Cosmere 101

Zas678

Maybe. This is the quote we have from Brandon:

17S Does Aona = Love or Compassion?

BS: "You have it, it's just a synonym there. You basically have it"

17S Does Skai = Devotion or Order?

BS: "You're not on there. But you are on on the first one [Aona]."

Definitely, especially since my guide is taking forever. Great work, Zas.

speaking of your guide, when you get that up, do we want them both up here as two separate topics, or should we merge 'em? I know, basically, they're going to be the same subject content, but i didn't know if they needed distinction

It'll probably displace this topic, but I dunno.

@Silus - Don't be ridiculous. It's going in the guide, confirmed or not. Any other possibility is unnecessarily convoluted at this point.

@lordofsoup - I do not believe Aona is Relief, for a variety of reasons. There are a number of theoretical considerations to take into account. It was theorized to be Relief on TWG, but it isn't a basic enough Intent for a Shard.

I don't know Chaos, Silus has a point. All we know is that Rayse has the most dangerous Shard and that whoever has Odium killed the Almighty.

I guess. I suppose you have a point.

However, everything is pointed to Odium, the True Desolation, the Everstorm. The weight the Almighty puts into this is certainly deserving of "most dangerous Shard".

Plus, did Brandon ever say Odium went to Sel? If he explicitly stated this, then there's no more debate and Rayse = Odium.

also, the voice in Kaladin's dream/vision called Odium "most dangerous of all the sixteen".

Oh, right, duh. There you have it. That settles the matter for me unequivocally. (Also, I upvoted you Rioter for that)

You mind if I mirror this on the Wiki?

Sure! Go ahead.

And I don't care if it is here with Chaos's Epic Post, or if it is displaced by it. I just thought it would be nice to have some basics for those who don't know what the cosmere is.

So, I didn't know exactly where to post this and it didn't really seem worthy of its own thread but I was wondering, how do you think Brandon will handle the "big revelations" of the cosmere in terms of casual readers who may or may not ever read more than a few of his books.

I mean, say you were reading a Mistborn book in the third set of trilogies. You have only ever read Mistborn books by Sanderson and you have never looked at forums like these. You will have no idea about Seventeenth Shard or Odium or Endowment. So what happens if Rayse comes to Scadrial to try to kill Sazed and you are like, "What? Who the hell is Rayse?!".

Obviously he wouldn't do it just like that, but how would he do it? Like I said, didn't think it was worth its own thread, but it might be.

I think he'll continue to be very subtle about the cosmere. For example, in (assumed) Hoid's letter, ninstead of saying "Ruin used to be a nice guy", which throws MB readers for a loop, he says "Ati used to be a nice guy", which may alert those who are paying close attention.

So I think he'll do his best to be subtle about it, so it doesn't confuse the casual reader. He'll definately try to put in hints (like Adonalsium's name in WoK), but it will be like a door, where it isn't needed, but can deepen the work.

I've often wondered about this myself. I see two possibilities.

1) Mistborn becomes the series that ties the other series together. The third trilogy will (according to interviews) feature an extremely scientifically advanced Scadrial, with space ships and who knows what else. This seems like good way to tie everything together. Downside would be that it doesn't really change the "Who the hell are these guys" reaction you predicted.

2) Brandon will make a new series that features Adonalsium/Hoid/17th Shard as its primary conflicts/characters/organizations. We already know he has plans for books featuring Hoid, presumably from before the shattering, so this seems likely. This also ensures that no reader needs to know about Adonalsium in order to enjoy his other books. But once they read this Adonalsium series reading his other books suddenly becomes more awesome.

That's what I think anyway.

I've often wondered about this myself. I see two possibilities.

1) Mistborn becomes the series that ties the other series together. The third trilogy will (according to interviews) feature an extremely scientifically advanced Scadrial, with space ships and who knows what else. This seems like good way to tie everything together. Downside would be that it doesn't really change the "Who the hell are these guys" reaction you predicted.

2) Brandon will make a new series that features Adonalsium/Hoid/17th Shard as its primary conflicts/characters/organizations. We already know he has plans for books featuring Hoid, presumably from before the shattering, so this seems likely. This also ensures that no reader needs to know about Adonalsium in order to enjoy his other books. But once they read this Adonalsium series reading his other books suddenly becomes more awesome.

That's what I think anyway.

Actually, if Scadrial gets spaceships, they can travel around and slowly learn about the cosmere. there will still be a "who are they," but it won't be a problem because the characters would be just as confused as the readers.

Very true. Thanks guys. I was just reading through Warbreaker and forgot that Hoid was the guy who told Siri the story. When she asks where he learned it he says, "I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn't know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died."

I just thought this was really interesting and goes along with the whole guide thing. I'm just really curious who "the man who didn't know who he was" is. Interesting description. Also, "a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died".... Shadesmar??? I don't know. Just thought the whole thing was interesting because I didn't even know the Cosmere existed when I read Warbreaker.