BEST books you ever read

Elf

Allright, I thought i would start this as a pce to share the best, the absolute BEST books you have ever read, so you get to have a simping session about your favorite reads and perhaps give someone else theri favorite read. <3 

I'll start 

1. The Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo  

An unlikely group of outcasts and criminals perform a heist

Spoiler

IMG_20220609_132750.thumb.jpg.fb8e4b96445c12c2af2c5d0dfda4022e.jpg

2. The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern 

Magic circus. need i say more?

Spoiler

IMG_20220609_133710.thumb.jpg.b68361216c57e85556e8d61100176358.jpg

3. Nevernight Trilogy by Jay Kristoff

A girl whos father was murdered 6 years ago by three of the most powerful men in the republic, goes to a school to train to become an assasin so she can kill them in return 

oh also, she can control shadows

Spoiler

IMG_20220609_132818.thumb.jpg.1daefcb70a8d41b59aeef4cc22f2e73b.jpg

4.The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 

Gay retelling of Trojan War

Spoiler

IMG_20220609_133944.thumb.jpg.295bd2d9c1238bb88f3ef4e94c4028c1.jpg

5. The Secret History by Donna Tartt (I haven't even finished this one yet but I know it's gonna destroy me. In the best possible way, of course. 

Elite students at a university murder someone

Spoiler

IMG_20220609_132932.thumb.jpg.7f37213cab24fa13269161abde74e888.jpg

Allright here are the best books i have ever read. You guys don't have to put photos if you don't want to, of course, haha. I just like to show off these beauties

Edited by Elf

I've got a degree in German Literature, so that has definitely had an influence on my list:

The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson): No need to introduce it haha! Words of Radiance is probably my favorite novel of all time. Just peak story-telling, character-writing, world-building.

The Lord of the Rings (J. R. R. Tolkien): Also no introduction necessary.

The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka): A novella, but a very powerful one. It encapsulates the feeling of depression very well I feel, and it's written with very precise prose. In general, I love Kafka's way of writing. It's very "German", in a way that I can't really explain.

Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky): Already mentioned in this thread, it's huge, it's psychological, it's philosophical, and it's also just a really enjoyable (albeit at times heavy) read because of what a brilliant writer Dostoevsky was.

The City of Dreaming Books (Walter Moers): This is more on the comedic side of things, but also with a lot of references to literature in genereal. I just love the tone of the narrative voice so much. Stunning how many ideas he put into one book, and this wasn't even the only one where he did it (with Rumo being my second favorite, maybe even tied with this one).

Moominland Midwinter (Tove Jansson): Perhaps the most thoroughly melancholic children/YA book I've ever read. Very "Scandinavian" (I mean, it's Finnish), but besides the general winter atmosphere, it also has a lot of heart-warming stuff, as usual with the Moomins.

I've probably missed a few, but these are those that came to mind right now.

All of Brandon's books, but the Stormlight Archive is my favorite of his

The Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo . They're absolutely amazing and I recommend to anyone

The Mortal Instruments and all accompanying prequels and sequels. They don't have the best plot, but the characters and writing style are fun. So is the interconnectedness.

Dark Rise. I'm not sure if it's really a favorite, but it's what's coming to mind and the intrigue is cool

Keeper of the Lost Cities. Character relations and k love triangles are fun. Plot is pretty good

The Work and the Glory. It's about the Church of Jesus Christ is Latter Day Saints's pioneers. The characters and storytelling are amazing.

The Lunar Chronicles. Very fun retelling if fairy tales.

There's more, but I have a habit of thinking all books that I read are the most incredible EVER, so the other ones aren't getting added

Edited by Morningtide

No particular order:

The Lord of the Rings, because duh.  Throw in The Silmarillion while I'm at it, since I still have the entire Finwë family tree memorized and I don't do that for just any series.

The Stormlight Archive - this is my favorite Brando series, so it's the only one I'm going to put in here, though I enjoy all of them.

The Sun Eater series by Christopher Ruocchio, because I will be plugging this until the day I vanish from the Interwebs.  It's sci-fi written as a memoir, by the man who destroyed an entire alien race.  It has some of my favorite prose ever.

And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer by Fredrik Backman is a novella, but if it can make me cry, it's really good.  It's about a grandfather with dementia, and if you've seen my posts about it before, well, it hits close to home, as my grandmother also had dementia and reading this story was very cathartic.

Anne Of Green Gables is probably one of the biggest reasons why I'm interested in historical dress now, and Pride and Prejudice definitely furthered that, and my sappy romantic side too.  (I'm going to read the other Austen books and I'm sure I'm going to really love them, but I have all six in one massive really nice volume and I can't take it places.)  Both of these are also a big reason why I'm interested in history, full stop.

These are the ones that come to mind immediately, though there might be a few more that are really high up there.

6 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Anne Of Green Gables is probably one of the biggest reasons why I'm interested in historical dress now, and Pride and Prejudice definitely furthered that, and my sappy romantic side too.  (I'm going to read the other Austen books and I'm sure I'm going to really love them, but I have all six in one massive really nice volume and I can't take it places.)  Both of these are also a big reason why I'm interested in history, full stop.

Sounds like you could enjoy Downton Abbey - although it's not a book series but television. It's set in the first quarter of the 20th century and the dresses and characters are fantastic. The first 3 seasons are among my favorite things :)

Edited by Elegy

The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Selection Series by Kierra Cass

Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans

Stormlight by You-Know-Who

Three Dark Crowns (and subsequent sequels) by Kendare Blake

Zodiac Series by Romina Russel

Stormlight Archive obviously

51xp9oWitUL._AC_SY780_.jpg.407e76ad0282a4a88b1a9fd7115bcec1.jpg

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny - basic premise is very far into the future a group of astronauts crash land on a hostile alien planet. Using their crashed ships highly advanced tech, they become immortal psychic gods based on the Hindu pantheon and rule over the planet as tyrants. They can reincarnate and change form as they please. After a long time one god who goes playfully as Sam, gets tired of the gods being...well gods. So he acts as Buddha and rises up against them with his comrades. Each chapter takes place thousands of years apart from each other. It's a really good read. 

A1N3rGmCSyL.jpg.09f46f7a48118ae0f4a9d20db37eecd1.jpg

Chronicles of Amber - also by Roger Zelazny. Alternate and infinite universes are nothing new in sci-fi and fantasy. But what was the first world that all other worlds stem from? Amber. It follows the Nine Princes of Amber (but mostly Corwin and his son Merlin) who can travel to infinite parallel universes called Shadows and fight against the Courts of Chaos and themselves. 

A17WqET8DkL.thumb.jpg.58e814f8967b1dfaf6a55799152adba7.jpg

Riverworld by Philip José Farmer. A series about all of humanity (from when they first emerged as homosapians to around the early 21st century) waking up on a massive planet with a giant river running down the middle. Famous historical figures like Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) Alice Hargreaves, Cyrano de Bergerac, Mozart, Tom Mix, Sir Richard Burton and King John of England (to name a few) are all characters in the books. They then have to discover why they are there and who or what resurrected them.

2f62ca554e88abe9c3ba8873386b1b2c--bud-music-books.thumb.jpg.45038a2158eff3beb68844400ee5e60b.jpg

Otherland by Tad Williams. Not too far off into the future, virtual reality is used by corporations and civilians for everything from shopping to meetings, to entertainment. African techie Renie Sulaweyo learns that children are becoming comatose after her brother ends up a victim while visiting a strange VR club. Renie investigates and finds more than she bargained for in a VR entity that almost kills her despite such a thing being impossible. She glimpses a vision of a strange golden city that also looks too real to just be VR. This leads her down a rabbit hole to one of the biggest conspiracies ever, by powerful men with an insidious agenda. There are many characters, like Paul Jonas, a supposed WWI vet trapped in a bizzare world that is reminiscent of fairy tales, !Xabbu an African Bushman who is adept with technology, a boy, Orlando and his best friend Sam who play VRMMOs, and a mysterious old man trapped on a military base named Mister Sellars. 

Edited by Zurvanite

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second the Earthsea suggestion from above, Ursula LeGuin is fantastic in general, but A Wizard of Earthsea and most of the other Earthsea books and stories are superb fantasy. Her Sci-fi is quite good too.

for other books:

Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead are both excellent, the other sequels are decent enough too, but not quite on the same level, IMO.

Catch 22 is another one I find myself coming back to over the years.

I don't think I saw the His Dark Materials series mentioned, but The Golden Compass/The Northern Lights at least probably warrants a place.

Insignia trilogy - WWIII is fought with drones. The main character is recruited, and he has to get a computer installed in his head to control them. It’s a really good sci-fi series and you all should read it. 

Six of Crows - already been mentioned, but it’s way better than the Shadow and Bone trilogy (which was written first and takes place in the same world)

Michael Vey - again, already been mentioned, but I didn’t see a description. A very small number of kids (eight I think) were born with electricity based powers. There’s a school where they are trained, but it appears that the leader’s motives are not all good...

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: the Sistine Chapel of confusion.  It’s incredibly strange. Earth is destroyed to make way for an intergalactic highway, and a man from Earth travels the Galaxy. Nothing makes sense. It’s very fun to read.

The Name of the Wind: this is my favorite non-Sanderson book. A legend tells his story. It cuts between the story and the inn where the story is being told. It made me cry at least three times. The main character grew up with a group of traveling performers and ends up going to the University. It’s really really good. 

Edited by Friendly Cremling
I thought of more

I have a few others I thought of. 

The Night Gardener - light horror(not like terrifying but it gave me some nightmares)/ dark fantasy about a tree that gives.... at a price

Sweep - oliver twist but with an ash golem

moonfleet - this one is a really old adventure story but I loved It and so has my brother, not fantasy

M.R James Ghost stories(I really like the metzotint)

My brother sam is dead. - you will cry

Watership down - awesome worldbuilding with rabbits

• 3 months later...

A Taurus will be moved to cheer for their favorite couples in this famous book from a bygone era because of the gorgeous language, the love, and the wealth of the old moneyed residents of East Egg. Whether you like Jay Gatsby or not, you have to respect his resolve to pursue his goals. When he seeks something that has already been claimed, a difficulty results. This book is the ideal companion for a Taurus because of its grandeur, passion, perseverance, and passion.

Alright let's go

The Raven Cycle/Dreamer Trilogy by Maggie Steifvater (yes i know literally no surprises there but to anyone reading who has not yet read those books PLEASE DO. Elf you are the actual best for introducing me to them, i owe you a great debt.)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Gaiman understands fantasy on a deep level. And this book was just. So good. Funny and fascinating and thrilling and amazing. I read it years ago and i still remember all my feelings about it.)

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (utterly bizzare. I loved it.)

A Wrinkle In Time (this book has a very special place in my heart, especially the graphic novel. It's strange and interesting and deep and i'm sure you've read it before- for school, maybe- but maybe re read it with new eyes because it's really beautiful.)

Facepalm you are most welcome; it's always an amazing feeling to introduce someone to their favourite book/book series. 

Okay let's see what books i can put here now, after so many months 

1. Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden 

2. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Doestovesky

3. Anything by Shakespeare 

4. The Poppy War trilogy by R.F. Kuang (broke my heart in the BEST way ahhh Nehza my love) 

I have updates as well. 

The Raven Cycle/The Dreamer Trilogy

still Six of Crows

still The Work and the Glory

still the Lunar Chronicles

The Scorpio Races (honestly just anything by Maggie Stiefvater)

The Farseer Trilogy

Arc of a Scythe

Harry Potter

The Girl Who Drank the Moon

Edited by Morningtide
I was reminded of another one!