Other images in Stormlight Archive Art

Dalinar Kholin - portrait

My second go at Dalinar, with an "official portrait" sort of feel. The style is based on 19th-century Russian military portraits (one by George Dawe in particular), and I used Polynesian, East Asian and Middle Eastern faces as references, to hopefully decently represent an Alethi as described in the books. This is my first time creating a portrait that's not directly referenced from an existing person, and it was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to continue with SA art, maybe expanding to characters other than my fave tight-butt Kholin (I'd love to tackle characters like Teft. Navani and Jasnah someday).

Critique is totally welcome, I'm an amateur still refining and figuring things out! 



28

18 Comments

Words cannot even describe how perfectly this captures Dalinar, everything from the facial expression, to that formal style portrait look is just so Dalinar.

2

Share this comment


Link to comment

 

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Words cannot even describe how perfectly this captures Dalinar, everything from the facial expression, to that formal style portrait look is just so Dalinar.

That's such high praise, thank you :wub:

4 hours ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

This is exquisite. 10/10 would commission for my officers again.

Thanks! Maybe more Kholin portraits will be coming in the future.

4

Share this comment


Link to comment
17 minutes ago, ponpon123 said:

That's such high praise, thank you :wub:

You're very welcome, the praise is well earned.

2

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is extremely well done. I love the detail. It looks almost exactly like an oil painting. The dull background, uniform and pose all just scream "DALINAR." 

11/10

2

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

This is extremely well done. I love the detail. It looks almost exactly like an oil painting. The dull background, uniform and pose all just scream "DALINAR." 

11/10

Thanks a lot, that's what I was going for so I'm glad you think so :)

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Ark1002

Posted

This is great.

Now if you could just do Shallan, that'd be great

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
ponpon123

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, RayOfSunshine said:

This is great.

Now if you could just do Shallan, that'd be great

Thanks! I'm probably going to focus on the Kholins and/or side characters for the time being, but others definitely aren't being ruled out! Honestly I'm gonna have a hard time even moving away from Dalinar haha.

Edited by ponpon123
1

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is amazing and just so spot on. Coolest thing I've seen today, bravo. Please do more of these, you are so skilled!

3

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is amazing art. I like the detail on the facial wrinkles and the scars, especially the scar running all the way down his face. Very well done, and incredibly realistic.

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
22 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

This is amazing and just so spot on. Coolest thing I've seen today, bravo. Please do more of these, you are so skilled!

 

36 minutes ago, Invocation said:

This is amazing art. I like the detail on the facial wrinkles and the scars, especially the scar running all the way down his face. Very well done, and incredibly realistic.

Thank you so much! Your comments are definitely going to encourage me to attempt more things <3

2

Share this comment


Link to comment

I'm sorry, did you say you were an amateur? :o This is easily something I could imagine in a gallery.

1

Share this comment


Link to comment

10/10? 11/10? Nah. This is more like 10000000/10! Not even joking though, this is some seriously good art, probably some of the best I’ve ever seen!!

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 hours ago, Slowswift said:

I'm sorry, did you say you were an amateur? :o This is easily something I could imagine in a gallery.

You're much too kind. I have lots I'm not confident in and can't do yet, I'm just good at hiding it xD

17 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

10/10? 11/10? Nah. This is more like 10000000/10! Not even joking though, this is some seriously good art, probably some of the best I’ve ever seen!!

Thank you!! I'm happy you like it!

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Ark1002

Posted

On 8/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, ponpon123 said:

Thanks! I'm probably going to focus on the Kholins and/or side characters for the time being, but others definitely aren't being ruled out! Honestly I'm gonna have a hard time even moving away from Dalinar haha.

*mildly outraged expression*

Shallan, for your information, is a KHOLIN

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 2019. 8. 30. at 11:23 PM, RayOfSunshine said:

*mildly outraged expression*

Shallan, for your information, is a KHOLIN

ahhh that's true, I don't know why it slipped my mind! The OG Kholins then, I'll say. Honestly, the main reason I can't see myself doing much Shallan art is because there's lots of good ones of her already, while Dalinar, for example, I couldn't find much that matched how I picture him. I'm hoping I can do Stormlight art long term though so I might branch out! 

0

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now