What are the odds that future Scadrial - 1980's, Cyberpunk, or Era 4, is going to be covered in smog?

Ixthos

12 hours ago, Quantus said:

If it IS possible in the Cosmere, I dont think any magic with Ruin's influence involved will be able to pull it off, including Ettmetal.  Both Feruchemy and Hemalurgy have diminishing returns on stored Investiture that I think would likely prevent Perpetual motion once you dig into the in-world math/science of it all.  

Dimnishing returns doesnt matter in model of this perpetual motion machine. All is needet is few pieces of Ettmetal charged with F-Iron on the wheel, and make them store more when going up, and store less when going down. No need tap at all (only in case of filling them completly), or enough to simply tap much less than we earlier stored. And we can even controll emited power with amount of charge on "going down" part.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Kalak_ said:

It’s scadrial, anything not crushingly depressing and hopeless is out of place 

I'm not sure you got the context.

I said that a sub-plot of searching for green energy would be out of place in a book about traking down a serial killer.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:41 PM, AonEne said:

I'd love the poetic symmetry in that, though it would also be really depressing. Having a side plot of "let's find clean energy!" would be a really cool side effect of this.

And in another twist, it turns out that the more advanced Southern Scadrians have been intentionally feeding the Northerners technology in such a way as to cause them to burn lots of biofuel, specifically to try to cause planetwide warming!

Northerners: "And all along, we thought that covering the skies in ash would make our world cooler, the way the Words of Founding describe the Lord Ruler as having used the ashmounts of old!"

Southerners: "Bwa-ha-ha-ha!"

Edited by robardin

On 7/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, Quantus said:

2) If it IS possible in the Cosmere, I dont think any magic with Ruin's influence involved will be able to pull it off, including Ettmetal.

Brandon's confirmed that using Feruchemy to create electricity is indeed doable:

Questioner

Have you ever thought of using Skimmers to have infinite electricity. Like on a Ferris wheel kind of thing. Like Skimmers on this side tap and then Skimmers on this side store.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, you're just using like Allomancers or Feruchemy. I mean yeah, that's totally something that in-world they will probably end up doing because the energy is simply coming from another place like Investiture is energy but there's more efficient ways than that to actually get Investiture into energy. I mean, a lot of Investiture gives off light. You could make it give off heat. Like, way easier ways to use Investiture than to put people on dynamos and create power that way but you could do it. You could absolutely do it. If you were hard up for making it work and the only thing you had was a Feruchemist or an Allomancer, you could create electricity that way. 

Hypothetically, this would probably be possible with ettmetal too, but we don't know for sure how mechanical Feruchemy works, only that it in some way does, so we can't say much for certain.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, Quantus said:

Separately, it has been a while since I read it myself, but the Coppermind says the airships are run on Steelpushing, not weight reduction.  I dont have m books with me, anyone recall the specifics offhand?  Was it perhaps both?

The smaller escape ship was just Steelpushing, the larger ship uses both. BoM 29:

The man’s eyes lit up. “Yes, sir! The machinery is operational, sheltered as it was from the weather. Sir … it’s amazing. You can feel the energy pulsing off that metal. We did have to send men out to unclog the fans—a few of the Coinshots helped—and we have them moving now. Fed is down below, priming the weight-changing machinery with her Feruchemy, to lighten the ship. That should be the last step!”