Gender and Spren

CosmereLight

Some other same gender spren:

• Shallan - Testament
  • Venli (and Eshonai before her) - Timbre
  • Renarin - Glys
  • Dalinar - Stormfather [tho the Bondsmith spren may be an unusual case. E.g. Navani is bonded to the Sibling, who has no gender at all]

Brandon has been asked this question before:

little wilson

Is the gender of a spren bonded to a surgebinder based on sexual preferences?

Brandon Sanderson

It-- A lot of people are curious about this one… Not strictly but there is an influence there. But it's not strict. In other words Renarin having a male spren does not necessarily mean--

zas678

What some think it means?

Brandon Sanderson

-what some thinks it means. How about this you are more likely to bond a spren of an opposite gender-- a spren who identifies as an opposite gender, because spren don't actually have gender. But you are also more likely, statistically, to like members of the opposite gender. Those things have a correlation. Whether they have a causation is not a thing I am canonizing.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

Narkac

KR seemed to have opposite gender spren. Why is Glys male then? Is there something hidden there?

Brandon Sanderson

More naturally, the spren is opposite gender but it doesn't have to be. It's not a indication necessarily of homosexuality, but sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. More often, you'll attract spren of the opposite gender, but spren genders are very fluid anyway. You're not supposed to read anything specific into that.

Paris signing (Oct. 22, 2016)

2 hours ago, CosmereLight said:

Is there a link between human and spren gender ? i.e Kaladin is a boy his spren is a girl... It always seems whatever the human is the spren is the opposite gender. Has this been discussed somewhere?

2 hours ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

Lopen's spren is male.

In addition Timbre is female (Venli), Glys is male (Renarin), Tumi is male (Rlain), I'm sure there are others.

Edit: removed most of the stuff from this post as @yulyulk covered it.

Edited by The Sovereign

Narrative reasons, mainly:

Questioner

Does gender play a role in how a spren chooses a Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

It does but it is not a strict... It's just spren are going to have preferences like people have preferences and that does play into it but there's not really any sort of strict...

If you want to know narratively, behind the scenes, it tends to work to pair opposite genders together, because it just makes for better conversations and things like that. And it makes the cast fill out a little bit better with a little more variety. So that's why you see the writer side of me doing it, but in-world my kind of explanation is they have preferences.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

8 hours ago, yulyulk said:

little wilson

Is the gender of a spren bonded to a surgebinder based on sexual preferences?

Brandon Sanderson

It-- A lot of people are curious about this one… Not strictly but there is an influence there. But it's not strict. In other words Renarin having a male spren does not necessarily mean--

zas678

What some think it means?

Brandon Sanderson

-what some thinks it means. How about this you are more likely to bond a spren of an opposite gender-- a spren who identifies as an opposite gender, because spren don't actually have gender. But you are also more likely, statistically, to like members of the opposite gender. Those things have a correlation. Whether they have a causation is not a thing I am canonizing.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

This is kinda funny now that we know Rlainarin is a thing...