The Honor Spren

I don't know if someone already brought this up, but Wax's earring is a hermalurgic spoke, right?

Hermalurgic spikes give powers of the metallic arts.

Can anyone see Wax helping to resolve the plot by suddenly pulling a piece of metal, instead of pushing? Or maybe cloaking his allomancy with copper? A sudden burst of feruchemal speed would be cool.

The general consensus is that it's probably allomantic pewter, but whatever it is it would have degraded so much in the last few centuries that it barely has a charge any more.

That's the old earring, right?

He gets a new earring in the epilogue with (potentially) a new power. Could be anything, really. And now that Wax knows about hemallurgy, he could use it more actively. Assuming he will eventually return to Harmony and wear the earring, that is.

A disturbing question is where Harmony gets these spikes from. Does he have a stash of inquisitor bodies he harvests them from, or is he creating new ones as needed? I find that last possibility hard to believe as I see Harmony as a mostly benevolent god/shard, even after SoS.

He gets a new earring in the epilogue with (potentially) a new power. Could be anything, really. And now that Wax knows about hemallurgy, he could use it more actively. Assuming he will eventually return to Harmony and wear the earring, that is.

A disturbing question is where Harmony gets these spikes from. Does he have a stash of inquisitor bodies he harvests them from, or is he creating new ones as needed? I find that last possibility hard to believe as I see Harmony as a mostly benevolent god/shard, even after SoS.

Wax's new earring looks exactly like Vin's, so it seems like Seeker abilities are maybe what Harmony wants him to have for now.

Harmony's earrings indeed come from melted-down Inquisitor spikes.

Harmony doesn't seem to have changed any of the systems much. We know he changed the way snapping works, but no confirmation of any other changes. That would be a great question for someone to ask Brandon.

Given that a seeker's abilities can detect hemalurgy (and potentially other-worldly forms of investiture), and that it does appear to be Vin's earring, I can see that being a very useful skill for Wax in the near future. 

New question, is it possible for Harmony to somehow use Preservation to keep the spikes from degrading? Preserve them, and all that stuff?

I'm not sure where it was exactly, but I saw one user hypothesize that the Kandra could be storing hemalurgic spikes inside their bodies to prevent degradation.

Ah, found the quote.  Good call:

In the old days, Inquisitors had driven the spike right through the body of the one to be killed into the body of the person to gain the powers. That prevented any power from being lost. Apparently, coating the newly made spike in blood could achieve a similar effect.

So not identical, I suspect something is still going to be lost.

• Chaos locked this topic