2016-11-22 [Arcanum Unbounded] BYU Bookstore - Provo, UT

Lightning

59 minutes ago, Viridian said:

Not a game-changer, but interesting to me:

I asked why Hoid gave the memory coin to Wax, what his motivation was (since it seemed to cast a more positive light on someone Hoid does not like), and Brandon said he did it to correct a lie that was being perpetuated. I said that I was still suspicious of Hoid, to which he said I should be, as those two (Hoid and Kelsier) do not get along. He said that the memory uncovered a truth that Kelsier did not want to be known.

Hmmm, I guess Kelsier despite being an arrogant bastard whose grandiosity knows no bounds, really did want the LR (or somebody who wasn't him, but there aren't many Fullborn around for some reason) to have the credit. Heh.

*sigh* So much in BoM is just super strange, especially considering that revel in SH...

On 11/25/2016 at 6:03 PM, Kandra-in-disguise said:

Hmmm, I guess Kelsier despite being an arrogant bastard whose grandiosity knows no bounds, really did want the LR (or somebody who wasn't him, but there aren't many Fullborn around for some reason) to have the credit. Heh.

*sigh* So much in BoM is just super strange, especially considering that revel in SH...

BoM spoilers: 

Spoiler

Possibly the secret that Hoid divulged is that Kelsier is still around in the first place.

EDIT: Apologies, for some reason I thought this had the same rules as Cosmere Theories.  My fault entirely.  

Edited by Landis963

1 hour ago, AnanasSpren said:

Well...IIRC, the events are fair game given the sometimes cosmere heavy questions and WoBs received, with the exception of the spoiler limitations on new books

Better safe than sorry.  Better keep the unbridled spoilers to places specifically designed for them, such as Cosmere Theories.  

On 11/23/2016 at 1:35 PM, Argent said:

That's extra interesting. In retrospect, it's not, but I had it in my mind (for no good reason) that Vasher had come to Roshar chasing Nightblood. A lot more pieces fall in place if we know that they had arrived together however.

Welp. Put on your tinfoil hates, folks, it's time to let the borderline insane theories out of the box!

Good questions, @valerieofavonlea, and good answers.

I keep coming back to Stormform.  First, Eshonai is clearly being controlled by something.  Second, the red spren went into her chest, which as I recall is a Hemalurgic binding point.  We know that spren can turn into metal, so why not a spike to drive the transformation?

6 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

Well...IIRC, the events are fair game given the sometimes cosmere heavy questions and WoBs received, with the exception of the spoiler limitations on new books

5 hours ago, Landis963 said:

Better safe than sorry.  Better keep the unbridled spoilers to places specifically designed for them, such as Cosmere Theories.  

Yeah, better safe than sorry. Also keep in mind that until AU, Secret History was only available as an ebook, so anyone who doesn't have an e-reader of some kind will probably be reading it for the first time in Arcanum Unbounded.

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

That was more of a BoM spoiler though, and that board was merged with the regular one a week or so ago. I thought that meant we didn't have to hide spoilers for BoM once the boards were merged?

In their respective subforums, yes, but outside, no. Still, it can be difficult with the Events boards with certain questions so be careful. 

On November 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Djarskublar said:

Okay, so I took video of the speech, Q&A, and reading. I will post the first two, and wait for admin okay on the third. It's on my phone, but I'm not sure how to upload them. They are over 5 gig total with just the first two, and it was uploading really slowly from my phone. After an hour, it is maybe 1/20th done. Any advice on how to get it to finish sometime this week?

Just out of curiosity, did the admins say nay on posting that reading? If so, could we maybe get a few throwaway details from it? 

Some crumbs? A bone? A third-of-a-gopher? 

Well, I talked with @zas678 at the signing, and he said it was up to team Brandon. I don't know where or how to get the okay on that, so I'm basically leaving it to admin.

As to content of the reading, it was Kal's army days. It was basically that he is with Tarah or whatever her name is. She tells him she is leaving him because of work and family reasons, and so as far as we know, she is alive. 

Me and Peng were at the front row. He was the closest person to Brandon during the whole deal. At the end of it, he passed the bit of draft to the guy in the other side of the aisle. If it had been in his other hand, one of us might have gotten it >( oh well.

Still working on posting the readings. With holiday stuff going on this past week it has been too busy to sit down and figure it out.

Thank you so much for sharing what you can, Djarskublar. Would never want to pressure you into posting something if it's not OK with team Sanderson. 

O, poor young Kaladin. His suffering are such sweet manna to my soul.

That probably sounds very wrong.

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Brgst13 said:

I keep coming back to Stormform.  First, Eshonai is clearly being controlled by something.  Second, the red spren went into her chest, which as I recall is a Hemalurgic binding point.  We know that spren can turn into metal, so why not a spike to drive the transformation?

My only issue with that is Brandon's constant insistence and focus on Stormlight being a standalone epic as well as part of the Cosmere. I doubt he'd have the current big threat secretly powered by a magic system from elsewhere in the Cosmere...

And curses! Twice RAFO'd on spren being affected by emotional allomancy.... there goes like three theories on fighting Surgebinders until we know more TT^TT

5 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

My only issue with that is Brandon's constant insistence and focus on Stormlight being a standalone epic as well as part of the Cosmere. I doubt he'd have the current big threat secretly powered by a magic system from elsewhere in the Cosmere...

This is easily solved by having Brandon re-introduce some concepts. I imagine that's how Nightblood will be (re)revealed.

This is paraphrased, as I had no recorder.

1) Whim: When Harmony ascended, I think he said he had trouble seeing what was going on in the Spiritual realm. Does he get better at this?

Brandon: He does. Also it's important to note that the Spiritual Realm is not the Beyond.

2) Whim: At the beginning of WoK, Kaladin is annoyed by a mischievous wind spren, but not particularly shocked. Are personality quirks common to specific types of spren?

Brandon: Yes, although you'll see those quirks more common in elemental spren than in emotional spren.

3) Whim: When a Threnodite shade ruins silver, is that a natural, physical process, like a chemical reaction resulting in silver phosphate, or is the silver actually transmuted into something no longer silver?

Brandon: RAFO

6 minutes ago, Whim said:

Brandon: Yes, although you'll see those quirks more common in elemental spren than in emotional spren.

I think that's a good way to differentiate between the spren we've seen. Somebody a while back noticed that spren tied to emotions manifest differently from elemental (though at the time we didn't have a good word for it, I think) spren. I don't remember what the distinction was though... 

Still, I like official terminology!

On 11/25/2016 at 3:39 PM, Viridian said:

Not a game-changer, but interesting to me:

I asked why Hoid gave the memory coin to Wax, what his motivation was (since it seemed to cast a more positive light on someone Hoid does not like), and Brandon said he did it to correct a lie that was being perpetuated. I said that I was still suspicious of Hoid, to which he said I should be, as those two (Hoid and Kelsier) do not get along. He said that the memory uncovered a truth that Kelsier did not want to be known.

Yes, I definitely feel that Kel would NOT want people to know that 

Spoiler

He is alive and around.

Knowledge is power, and Kel, more than anyone, knows the power in another secret.

6 hours ago, Argent said:

I think that's a good way to differentiate between the spren we've seen. Somebody a while back noticed that spren tied to emotions manifest differently from elemental (though at the time we didn't have a good word for it, I think) spren. I don't remember what the distinction was though... 

Still, I like official terminology!

As a matter of fact, we already have an official term for spren that aren't emotionspren or voidspren. In WoR, Jasnah used "naturespren".

Maybe "elementalspren" is supposed to include voidish naturespren or something. Well, it is just a paraphrased WoB, after all.

1 hour ago, Zmann966 said:

Yes, I definitely feel that Kel would NOT want people to know that 

Reveal hidden contents

He is alive and around.

Knowledge is power, and Kel, more than anyone, knows the power in another secret.

I agree, and that makes sense....But

unless there has been a shift in character (which is possible, I suppose), why would Kel not want to take credit for his achievements? His arrogance has been predominant, as far as we've seen from Kelsier. Why would he let people think someone else is responsible for what he's done?

That's the part I can't reconcile. Not that there aren't good reasons for keeping this secret - there are - but they require a lot of deliberate action and caution, and, well, modesty, none of which are this particular character's strengths. 

1 minute ago, Viridian said:

I agree, and that makes sense....But

Hide contents

unless there has been a shift in character (which is possible, I suppose), why would Kel not want to take credit for his achievements? His arrogance has been predominant, as far as we've seen from Kelsier. Why would he let people think someone else is responsible for what he's done?

That's the part I can't reconcile. Not that there aren't good reasons for keeping this secret - there are - but they require a lot of deliberate action and caution, and, well, modesty, none of which are this particular character's strengths. 

I think maybe he has met people and seen things that would have him err on the side of caution in cases like this. He knows what he is doing, and I assume has interacted with people who have provided insight to his... current state. 

Regardless, 

Spoiler

340-ish years can bring about some major changes.

Spoiler

If he wasn't planning to take the credit he wouldn't have used spear imagery, the concept of Survival, and hidden his scars because those things would have made it suspicious by themselves and obvious together. If he was hiding his identity (BIG if) he would also likely have not picked someone he loathed to give this kind of accomplishment to. Also, if the intent was to hide the Sovereign's real identity, he would not have made copperminds to glorify his accomplishments. If he did he would have been far more careful with what those copperminds gave away.

A compromise could be that he did take credit, but had his own plans for the North finding out. Maybe he made his name a taboo among the Southerners. His scars are hidden on his statue, which held a prize for both peoples. He likely found it better for his return to be unknown in the north. It gave him a certain amount of freedom to act. Being 'dead' puts him above suspicion.

By revealing the truth earlier than Kell intended, Hoid has likely prevented Kelsier from manipulating North/South relations in the way Kell wanted.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't know where to put this... so I guess I'll put it here! I got some interesting information from the release party of Arcanum Unbounded, both from the Q&A and when my friends talked to him. (I get flustered, okay?!) I don't have specific wording but I did take notes so it's all pretty much straight from the source. 

Cosmere and general stuff, then Mistborn stuff, then Stormlight (sorry, couldn't get the spoiler tags to work quite like I wanted.)

Regarding the movie options: Sanderson has high hopes, and will try to get a PG-13 rating as much as he can (because we all know it's not going to be PG.) If the movies are bad, they'll pull more people into the Sanderson craziness and we'll have more people to complain with.

Some things in the cosmere, such as if there really is a God as we think of it and whether there is life after death, will never be answered.

It is possible to travel back in time. I think the exact words went more or less like: "Nobody has managed to travel backwards in time yet."

The 17th Shard is about nonintervention, but they're not doing so great a job, seeing as they took the common cold to Roshar. 

We have seen Hemalurgy (obliquely) on planets that are not Scadrial.

The "how-did-Vasher-get-to-Roshar" thing will be explained. For now, we know that Vasher got tired of "sucking souls" and, through previous study with a group of scholars, knew how easy it was to get Investiture on Roshar (same way he knew what a Shardblade was so he could try to replicate it (and we all know how that turned out: Nightblood)). With this same group of scholars, he figured out how to get into the Cognitive realm.

Some people pre-Lord Ruler were cosmere aware.

In the Jak story in the broadsheet of Bands of Mourning, he mentions a white-haired young storyteller. Confirmation: this is Hoid. There are some clues as to what he's doing in that story, but it might get a little warped because Jak has a high opinion of himself, but his steward who's writing the story not so much.

The myth Hoid tells in Words of Radiance is referencing how worldhopping works.

There was an alternate scene for Lopen and his family at the end of WoR where they convince Elhokar to abdicate in favor of Lopen for fifteen minutes. This way, if people asked if the king was there, they didn't have to lie. Apparently Lopen references this, that he was king, later on. 

Edited by Ookla the Orange
spoiler tags are hard

21 minutes ago, Ookla the Orange said:

I don't know where to put this... so I guess I'll put it here! I got some interesting information from the release party of Arcanum Unbounded, both from the Q&A and when my friends talked to him. (I get flustered, okay?!) I don't have specific wording but I did take notes so it's all pretty much straight from the source. 

Cosmere and general stuff, then Mistborn stuff, then Stormlight (sorry, couldn't get the spoiler tags to work quite like I wanted.)

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

*Mod hat*

Merging over from General forum, per policy.

I also managed to mess up what got merged where initially, which had a side-effect of wiping out the Following of the original signing thread. Sorry about that. :/