Another epitaph discussion about book 5

MGershone

They came from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know I have seen true glory.

This is the Chapter 64 epitaph from Way of Kings, which I'm rereading right now. It's kind of a weird one, even vaguer than a lot of the others. This is my interpretation of it, and a theory about book 5. 

First of all, I don't think the word piteans s literal pit here. I guess it could just be predicting Kaladin and Shallan emerging from the chasm with the gem heart,  but since it says two men, I don't think so. Instead, my guess is that "pit"means Damnation. It's common in the Bible to refer to hell that way, so Brandon could be using that same symbolism. This also fits with the phrase "two dead men" , since if they were on Braize they would be technically dead by Rosharan definition. Plus, seeing a pair of people simply walk out of hell would be pretty glorious.

My theory is that in book 5, in order to restore the Oathpact or otherwise trap/kill Odium, two people -my bet would be Szeth and Kaladin- have to go to Braize and retrieve some sort of artifact.

Looking back at it, the epitaph does describe Kaladin and Shallan in the chasms pretty well, but meh, theorizing about what will happen is more fun.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

6 hours ago, Stormgate said:

I see it as Kaladin and Shallan in WoR after their time in the chasms. They very much came from a pit, holding a large gemheart, and lots of gloryspren came to mark the occasion.

Yeah, @Stormgate is right on this one.

Chapter 75 of WoR, which is when Shallan and Kal return from the chasms, is literally titled “True Glory.”

3 hours ago, mdross81 said:

Yeah, @Stormgate is right on this one.

Chapter 75 of WoR, which is when Shallan and Kal return from the chasms, is literally titled “True Glory.”

Ok, that's a very good clue.

I guess "two dead men" actually meant "two person presumed dead". Or maybe Meolach actually saw Adolin falling of the Chasms and not Shallan.

Oftentimes "men" is used in dramatic language to just mean people in general. It's particularly common in old texts like the Bible, which is likely where Brandon got the inspiration for the way his prophecies are worded. So the chasm scene is pretty compelling. 

That being said, I do think that it's very possible that all the epigraphs could have multiple meanings, so theorizing about something like this isn't necessarily unproductive. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 0:23 PM, Honorless said:

You mean epigraph? Epitaph is stuff that's written on graves

Gah, I always mix this up. Though writing this on a gravestone might be appropriate. It is someone's last words. Actually, I think it makes sense to call it an epitaph. I stand by my choices!

Yeah, the chapter title is fairly definitive here.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, Rushu42 said:

Oftentimes "men" is used in dramatic language to just mean people in general. It's particularly common in old texts like the Bible, which is likely where Brandon got the inspiration for the way his prophecies are worded.

Other 'mystical' or archaic characters in the Stormlight Archive talk like this too - Zahel and the Stormfather contrast "spren" with "men", for example.