Long Game 26: Cognitive Dissonance

Nyali

Night 6 - The Revenge of Elantris

Daniyah stood before the mob and looked around, anxiously. She was backed into a corner, and there was nowhere to run. "Look, you have the wrong woman," she said with a nervous shake in her voice.

"We know you did it, Daniyah," said Ashton, cornering her. "There's no use denying it," said Ashlyn, coming up on her other side. The crowd behind them closed in menacingly.

"Okay, okay!" said Daniyah. "Fine! I'll confess!" she threw up her hands as if to wave them back a step or two. "Yes, I did it, and I'm not sorry. I took it, and I'm not giving it back." The crowd paused.

"Took what?" asked Ashton, looking confused.

"Err, the last piece of candy in the jar. The one you were saving. ... that is what this is about, isn't it?" Daniyah asked, eyeing the weapons held by the amassed Worldhoppers.

"Umm, no," replied Ashlyn, with a strange look on her face. "This is about the assault on Elantris. You know, the city over there with the giant hole in the wall?"

Daniyah blinked. "Umm, I don't know anything about that," she insisted, eyeing the blackened battlefield near the city.

"Then what were you doing on Sel?" Ashlyn asked, striding forward to stand just in front of Daniyah. Daniyah tried to take a step back, but she was already against the wall.

"I kind of live here?" Daniyah replied, gesturing around. "And I had some things to do. Nothing that really concerns you. Nothing you need to worry about. Like, you know, shopping for more candy."

Daniyah fished through her pockets, looking for something. "Look," she said, taking out a pair of objects and holding them out, "I can give you back the candy, and another piece I picked up in..."

"This isn't about the candy!" Ashlyn shouted, interrupting her.

"You know," said a man as he pushed through the crowd, "If we kill her, we can have our young bard over here identify her corpse. And then we can steal all of her candy."

Ashton considered this. "Who are you to suggest such a drastic course of action?" he asked.

"Dr. Idem Occulta at your service," the man said, "and 'drastic' is my middle name!"

"Really?" said Ashlyn, looking unconvinced.

"Well, no, but it sounded good, didn't it? In any case, shall we?" Idem asked with a grin. He, Ashton, and Ashlyn turned back to Daniyah and each drew a weapon.

"Wait, wait, wait! If you're going to kill me anyway, let me say something first!" Daniyah said. The crowd halted and she drew a deep breath. "I'm... actually trying to kill you all." She breathed a sigh of relief. "There we go, I've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while. It's so nice to be able to actually say it. I am trying to kill you all." She smiled then, relieved to be finally honest with all of them. As the crowd closed in around her, she popped the candies into her mouth. She didn't enjoy them long.

Final Vote Tally

Daniyah (3): Burnt, Paranoid King, Doctor12

Lopen (1): Dalinar

Dalinar Kholin (1): Lopen

Daniyah has been lynched!

Night 6 has begun and will last 48 hours.
gra_1475978400.png

Player List

Magestar (Magestar)

The Healer (Doctor12)

Daniyah (Daniyah)

Lorien the Rithmatist (Conquestor)

Stick (I_am_a_Stick)

Jonly the Terrisman (The Only Joe)

NeLaar (Arraenae)

Spike (Paranoid King)

Ryth (Silverblade5)

Riza (Frozen Mint)

Ecthelion (Ecthelion III)

Kyla (Little Wilson)

The Young Bard (The Young Bard)

Ashton & Ashlyn (Burnt Spaghetti)

Brandon Sanderson (Darkness Ascendant)

Aralis (Araris Valerian)

Dr. Idem Occulta (Wonko the Sane)

Kelen Taldar (AliasSheep)

Gladium Paleas (Straw)

Victor (Amanuensis)

Bugsy (Bugsy6912)

Locke (OrlokTsubodai)

Dowanx (Dowanx)

Tom (Sart)

Kaloo (TheMightyLopen)

Unknown (Mark IV)

mmhmmnmhmm (LivingLegend)

Cy Lon (Clanky)

Emrys Morge (Bridge Boy)

Reginald Canuck (Dalinar Kholin)

Orik Ironfist (Haelbarde)

Lily (Luckat)

Odin (Stink)

Edited by Nyali

I'm tempted to just reveal it, since I can technically give away one role I learn without failing my third goal (not that I really care about failing or not at this point, but like I said earlier, I don't want to fight against the GM's intent). I would recommend that Bard not bother though. And that if Bard wants to get his win con for scanning someone from every alignment, we really need to kill an Independent soon.

Oops. Sorry! Can topics be edited? I meant to say Night 6. Sorry, rollover is late at night, because it needs to be after baby bedtime, and I'm often kinda out of it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how.

Edited by Nyali

Again, if you can use Sand Mastery or you can use the collaborate action, I would appreciate someone coming to Taldain.

@Sart How are you doing with that goal of yours. I'll have spare actions, I think, next cycle, if you wanted to come to Taldain.

Edited by Haelbarde

I can happily confirm that Dani was indeed the one to attack Elantris :D (phew. Would have been awkward if i was wrong). Thanks to those who helped me with that!

As to how i came to that conclusion Aman, well, for the most part its because i didnt know of many other native Selish players. And i knew she wasnt Elantrian. And she was the only non elantrial selish player i didnt know if i could trust.

9 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

Again, if you can use Sand Mastery or you can use the collaborate action, I would appreciate someone coming to Taldain.

@Sart How are you doing with that goal of yours. I'll have spare actions, I think, next cycle, if you wanted to come to Taldain.

I will come to Taladin.

Orlok is with me on Sel - I have no idea where Conq is, which probably means he's on Nalthis, which I think is the only planet I still haven't visited.

Daniyah's on my planet, so I'd be happy to scan her (and Bugsy at the same time). I don't really have anything more important to do with my actions until an Independent dies, so it's not really a problem.

1 hour ago, The Young Bard said:

Orlok is with me on Sel - I have no idea where Conq is, which probably means he's on Nalthis, which I think is the only planet I still haven't visited.

Daniyah's on my planet, so I'd be happy to scan her (and Bugsy at the same time). I don't really have anything more important to do with my actions until an Independent dies, so it's not really a problem.

Go for it, it might help us out somehow.

And to those who use Surgebinding, I will have thee all know, that I have gained a mastery of Stormlight! From here on forward, every cycle you will get extra investiture from yours truly! YAY!

Day 7 - Science!

Being on watch is never fun, but tonight was particularly uneventful for the man seated at the fire. He stretched and looked around. Nope, still no one. He stifled a yawn.

"I would like to speak with you about transformative cognitive entities," said a voice.

The man sprang to his feet and whirled to face a cloaked figure that had not been there a moment before. He stopped and registered what the voice had asked him. "Wait, what? Transformative..."

"Transformative cognitive entities. I believe the local word for them is 'Spren.' I wanted to ask you about the bond you formed with one."

The man felt a chill. Who was this figure questioning him this way? "Tell me who you are and how you know about... about the bond," he demanded as he raised his spear menacingly.

"Oh, put that down, I'm harmless," said his questioner as he waved dismissively with his hand. "Think of me as one of those... what's the local word for them? Ardents. Yes, think of me as an Ardent. I'm just here to gather knowledge, not tell anyone anything they don't need to know. Now, you are bonded to a spren, yes? May I ask you a few questions about it?"

Still wary, the man replied, "I'm bonded to a spren, and I suspect you know what that means. What are you looking to learn?" After all, what's the harm in answering a few questions? He was bored and feeling quite restless as it was. It might be nice to have someone to talk to about this, and perhaps he could learn a thing or two from this figure.

"Can you communicate through the bond? Can the spren feel pain or emotions that you feel? If the spren travels through a Perpendicularity, does its memories return full force, or do they remain forgotten?" came the barrage of questions. The man answered them as best he could, talking long into the night.

Elsewhere, an ominous chittering could be heard rising out of the still of night. The animals scampered away from the sound, and the humans who heard it looked around in confusion and fear. The chittering continued long into the night.

Science was done on Roshar!

There are now zero Independents who have accomplished all of their goals.

Day 7 has begun. It will end in 46.7 hours.

ora_1476151200.png

Player List

Magestar (Magestar)

The Healer (Doctor12)

Daniyah (Daniyah)

Lorien the Rithmatist (Conquestor)

Stick (I_am_a_Stick)

Jonly the Terrisman (The Only Joe)

NeLaar (Arraenae)

Spike (Paranoid King)

Ryth (Silverblade5)

Riza (Frozen Mint)

Ecthelion (Ecthelion III)

Kyla (Little Wilson)

The Young Bard (The Young Bard)

Ashton & Ashlyn (Burnt Spaghetti)

Brandon Sanderson (Darkness Ascendant)

Aralis (Araris Valerian)

Dr. Idem Occulta (Wonko the Sane)

Kelen Taldar (AliasSheep)

Gladium Paleas (Straw)

Victor (Amanuensis)

Bugsy (Bugsy6912)

Locke (OrlokTsubodai)

Dowanx (Dowanx)

Tom (Sart)

Kaloo (TheMightyLopen)

Unknown (Mark IV)

mmhmmnmhmm (LivingLegend)

Cy Lon (Clanky)

Emrys Morge (Bridge Boy)

Reginald Canuck (Dalinar Kholin)

Orik Ironfist (Haelbarde)

Lily (Luckat)

Odin (Stink)

Edited by Nyali

9 minutes ago, Nyali said:

Day 7 - Science!

Elsewhere, an ominous chittering could be heard rising out of the still of night. The animals scampered away from the sound, and the humans who heard it looked around in confusion and fear. The chittering continued long into the night.

Any ideas what this could mean, people? "Ominous chittering" doesn't sound very friendly to me.

@Burnt Spaghetti, Elantrian. I make this appeal to you, stretching across the cognitive knot, hoping this message meets your ears. 

I have great need of your assistance. Will I meet you at Sel, by the ruins of fair Elantris, the cycle after this? For my quest of knowledge is incomplete, and I must interview an Elantrian. I could find ways to assist you even after the fall of your great city. 

Burnt Spaghetti, hear my plea, and hearken to my need. With this knowledge, I will do my utmost to give back to the Elantrians. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Doctor12

1 minute ago, Silverblade5 said:

Given that it's Roshar, I'd say it's Eshoni being active.

Perhaps. The two events occurring don't necessarily have to be happening on Roshar, though. That paragraph does begin with "Elsewhere," after all. I'm more so trying to think of a character related to chittering. Suppose Eshonai could fit

Hm, I suppose I've heard the noise squirrel's make being described as chittering before. Good thought. It fits my theory that there's a Returned on GoH. Denth makes the most sense, but I don't feel comfortable taking only one player's word for his existence. @Clanky, did your flavor text or goals / abilities imply that Denth or Yesteel were in the game?