point in time, my vote is going to Bela. I agree that in the dogpile on Dirt that has emerged, Jain comes out looking pretty suspicious. At the same time, I'm not particularly thrilled with the (semi)-dogpile on Lam right as Bela was leading with the lynch votes. When that was pointed out (invoking Meta's Principle), votes immediately accumulated for Dirt. Suspicious individuals have emerged, but the pattern I'm seeing most is a sharp swing away from Bela. At the same time, I'm also not entirely convinced by Bela's explanation. It seems to me that eliding the distinction between a no-lynch on the first day and complete passivity, allowing the DFs and PF to rip us to shreds defends a strategy that perfectly furthers the expected goals of a DF.

For those reason, there's precisely where my vote is going. Apparently, we're all bloody-minded today...

Okay, so. I've been pretty busy today, but I've tried to keep up with the thread as much as I could. I'm not thrilled about the bandwagon and so many people admitting to piling on simply because of the bandwagon. I hope they realize that is absolutely a DF's dream. As has already been said, the fact that there isn't really any contest to Dirt's lynching likely means that he is not a DF. Sure, he might be Fain, but right now, if Fain knows what he's doing, he'll actually be helping the villagers for the first couple cycles, waiting to convert until things die down a little bit and he has a better gauge of who would be best to convert. So lynching Dirt simply because he's inactive and could be Fain is not in our best interests right now. We need to find some DFs, and I think we have a couple in the vote for Dirt.

Hence, I'm voting Jain. Up to this point, he hasn't really been particularly helpful. In fact, his few PMs to me have been downright confusing, with very little explanation despite a request for more clarification. While this doesn't make him a DF, clarity isn't something the DFs want the villagers to have. In fact, the more confusion they can inspire, the better. And he's certainly not helping currently by jumping on bandwagons just for the sake of jumping on them.

This vote probably won't even matter since there are 6 votes for Dirt and with my two, the vote for Jain will be 5. So odds are that Dirt will still be lynched. But I can't sit back and let that happen without at least trying to do something to prevent it. I really don't think he's a DF, and I'm a little worried that he could actually be an important villager. We've already lost our Whitecloak. I'd prefer not adding our Wisdom, Viewer, or, heaven forbid, our Wolfbrother to that. I'm not really a fan of doing the DF's jobs for them, personally. I'd much rather make things far more difficult for them. :P

Ok, this is really starting to become Game 5. Friendly Fire kill of the first victim on Day 1 - who also is an important player -, protected person one Night 1, and I become Public Enemy number 2 on Day 2 for being inconsistent, even though that's how my personality is like (As I said in Game 5, I have mood swings of a Unicorn on crack). I'm guessing I'll die via Item/Role on Night 3.

As for me jumping on a bandwagon, I just like to do so for the fun. Besides, it's also my first vote change. Better use it, and why not on the day I vote for the first time ever?  :P 

Oh, in case I die, Kas will get my toy panda. Ashiok gets if Kas dies/is dead. Wilson, you're third in line.

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THEM IN YOUR RP! Let the toy panda legacy continue!

I was never intending the bandwagon to grow as it did. I was hoping that if Jim were intending to play, I could encourage him to come on and defend himself. Instead, it seems a lot of people want him dead. So, Jim Bob Dirt, have a reprieve. I could vote for Bela, but that would tie the votes, and I really think her move was too obvious for the DF. Instead -yes, it's something of a bandwagon, but they've all been well-argued votes from a big group of experienced players - Jain.

The common room was full. That was a good thing. The Borderlander, Erik - an odd name for a Borderlander if she had ever heard one - had claimed the largest table as a makeshift "command center." That wasn't necessarily bad, but Khamsi couldn't help but think having someone use her common room as a war center would be good for business.

'Then again,' she thought as villager after villager came in to report who they found most suspicious, 'it does have people coming in again...' And most of them stayed for a drink, some even ordering a meal. Her new girl, Rishi, was an absolute wonder; if she was needed in the kitchen, the girl could cook. If she was needed to serve, the girl could smile and titter and slap as well as any tavern maid Khamsi had ever seen. Her first day, and she already deserved a raise.

It was a little disheartening, though, all the talk of Darkfriends. She didn't know of any Darkfriends who could tear a man apart like that - such a person would have been covered head-to-toe in blood, at the very least. She had thought maybe Trollocs, when she'd first seen the remains, but Trollocs didn't leave remains... She shuddered again, banishing that thought and discretely touching one of the knives hidden in her sleeve. Not that it would do much. No, a dead body was one thing - the murder of the mayor spoke of malevolent glee, someone who was having fun, someone who not only enjoyed delving into the darkness within, but lived there.

She rubbed harder at the stain on the table. She did not want to think about what could have done that and enjoyed it.

Sighing, she returned to the bar, disposing of the rag and filling two mugs of fresh ale. Humming, partly in an effort to announce her presence, partly in an effort to banish the thoughts she had been ruminating on earlier. Khamsi smiled as she approached Erik, setting one of the mugs down on an empty space of table. "On the house," she said, lifting hers in a facsimile of a salute before taking a pull. "I can't say I enjoy having a command center in the middle of my new inn, but you have been bringing in the customers, so I suppose it balances out."

She let her eyes roam over the reports and notes the mad had scrawled and shook her head, crinkling her nose. "This whole lynching business is so odd to me," she said, attempting to make conversation; she'd be performing in about an hour, and had nothing to do until then. "Casting votes on who dies based entirely on suspicion... I have to say, though, that Jim Bob Dirt whatever is an strange one... My aunts always said, 'never trust a man who sells what you could get for yourself - he's taking no risk, and profits only from the wool-headed.'"

So... there's my vote. Had to find a way for Khamsi to vote without actually saying she wanted someone dead. I was going to rename the Spruce Thicket in this post, but I think I'll hold off on that until my next post.

Ok, this is really starting to become Game 5. Friendly Fire kill of the first victim on Day 1 - who also is an important player -, protected person one Night 1, and I become Public Enemy number 2 on Day 2 for being inconsistent, even though that's how my personality is like (As I said in Game 5, I have mood swings of a Unicorn on crack). I'm guessing I'll die via Item/Role on Night 3.

As for me jumping on a bandwagon, I just like to do so for the fun. Besides, it's also my first vote change. Better use it, and why not on the day I vote for the first time ever?  :P 

Oh, in case I die, Kas will get my toy panda. Ashiok gets if Kas dies/is dead. Wilson, you're third in line.

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THEM IN YOUR RP! Let the toy panda legacy continue!

For no reason at all, Kaim faltered and shivered. For a moment, he'd thought he'd heard something. Something that sounded suspiciously like three nameless voices, crying out in horror before they were abruptly silenced. With shaky hands, he lit his pipe, and slowly started off on his way home again.

I've seen some good arguments for voting for both Bob Dirt and Jain. At risk of killing someone important, and in the interest of getting more information, I cast a vote for... *flips coin* Jain.

-

I'm new to this, but it's my opinion that you can't get any real information without the information you get from deaths. Waiting around is not really my style, and I don't think just talking will get us villagers anywhere.

Night 2: Nightmares and Dreamscapes

The news of the attack on Waes hadn't surprised the villagers of Drell's Crossing, and his survival had brought with it more suspicion than relief. The townsfolk knew that the darkfriends had to have had some sort of leader, and there was openly admitted surprise that there had only been one attack during the night.

Some villagers tried to maintain some semblance of normalcy and tried to continue on with their regular functions, with Khamsi, the gleewoman even going as far as to claim ownership of the no longer vacant Spruce Thicket and hiring back on Rishi as her top employee. Erik, the borderlander, had also commandeered the common room for his own purposes and soon had messengers running back and forth, using the central location of the building in the village as a tactical command center.

The stress and anxiety of the recent events had taken their toll on the villagers, however; and soon enough the accusations began to fly as people publicly denounced each other as darkfriends. The heated arguments soon found their focus around a few suspects. The debates went back and forth and raged on the whole afternoon, with villagers urging people not to forget the Dragon Fang that had been found on the stable, and the suspicious activities of Bela, the shaggy mare, the day before.

Many began to ask about the dirt salesman, Jim Bob Dirt's suspicious absence since the murders began, and without him showing up to defend himself people began to call for him to be hanged. Mayor Witless stepped forward and pointed out the erratic behaviour of the strange wanderer, Jain, who had recently strolled into town, and the voices calling for his blood began to grow the loudest. With the dying light, all of the villagers looked to Witless to make the call. He was their leader, and it was his burden of responsibility to give the sentence. With a sigh, the Mayor gave the signal to carry out the execution, with his eyes showing no hint of the vacant, glossy stare that had been formerly associated with the fool.

As Jain was getting strung up, he cried out in protest, muttering something about the Unseen World and haunting the villagers nightmares while fumbling around for something in his pockets. As the noose tightened around his neck and his struggles began to grow weaker, something dropped from his hands to the ground below him. It was his black and white toy, in the shape of an odd beast he had called a panda. The villagers rushed forward to pour over his person for any evidence of being a darkfriend, and upon further inspection, hidden deep inside of the wooden caricature, they found a strange piece of jewelry. A smooth stone ring flecked with bits of green and red, too large for a finger, twisted around in a strange pattern that made it appear to have have only one edge that was tied to a long strap of rawhide for a necklace, but they found no signs of evil or wrongdoing. The villagers were so focused on the strange ring that none of them noticed the panda toy glaring back at the lifeless of body of Jain, with an evil, triumphant grin on it's face.

Jain was Villager Dreamwalker! Night 2 Begins and will last either 48 hours until 7AM EST Tuesday, June 24th -OR- until all Night Actions get sent in. Remember, 'No Action' counts as an Action you can send in!

Votes:
Jain (7) -  Leas Fel, Erik, Waes, Witless(+1), Douza, Dellan
Jim Bob Dirt (6) - Jain, Bunnt, Grimlar, Lam, Trimat, Khamsi
Bela(+1) (4) - Joel, Jae, Kaim
Lam (2) - Ralv, Newan
Dellan (1) - Malai

Also, an Official Announcement! The Forsaken does *not* have any secret, hidden powers. All elements/mechanics that are in play in this game were all included in the Original Post.

Updated Player ListTM 

1)(Kasimir) - Kaim, a retired Thief-Taker
2)(Little Wilson) - Witless, the Town Fool
3)(Lightsworn Panda) - Jain, Random Traveler
Villager Dreamwalker
4)(TheoryMaker) - Nath, an Average Guy
5)(Kal Dell) - Dellan, Quiet Countryman
6)(Alvron) - Ralv, a Passing Wanderer
7)(Only Joe) - Joel, Antisocial Hermit
8)(Leonardus) - Lam, Street Sweeper
9)(Shivertongue) - Khamsi Zareef, Domani Gleewoman
10)(Mailliw73) - Malai, Horse Breeder
11)(Grey Pilgrim) - Grimlar al'Pil, Town Drunk
12)(Renegade) - Gade, Innkeeper - Villager Whitecloak
13)(Adolin Dustbringer) - Jim Bob Dirt,  Dirt Salesman
14)(AonarFaileas) - Leas Fel, Aiel War Veteran
15)(Lev) - Bela, A Shaggy Mare?
16)(New One) - Newan, a Seanchan morat'raken
17)(Awesomeness Summoned) - Waes, Cobbler
18)(Ashiok) - Trimat, Manure Salesman
19)(twelfthrootoftwo) - Douza, Blacksmith Apprentice
20)(Sphinx) - Senna, Village Weaver
21)(Jaelre) - Jae, Inn Hall Boy
22)(Aspren) - Sprell Hanaar, Village Carpenter
23)(Binnut) - Bunnt Nibbel, Quiet Farmer
24)(Sir Jerric) - Erik, Homesick Borderlander
25)(QuiteContrary) - Rishi, Tavern Maid

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Waes spent most of the day recovering but as the day waned he decided the killers wouldn't be resting tonight so he couldn't either. He hobbled into the town square right when the debates were most heated. He listened carefully to all the arguments and ultimately decided the traveler he had called out the previous day was still the most suspicious. Apparently, many others felt the same way.

Standing there watching the limp body sway in the breeze, Waes decided this pointless name calling needed to stop. They needed some form of coordination otherwise they were going to do the killer's job for them.

"Can I have everyone's attention please!" Most eyes turned his way and a few of the villagers who had started to wander away turned to listen.

Waes coughed a few times and took a minute to regathering his strength. Just raising his voice seemed to take more out of him than he cared to admit.

"We need to stop killing ourselves with paranoia and blind accusations. We need to start a real, coordinated investigation. I am going back home to rest for the night but if you feel that you have some talent or skill that would be useful in searching out these killers, please come visit me so we can start devising some real strategies."

"Some of you still don't seem to trust me so I'll just say this. If you think I'm the kind of person to risk my own neck just to worm my way into people's good graces, you never really knew me. I could have saved Jain if I had known about him. If you are lynched later on because you were too paranoid to speak openly with me, I'm not going to feel bad about it"

With that, Waes turned and hobbled back towards his house.

I might be laying it on a bit thick but I don't feel like dancing around the issue anymore. Pretty much every game the villagers have won it has been because one or two people had enough knowledge to organize the villager strategies effectively. If you have a role, please contact me so I can coordinate our assets tonight. I will not divulge your role to anyone else or even let anyone know you contact me if you would like.

I agree with the need for a coordinated effort. What to people think about discussion the Dragon's Fang publically so that the Vanilla players make somewhat of a more calculated group decision as opposed to a personal belief. I worry however that discussing it publically would be an easy way for the Darkfriends to try to get an extra vote against a Villager. Thoughts?

I agree with the need for a coordinated effort. What to people think about discussion the Dragon's Fang publically so that the Vanilla players make somewhat of a more calculated group decision as opposed to a personal belief. I worry however that discussing it publically would be an easy way for the Darkfriends to try to get an extra vote against a Villager. Thoughts?

I'm all for discussing who to Fang openly (with the collective agreement that engaging in discussion about who should be Fanged doesn't necessarily immediately indicate the player is a regular villager), as I believe I mentioned earlier on Day Two. In fact, I think it's this sort of public discussion that, when combined with the information we're getting in the day cycles, can help us narrow down on suspicious people who might be DFs. Whether or not we discuss it publicly, there's a strong likelihood the DFs will attempt to influence the Fanging where possible anyway; it's basically adding an extra vote to someone, after all. IMO, making it public increases the chances that we'll be able to pick up on fishy things going on.

The wooden panda sat on the rough-grained study table. It stared at him.

Kaim stared back.

He hadn't even really known Jain; he'd exchanged only a few words with the traveller, yet the man had taken him aside a few hours ago and told him to keep the panda. Had he known, even then? Certainly, there was a touch of resignation to the man's voice. Jain had known, perhaps, that the tide in the village was turning against him. But what was this panda, this toy that Jain had always carried about with him? Perhaps it was a keepsake; marvellously-carved, with chips of black stone for its eyes and an unnerving grin on its face... Stop it, Kaim told himself. He was imagining things. Just nerves. Knowing that the enemy marched upon them was one thing. Knowing that the enemy was in among them was another. He pressed his forehead to the table, pinched the bridge of his nose with his fingers. "I didn't want any of this," he said aloud. "I'm retired." No more chases; no more hunting.

Silence.

In the flickering candelight, he thought he noticed the panda's grin widen.

Kaim shivered, and shoved the panda roughly into his coat pocket. Leas would be out there, either with the patrols, or looking over reports in the Spruce Thicket with Erik. Or...doing whatever he did. He found his pipe, filled it from the stash of Two Rivers tabac he'd been saving, just for times like this, and lit it from the candle. His hands trembled, and he glared at them until they stilled. "I miss that old Sharan leaf," he grumbled, aloud. So much for Two Rivers tabac. He counted; one, two breaths, steadying himself. Gently, he blew out the candle, and left for his patrol.

Nath came back from the woods. Today had been an unsuccessful hunting day, but he had gotten away from the craziness of the town which was reward enough. Nath wasn't surprised to see that they had hung someone today. He just shook his head as he went to his house for a good night's sleep.

I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was busy. But on Day Three I'll post, I'll vote for people, and it'll be fun. (Probably not fun, but whatever).

So tune in: 

Same Wheel Time!

Same Wheel Channel!

(I just wanted to say that).  :D 

Do NOT send your roles to Waes!!!  First he tells Sprell that having one person know who all the normal players are isn't a good idea and now hes calling for the roles to be sent to him, ignoring the very same argument that he used.  Second, he states that if he was to get himself attacked in order to gain the trust of others then we don't really know him, another lie.  That is exactly the type of thing Waes would try.  He is very good at manipulating people.  Third, even if he was clean then all our roles could easily be passed to Fain just by corrupting one person.  Fourth, we still have our seeker(s) who could easily build a trusted group without the need to expose all its members.

First he tells Sprell that having one person know who all the normal players are isn't a good idea and now hes calling for the roles to be sent to him, ignoring the very same argument that he used.

Sprell has done nothing to show he is not Fain as such all normal players announcing their role to him is like feeding him a buffet if he should turn out to be Fain. But if you will kindly reread that post, I said it's fine if people want to take the risk and contact him. That's their right. I just suggested making a large group with all the claimed normal villagers was a bad idea.

Now, in my situation, it has been pretty uniformly accepted that I survived last night because I am either Aielblooded or a Channeler. Both exclude me from being Fain so it is a completely different situation as sending Sprell that information. My argument against Sprell's request does not apply here.

Second, he states that if he was to get himself attacked in order to gain the trust of others then we don't really know him, another lie. That is exactly the type of thing Waes would try.

Please show me examples from previous games that back up your vast knowledge of what I would and would not do. What you'll find instead is that I have made it to nearly the end of three full eliminations games and not once gotten voted out (barely recieving any votes at all for that matter) because I take special care not to take needless risks. Wasting an Aiel life or earth weaves for a gambit to gain trust is a needless risk in my opinion. If you don't believe that, reread the comment Kaim made about me advising him against a wounded gazelle gambit in game 5. You think I'd warn someone else against that kind of move than go and take the same risk myself in the very next game? Again, if you think I would do that, you haven't been paying attention. Game 5 made it clear to everyone that, as you said, I'm good at manipulation. I know people come into games suspicious of me now so there is no way if I was a DF I would suddenly attempt a tactic that I thought was too risky back when people trusted me.

Third, even if he was clean then all our roles could easily be passed to Fain just by corrupting one person.

First, corrupting the roles is not really Fain's goal (I personally would avoid them if I were Fain) since they are the easiest to identify once turned. He would prefer to corrupt one DF and the rest indiscreet villagers. He wants to hide in the shadows and let the rest of us kill each other, not waste his corruption on players that could be identified and eliminated.

Secondly and more importantly, I was not lying when I said I'd be a bad choice for Fain. If I'm the channeler, he absolutely would not want to turn me because it would be apparent to people pretty quickly if I was claiming to have weaves but suddenly wouldn't use them. If I'm Aiel it's less of a risk but there are still a number of people I've been working very closely with who know my current plans and strategies and would likely be able to tell a difference after turned. Yes, I'm pretty good at convincing people I'm their friend but, As I said, finding out specific roles is not Fain's biggest goal so corrupting me would be a very big risk for not all that much gain. There are far safer targets out there.

Want one more assurance? As soon as Fain corrupts someone in the writeup, the Viewer scans me the next day. One more reason for Fain to avoid me.

Fourth, we still have our seeker(s) who could easily build a trusted group without the need to expose all its members.

Yes, the Viewer can build a trusted group but will take an extremely long time with only being able to identify one person a cycle. Plus, as soon as someone is corrupted, they are back to square one and have to rescan all their trusted members. Finally, the DF likely have a viewer as well. Who's to say that viewer you rally behind is even one of us? A better person to rally behind is the thief-catcher or wolfbrother since they can't be DF. I have a far better chance of getting those two positively identified if people send me their roles than the Viewer does by randomly scanning people.

Ralv if you want to be afraid of me, fine don't work with me but please stop trying to sabotage my efforts to get something productive accomplished.

Edit: grammatical stuff

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned