Gavilar's "crystalline sphere"

taxilian

At the end of the prologue to the Way of Kings, Gavilar gives Szeth a "crystalline sphere" which Szeth then hides and only mentions once in passing later on in the book.  I don't remember any mention of it at all in Words of Radiance; is there anything else known about it? Did I miss something? Or are we still waiting?

I was thinking that it might be one of the Dawn Shards, though there is lots of speculation going around which casts doubt on that. I thought that there was more than one of those dark crystals mentioned, but I can't remember where the other one was referenced. It might be a figment of my imagination.

I seem to remember the Ghostbloods (or one of the secret societies, I forgot who) mentioning the dark sphere in passing, but saying that it didn't matter anymore.

I assumed this to be, that the sphere Gavilar had would bring back the desolation, or was a spren a Listener(parshendi) needed to take smoke-form or something. But now that spren were bonding people again, the voidbringers were coming back. 

I had a theory... somewhere a while back... that this is what I called a voidsphere - a gem, perhaps not one of the ten standard ones, that holds a voidspren. This was all when we only had The Way of Kings to work with, but I I don't see a reason to discard the idea. We know that:

• Gavilar wanted to bring the Parshendi gods back - it's why he was assassinated; he mistakenly thought that Parshendi would be excited about the idea... 
  • gems can hold spren
  • specific gems are required for specific spren
  • there are spren of Honor, Cultivation, Adonalsium, and a mix of the first two
  • as of Words of Radiance, we know that there are voidspren - which, in all likelihood, are spren of Odium, his Splinters.

So that's what I'll continue rooting for. Gavilar, somehow, came into possession of a sphere that held one of the voidspren - perhaps even a special type, maybe even one of the Parshendi gods (my assumption here is that they are really powerful spren or the Unmade, but it's a flimsy assumption). He shared the idea with the Parshendi sometime during the feast or a little before it, and the Five felt that they needed to act quickly and remove the possibility. 

What I am still bothered by is why they told Szeth nothing about this. If they were worried about Gavilar using the voidsphere somehow, why didn't they instruct Szeth to bring it to them if he found it somewhere? I realize that it was highly unlikely that Gavilar would just hand it to his assassin, but I would've said something like "kill Gavilar and if you stumbled upon a sphere that glows with black light, bring it to us." Or toss it in the ocean or something. 

Gavilar might not have told the Parshendi about the sphere. He could've just laid out his over all plan (i.e. bring back the Parshendi gods) without telling them what he already accomplished. That would be the smart thing to do in that situation. You have to keep some things secret when dealing with strangers, even those you consider as possible allies.

Edited by skaa

So that's what I'll continue rooting for. Gavilar, somehow, came into possession of a sphere that held one of the voidspren - perhaps even a special type, maybe even one of the Parshendi gods (my assumption here is that they are really powerful spren or the Unmade, but it's a flimsy assumption). He shared the idea with the Parshendi sometime during the feast or a little before it, and the Five felt that they needed to act quickly and remove the possibility. 

this was my take. the way that the sphere with the spren eshonai has to become storm form is described similarly as gavilar's sphere.

I found it interesting that Szeth hid the Sphere in Jah Keved, and the surprise Taravangian felt regarding the strength of the Thrill in Jah Keved. I also noted that Taravangian believed that the voidspren that causes the Thrill had previously been located in Alethkar. This could be coincidence of course, but I'm beginning to find coincidences difficult to dismiss these days.

I found it interesting that Szeth hid the Sphere in Jah Keved, and the surprise Taravangian felt regarding the strength of the Thrill in Jah Keved. I also noted that Taravangian believed that the voidspren that causes the Thrill had previously been located in Alethkar. This could be coincidence of course, but I'm beginning to find coincidences difficult to dismiss these days.

Hahaha I've stopped dismissing anything in these books :)

Hmm, this is interesting. I had been under the impression that the Unmade are free to move around, but maybe at least some of them are trapped in similar voidspheres. And it fits my idea that it is the Unmade who are the Parshendi gods.

“The Parshendi? That makes no sense.” Gavilar coughed, hand quivering, reaching toward his chest and fumbling at a pocket. He pulled out a small crystalline sphere tied to a chain. “You must take this. They must not get it.” He seemed dazed. “Tell…tell my brother…he must find the most important words a man can say….”

Gavilar fell still.

Szeth hesitated, then knelt down and took the sphere. It was odd, unlike any he’d seen before. Though it was completely dark, it seemed to glow somehow. With a light that was black.”

Excerpt From: Brandon Sanderson. “The Way of Kings.”

“They bid him farewell, ignoring his broad hints that another cup of beer would prompt him to tell his greatest tale: that of the time when he’d seen the Nightwatcher herself and stolen a sphere that glowed black at night. That tale always discomforted Szeth, as it reminded him of the strange black sphere Gavilar had given him. He’d hidden that carefully in Jah Keved. He didn’t know what it was, but he didn’t want to risk a master taking it from him.”

Excerpt From: Brandon Sanderson. “The Way of Kings.”

“The Thrill?” he whispered to Adrotagia as they left the latest group of men. “They fought through the night as their capital burned. It must have been in force.”

“I agree,” she said. “It gives us a further reference point. The Thrill is at least as strong here as it is in Alethkar. Maybe stronger. I will speak to our scholars. Perhaps this will help pinpoint Nergaoul.”

“Do not spend too much effort on that,” Taravangian said, approaching another group of Veden soldiers. “I’m not sure what we would even do if we found the thing.” An ancient, evil spren was not something he had the resources to tackle.”

Excerpt From: Brandon Sanderson. “Stormlight 2: Words of Radiance.”

This theory seems a little further out than many I can think of, but I'm definitely not ready to rule it out.  If the black sphere somehow holds Nergaoul then it might explain that coincidence.  On the other hand, if that's the case then it's been in Jah Kaved for over 10 years and it only just at the end of Words of Radiance seems like it's starting to fade; of course, that could be the influence of the radiants or something else.  The shattered plains are on the opposite side of Alethkar from Jah Kaved, so you'd think that if would be more noticeable if it moved.  Also, Taravangian seems to be at least somewhat in kahoots or possibly even leading Gavilar's old group -- this is definitely supposition, but there is a strong connection at any rate through Gavilar -- so it seems likely that he would have known that Gavilar had it.

Interesting thoughts.

This is on my list of questions for Brandon at a singing I'm attending in 2 weeks.  What is the stone Gavilar gave Szeth?   I couldn't find anything here if someone already asked him so if it has already be documented someone pro let me know :)

This is on my list of questions for Brandon at a singing I'm attending in 2 weeks.  What is the stone Gavilar gave Szeth?   I couldn't find anything here if someone already asked him so if it has already be documented someone pro let me know :)

You realise you're almost definitely going to get RAFO'd on this one, don't you?

On topic, black light doesn't seem all that natural. I'm just going to assume it's connected to Odium somehow and wait for further details

Dalinaut if you're going to ask such an obvious RAFO question why not shape the question a little. 

like "Does Taravangian know/want the dark sphere of Gavilar?"

"Does Nalan's sword dark aura have connection to the dark sphere aura?"

or "Does the dark sphere contain Nergaoul(or spren)?"

With Sanderson you can't ask direct major plot question you need subtlety ;)

Nalan's Sword appears to be Nightblood from Warbreaker or another result of the same process. So if there is such a connection then the sphere is probably not directly associated with Odium.

Also, if Nergaoul was in the sphere it apparently broke. Adolin didn't feel the Thrill at all once the Everstorm song began.

Speaking of which, the Voidlight sphere theory seems to be dead. Apparently it's red, not black, because that's the color of the lightning and Stormform's eyes when glowing.

Edited by name_here

We are led to believe that Odium is bound to Roshar (or Roshar's system) and is unable to move on.  My instincts tell me that the sphere is either what has bound Odium from leaving, or has enough of his power bound into it that he is unwilling to leave without it.

I think there has to be a link between Odium and this sphere - due to the link between the Listener's gods (surely Odium and his spren) and that Gavilar had a way to bring them back.

I don't have much in the way of evidence for it, but it appears to make sense to me.  Either way, I'm certain it will become the proverbial MacGuffin in the next book (or a future one).

Edited by Caidhe

Nalan's Sword appears to be Nightblood from Warbreaker or another result of the same process. So if there is such a connection then the sphere is probably not directly associated with Odium.

The sword that Nalan gives to Szeth at the end is absolutely Nightblood; I don't think there is even any reasonable room for doubt in this.

Evidence:

• Brandon has told people that we will eventually find out what happens when Nightblood strikes a shardblade
  • Vasher (as Zahel) is on Roshar, and he has lost Nightblood. (See Interlude-6; cranky swordsman with lifesense: all his analogies relate to colors, and he mentions being really really old.  Also, Peter has reportedly confirmed that it's Vasher.  For proof that he's lost nightblood, take the fact that he doesn't seem to have it and add that as he goes to sleep he's expecting to hear a voice in his head, but [hasn't heard it] for years.)

Also, if Nergaoul was in the sphere it apparently broke. Adolin didn't feel the Thrill at all once the Everstorm song began.

Adolin specifically mentions that he can see the Thrill in Eshonai's eyes and uses its effects to distract her while he maneuvers her towards the edge, allowing him to defeat her by knocking her into the Chasm. Thus, the Thrill is still around, but for some reason isn't affecting Adolin anymore.

Edited by taxilian

Right, I'm thinking that once the Everstorm started, the Unmade woke up/got loose, so their side effects like the Thrill stopped affecting humans. Alternately, the source is moving very, very quickly elsewhere but Stormform produces the same effects.

Edited by name_here

From the second Letter:

The sphere might be even more important, if it is the main thing Hoid is searching for, as this implies.

I thought it was regarding the line from Hoids part of the letter

"Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say."

this is what lost me.

I'm somewhat confident the gemstone reference in the second letter is referring to the time Hoid named himself after a rock that "became completely worthless" because he wore the name.  The other lines from that section of the letter refer to him naming himself Hoid after his old master and his current alias of Wit, so this is (probably) unrelated to the black crystal.

Also worth considering (when talking about the possibility that a voidspren was/is in the crystal) is that the Eshonai indicates that they learned that it's possible to capture a spren in a gemstone from the humans