Fabrials, The Gestalt Magic System

StanLemon

I was thinking about Fabrials and how fascinating. Of all the magic systems that Brandon has made for the Cosmere it is the only one we've seen that incorporates key elements of other worlds' magic systems. They use Spren (Roshar), the color (Nalthis) of the gem, metal (Scadrial), and shape (Sel) of the cage. It seems like Brandon is going to use Fabrials to show us the underlying rules that govern other magic systems. I wonder what other things we'll learn about them

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Not with Allomancy and Ferruchemy

Actually yes, the shape of the metal's chemical structure determines the powers.

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Radiancy, or with the Aviars

gem's structure affects them, and thus Radiants. As for Aviars, we barely know anything about them.

7 hours ago, mathiau said:

The shape of the cage matter? When did I miss that

It's not outright stated but a number of references, particularly one of Navani's sketches imply it. There is a reference to Stormlight patterns along with Spren type determining effects of the Fabrial. Next to it there is a sketch that shows the cage being responsible for the pattern. 

The cage shape seems to create 'shadows' in the Stormlight pattern on the left. And if you look at the different cages on all the gems on the emotion detecting Fabrial have different cage shapes

Navani2.jpg

9 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

It's not outright stated but a number of references, particularly one of Navani's sketches imply it. There is a reference to Stormlight patterns along with Spren type determining effects of the Fabrial. Next to it there is a sketch that shows the cage being responsible for the pattern. 

The cage shape seems to create 'shadows' in the Stormlight pattern on the left. And if you look at the different cages on all the gems on the emotion detecting Fabrial have different cage shapes

Navani2.jpg

I just noticed that the bottom shape is that of the double eye in both the surgebinding and Voidbinding chart.

43 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I just noticed that the bottom shape is that of the double eye in both the surgebinding and Voidbinding chart.

Interesting way that the emotions are laid out then, no? Certainly not in direct relation to that order's Lesser Spren (wind isn't exactly an emotion, now is it), but still... I feel like there could be some nifty little parallel with their positions and the orders of our main cast.