So, Tanavast was probably...

Lunu’anaki

...a Dragon, right? We know Cultivation was a Dragon, we know they had a relationship before ascension.

Is that assuming way too much, seeing as we know Dragons can do the whole polymorph thing in the cosmere? Is there any evidence to the contrary, or otherwise?

Discuss.

Or ... there are very few ways of saying this that don't sound dirty, and they probably don't exist in Dragonsteel considering the intelligence and possible independence of dragons in the Cosmere, but he might have been a dragon rider. Either that or they were just really close, her seeing in him the best qualities of a person regardless of race, especially taking into account her ability to change appearance. He probably was Yolen's equivalent of a paladin.

I don't think there's evidence countering the idea that Tanavast was a dragon, and the surgebinding chart does picture dragons in the background, and it's likely dragons avoid relationship with humans due to the life expectancy difference. But it's still possible Tanavast was a human, especially if they only became a couple after they knew they'd become immortal or if he had already archive immortality in another way before meeting her.

57 minutes ago, Theoryspren said:

I am pretty sure that he was a human as he appeared in Dalinars vision as a human though as you have said dragons can change their form so he could be a dragon.

And Odium could appear as a singer, we can't really use the appearance of vessels to guess their races.

Edited by mathiau

Just now, yulyulk said:

Did this happen? If so I have to read that chapter immediately

I"m pretty sure he does that every time he speaks to Venli on Oathbringer. This extrait is from chapter 116

Light crystallized beside her, forming an ancient parshman with a face marbled gold and white, and a regal scepter he carried like a cane. For once, his presence didn’t vaporize her immediately. Venli released a relieved breath. This was more an impression than his true being. Still, power streamed from him like the tendrils of a vinebud waving in the wind, vanishing into infinity. Odium had come to personally supervise this battle.

1 minute ago, yulyulk said:

@mathiau wow thanks! I never noticed that. Love that Rayse persists with his gold color scheme even when changing his appearance. (Nice try seeming grandiose instead of evil, old man)

If find it very intriguing he goes with gold despite his colour almost certainly being purple (it's the colour of voidlight and when you compare the voidbinding chart and the surgebinding chart, the only order that change colour is the windrunner one, going from blue to purple)

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

If find it very intriguing he goes with gold despite his colour almost certainly being purple (it's the colour of voidlight and when you compare the voidbinding chart and the surgebinding chart, the only order that change colour is the windrunner one, going from blue to purple)

Ithink shards can have more than one color, because honor is normally blue, but I've seen quite a few yellow depictions. 

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

Ithink shards can have more than one color, because honor is normally blue, but I've seen quite a few yellow depictions. 

Do you mean, fan depictions or official depictions?

He could be a dragon too but I think he was a human vessel and had somehow managed to get a dragon to fall in love with him. 
I don’t know why but I associate Cultivation’s being good at futuresight due to the fact that she is a dragon. I think it is a dragon thing too which then got way enhanced when she became a shard! 
I also would be disappointed to know that one of the dragon vessels got killed by the likes of Rayse!

16 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

...a Dragon, right? We know Cultivation was a Dragon, we know they had a relationship before ascension.

Is that assuming way too much, seeing as we know Dragons can do the whole polymorph thing in the cosmere? Is there any evidence to the contrary, or otherwise?

Discuss.

Cultivation preferred to be in a different form than her true form. If she liked being in the form of a human and lived amongst humans pre-shattering that may be how she met Tanavast and fell in love. 

Just now, Child of Hodor said:

Cultivation preferred to be in a different form than her true form.

Do we know if that's true? She spoked to human in human form but she also seems to speak to singers in (femalen) singer form so it could just be her using a form her interlocutor will find comfortable.

17 hours ago, yulyulk said:

Did this happen? If so I have to read that chapter immediately

It also happened in Moash's talks with Odium. Odium has to appear as Singer because of his whole human genocide plan. To Dalinar he (presumably) showed his real self, to gain sympathy and a bit more trust.

Anyway:

1. The fact that Cultivation is taking weird inhuman shapes, while Tanavast takes a consistent human shape, in my opinion is a further proof that Tanavast isn't a Dragon. As a former shapeshifter, she probably wouldn't be content with a single locked form, while a human would consider a locked form as something natural.
  2. Tanavast is a shard of Honor. Having a human shape while not being human is a kind of deception, and would not mesh well with his shard.
  3. Tanavast didn't have to be a Dragon to be immortal and have relationship with Cultivation. Hoid is immortal, and they had access to the same magic system at the time.

18 hours ago, mathiau said:

Tanavast/Honor appears to Dalinar in gold robes in the only vision where he doesn't speak from the mouth of someone already in the vision. It could be that Rayse kinda copied him to make people associate himself with Honor. Or (Spoilers for Dawnshard): 

Spoiler

Gold is a color associated with Adonalsium/Divinity. The Dawnshard had a whole gold mural thing going. 

19 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

Tanavast/Honor appears to Dalinar in gold robes in the only vision where he doesn't speak from the mouth of someone already in the vision. It could be that Rayse kinda copied him to make people associate himself with Honor. Or (Spoilers for Dawnshard): 

Hide contents

Gold is a color associated with Adonalsium/Divinity. The Dawnshard had a whole gold mural thing going. 

I found a wob saying Odium's colour is actually gold, voidlight being purple must be something else

Edited by mathiau
wrong wob

19 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I found a wob saying Odium's colour is actually gold, voidlight being purple must be something else

I'm not claiming that's the color associated with that Shard, just that Tanavast and Rayse both use it when representing themselves to mortals. Might be how Adonalsium appeared as well. Could be they all have the same stylist. 

Though it is exceedingly odd that except Odium, each other Shard's gaseous investiture manifested as the color we are led to associate with that Shard. The Mists are white, Ruin's weird smoke is black, Stormlight is blue/white, and Lifelight is green. Also, not sure what to make of Breath being a rainbow and if there is a specific color associated with Endowment. 

Oathgate Locations Based off this in world representation of Roshar when the humans came from Ashyn, the planet was ruled by a dragon and a lion type thing (or a mink as Adolin observed). I think there is a WoB about whether the lion represents Honor that was RAFO'd but in the right direction, I think they discussed it on Shardcast but I can't currently find it on the Arcanum.

I would assume Tanavast isn't actually from a sapient lion species, I would guess it is being used metaphorically, but I think they would show two dragons if that is what he is.

On 10/01/2021 at 3:00 PM, mathiau said:

I don't think there's evidence countering the idea that Tanavast was a dragon, and the surgebinding chart does picture dragons in the background, and it's likely dragons avoid relationship with humans due to the life expectancy difference. But it's still possible Tanavast was a human, especially if they only became a couple after they knew they'd become immortal or if he had already archive immortality in another way before meeting her.

And Odium could appear as a singer, we can't really use the appearance of vessels to guess their races.

I think those dragons might actually be Larkins. Which kind of makes sense since they're the natural enemies of surgebinders.

6 hours ago, Clovermite said:

Maybe he was a Dragon Man, with a big beefy arm coming out of the back of his neck.

Best theory. You win the theory game. Trogdor is Honor confirmed. Trogdor becomes Adonalsium and Burninates everything. :lol: Cosmere Complete. The End.<3