Zahel's sacrifice (Warbreaker spoilers)

Zanarkand

Just wondering if anyone else has speculated on who Vasher/Zahel will give his divine breath to. It seems obvious to me he will do it at some point, much as Lightsong did. And given how long he has been alive and how important he has been, I would surmise Zahel's sacrifice will be a doozy.

10 hours ago, Zanarkand said:

Just wondering if anyone else has speculated on who Vasher/Zahel will give his divine breath to. It seems obvious to me he will do it at some point, much as Lightsong did. And given how long he has been alive and how important he has been, I would surmise Zahel's sacrifice will be a doozy.

For that we would need a Zahel book that happens after Stormlight (the Nightblood book is also before Stormlight). Big Sacrifice in a series that isn't about him - crappy idea.

Given that he seems to only have a close relationship with Kaladin and Adolin in the text I would suspect it will be one of them. I would also hazard to guess that it won't be healing a physical wound, ala a tongue, but rather some sort of spiritual damage that progression cannot take care of. If this is not the case I at least would feel cheated. Side note: I think it has to happen in the back 5, because he hasn't had enough screen time yet for his death to have meaning to those who have not read Stormlight. It is also possible that Vasher will be around far longer than the back 5, and will have a presence in Mistborn era 4 simular to that of Hoid or Kelsier.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by i’m in the details

I don't think Vasher necessarily has to give up his divine breath to someone to fullfill whatever purpose he was given the option to return for. I'm sure he still has an important role to play, but he feels more like a character like Kriss or Nazh to me, a cosmere scholar that can explain things to the audience while being a cool cameo. That said I do think he has more plot relevance than either of those two.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it would be used to prevent Dalinar from being fully under the control of Odium if he ends up becoming a Fused. Perhaps he will be able to use the 'reincarnation and a single surge' powerset, but while he is not bound to Odium he still needs to kick someone out of their body. Dalinar as a spren zipping around everywhere might be fun.

Alternatively it could be to 'fix' Nightblood's iffy understanding of how to destroy evil, but that seems a little too obvious.

On 10/03/2021 at 6:59 PM, jamesbondsmith said:

Alternatively it could be to 'fix' Nightblood's iffy understanding of how to destroy evil, but that seems a little too obvious.

That doesn't seem possible, Nightblood would just eat it

On 2/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, i’m in the details said:

Given that he seems to only have a close relationship with Kaladin and Adolin in the text I would suspect it will be one of them. I would also hazard to guess that it won't be healing a physical wound, ala a tongue, but rather some sort of spiritual damage that progression cannot take care of. If this is not the case I at least would feel cheated. Side note: I think it has to happen in the back 5, because he hasn't had enough screen time yet for his death to have meaning to those who have not read Stormlight. It is also possible that Vasher will be around far longer than the back 5, and will have a presence in Mistborn era 4 simular to that of Hoid or Kelsier.

Adolin's bond with Maia maybe?

1 hour ago, Tani said:

Adolin's bond with Maia maybe?

Perhaps. I suspect that Adolin will revive maya on his own though. Or perhaps when Mishram is freed that Maya will simply bond Adolin out the gate. I could see Vasher using his breath to revive a “dead” spren though, so if Syl were to get hit with some anti-stormlight he could save her.