Second entity like Adonalsium?

Lilamal

What if the force opposing Adonalsium was another entity like Adonalsium? The reason they shattered would also be explained by this. Ruin and Preservation were dispersed and didn't Shatter when they "fought,"but that could just be because they were from the same origin, so maybe when Adonalsium and the opposing entity, who could have come from completely different origins, Shattered when they "fought," instead of just dispersing like Ruin and Preservation did... Or maybe Adonalsium is a Shard of a larger entity and so was the opposing entity, which is unlikely, though I wouldn't put it past Brandon.

"I think you talk too much."

"I apologize on behalf of my sword, who (unfortunately) spent his first few hours with Hoid in the room, and he gained a few bad habits from him."

"HEY!"

Edited by Lilamal

Possible. But, it strikes me as a bit too obvious that to Shatter Adonalsium you need... another Adonalsium. I think we have a WoB in your favor that says that Dominion, Devotion, etc. were shattered in the same way as Adonalsium, just in a smaller way. But, seeing as we don't know exactly how Dominion and Devotion were shattered beyond Odium causing it, we can't say that much for certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesss. Weird plot implications. This is Brandon we are talking about, OK? He loves weird plot implications. He would do it, and he would do it with style. There is so much to work with with this theory, he could start a ton of new storylines! Think about it. He could make another Cosmere, where the other entity is God instead of Adonalsium! Another universe! And if there's one, there could be more. He always find ways to astound us. He would do this. And more. Much more.

Unfortunately it was said in secret history that wasnt the case. Not getting into spoilers here.

Please put this in spoilers. I've read it (about an hour after I made my post here), but others might be more anti-spoilers.

Navy - read Secret History. Pertinent information is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Navy Seon might well be overstating his case a bit anyway, so I wouldn't entirely rule out your theory.

Without any spoilers, I highly recommend once you've read all the other Mistborn books to pick up Mistborn: Secret History. It has some important context.

Clarification (with spoilers for Mistborn: SH)

What we found out is that Khriss believes the original Vessels for the sixteen shards were responsible for the shattering. That doesn't necessarily mean that they were what Brandon referred to as the "force opposing Adonalisum," although it certainly makes them a valid candidate. You're still perfectly open to speculate that other things were what Brandon referred to in that quote instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm inclined to believe that the force which shattered Adonalsium was likely equal in power, or with help became equal in power, but was not a shard of the same entity. They existed in the same Cosmere and the opposing force employed others, like the original 16 Shard holders, to help in the endeavor.

Without citing unpublished works, I can't make a valid argument about the function of pre-shattering magic. At least some of it. It's possible that Feruchemy was part of it, and some of the Surgebindings.

As for how much power was required, I don't doubt one bit that a lot would be required. We're talking about the force that created the Cosmere. If any kid with a stick could bash it to pieces and take its power, it likely wouldn't have stood for very long. Nor would it have taken at least 16 people in the shattering. It's true that we don't know how involved those 16 were, or how much force needed to be applied. But if you break a rock to pieces, it's a fact that each piece is easier to break than the whole. And we've seen first hand how much force it takes to fight on a level with mere Shards of Aonalsium.

Adonalsium always reminds me of Ceasar and his betrayal, so I'm hesitant to assume a lot of power (at least on the Adonalsium scale). For example, was the total power of the 16 combined equal to Adonalsium's power? Half of Adonalsium's?

• 9 months later...

It has been awhile, but I once asked Brandon what the most powerful non-Shard entity was, and he stated Hoid. So he may have been going off of revealed information, or the other entity is broken into its own shards. Otherwise, it would point to Adonalsium being unique, and any appearance of non-shard deities being Autonomy doing its thing.

7 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

It has been awhile, but I once asked Brandon what the most powerful non-Shard entity was, and he stated Hoid. So he may have been going off of revealed information, or the other entity is broken into its own shards. Otherwise, it would point to Adonalsium being unique, and any appearance of non-shard deities being Autonomy doing its thing.

It's been essentially confirmed by Brandon that the force which opposed Adonalsium was the group of people who became the first vessels.

• Chaos locked this topic