Vorinism, Dawnsingers, and Dalinar's Fate

Lightspine

The first part of this theory is built on information we've had since Oathbringer, and although I haven't seen a post about it myself, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has made a post in the same vein.

For the second part, I need to credit the moderator FeatherWriter, who brought it up in one of the 17th shard podcast (Shardcast) episodes. So I don't think of this theory as very original. I'm bringing together two separate ideas that I think fit together very nicely.

Part 1: Vorinism is about the Dawnsingers

After Oathbringer, I got a little suspicious about he Vorin faith. I doubt I'm the first one to have these thoughts. Let's list out the core beliefs of Vorinism and see what they imply.

• Origin of Humans on Roshar and Central Conflict: Long ago, humans lived on the Tranquiline Halls. The Voidbringers, from Damnation, came and took over the Tranquiline Halls, forcing humanity to flee to Roshar.
  • Desolations: The Voidbringers periodically escape Damnation and try to wipe humanity off of the face of Roshar. Eventually, at Aharietiam, humanity defeated the Voidbringers and the battle moved to the Tranquiline Halls.
  • Present Day and Afterlife: Currently, the Heralds fight a war against the Voidbringers in the Tranquiline Halls, joined by the souls of the dead.

Now lets relate these beliefs to the what we know about the history of Roshar, and interpret it the way the characters in the book do: Ashyn = Tranquiline Halls, Braize = Damnation

• Origin of Humans on Roshar and Central Conflict: Humans made Ashyn inhospitable, came to Roshar seeking refuge. They were the first Voidbringers, bringing Odium with them. (You may notice that this doesn't really fit what Vorinism says)
  • Desolations: The Fused escape from Braize when the Heralds break and try to win Roshar back from the Humans.
  • Present Day and Afterlife: ????? No clear connection

This is the face-value interpretation that is given by the books. Raboniel even tells Navani that Braize is the place she would call Damnation. But there are issues with it. Let me try to resolve those by flipping some names around. The Tranquiline Halls are Roshar. Damnation is Ashyn. "Roshar" is Braize (I know this one seems weird). This is now a story about the Dawnsingers.

• Origin of Humans on Roshar and Central Conflict: Humans, the first Voidbringers, come from Ashyn (Damnation) and drive the Dawnsingers out of Roshar (the Tranquiline Halls) and onto Braize ("Roshar"). This now matches up much better with the story told by Vorinism.
  • Desolations: The Heralds reside on Braize to prevent the Returns. (Okay, this is by far the weakest connection made by this version of the story).
  • Present Day and Afterlife: The Dawnsingers now go to fight on Roshar (the Tranquiline Halls) as the Fused after their deaths. After Aharietiam, 9 out of 10 Heralds are on Roshar rather than on Braize. This aligns with the idea that the Heralds are now in the Tranquiline Halls.

I know it isn't perfect, but two out of the 3 points align much more closely with the story of the Dawnsingers than with the story of the Humans. In addition, we know that the Hierocracy erased a lot of the religion of Old Vorinism. It's highly theorized that Ishar was behind this. Therefore, it is pretty possible that the creator of the current Vorin faith new about these connections.

Also, notice that this interpretation of events sort of places Odium in the role of the Almighty. (Following the first desolation, at least)

Part 2: Dalinar's Fate

In the first Rhythm of War Reactions Shardcast episode, FeatherWriter brings up this scene from Oathbringer:

"We must use King Gavilar as a model for our own lives," the ardent was saying. "We must remember that our lives are not our own. This world is but the skirmish to prepare us for the true war."

"And after that?" Dalinar asked, looking up from Gavilar's corpse.

The ardent squinted, adjusting her spectacles. "Highprince Dalinar?"

"After that, what?" Dalinar said. "After we win back the Tranquiline Halls? What then? No more war?"

Is that when we finally get to rest?

"You needn't worry, Blackthorn," Jevena said. "Once that war is won, the Almighty will certainly provide for you another conquest."

Oathbringer Chapter 105, Page 978 of the U.S. Hardcover

Featherwriter noted that this was eerily foreboding for Dalinar becoming one of the Fused.

And if we interpret this through the lens of Vorinism being about the Dawnsingers, it becomes even more damning. "After the Tranquiline Halls are won back" now refers to the Fused winning back Roshar, after which Odium will "provide for Dalinar another conquest."

If you ask me, Dalinar's chances in the contest of champions aren't looking so good.

Since reading RoW, I’ve wholeheartedly believed that Dalinar will become the primary pawn in Odium’s coming war against the Cosmere.  

Dalinar is one of Brandon’s oldest characters, along with Hoid.  He is also one of his favorites.  Dalinar is deep and nuanced, and incredibly interesting to read.  

I think ending the first arc of Stormlight with Dalinar becoming an immortal Fused would be a fantastic way to break for a few years before book 6.  The heroes could still win, with Odium leaving Roshar entirely to attack somewhere else in the Cosmere, but the cost is losing Dalinar.  The second arc of Stormlight could largely surround our heroes doing whatever they can to stop Odium, with the help of other worlds, and the conflict between them and Dalinar would be amazing.  Dalinar would also provide for a very nice conduit for us to see what exactly Odium is doing at any given moment.  He would be like a major villain viewpoint character, but not really since we all love Dalinar.  

I’ve never really like the whole-Dalinar becoming Honor-idea, because it just seems so predictable.  I know a lot of people think that will happen in book 5, but I think that if it does happen, it won’t be until book 10 or maybe 9.  

1 minute ago, garlick said:

Im just gonna throw this thought out there. Odium said he was preparing for the future fight of the cosmere thats why he wanted roshar as a training ground. What if the tranqualline halls are on yolen.

I agree partially with this interpretation, but I don't think Yolen is meant to be the "tranquiline halls" under that context.

I didn't say this in my main post, but I believe that Vorinism is meant to be somewhat prophetic/cyclical. Currently, it describes the First Desolation—the arrival of humans on Roshar—from the perspective of the Dawnsingers. However, as you said, Roshar is Odium's training grounds for his future wars in the Cosmere. In this interpretation, wherever humans are sent to next to fight will be the "tranquiline halls" (although I guess they were never kicked out of them.. hmmm).

I certainly agree with the idea that vorinism is something that's changed over the last 4500 years and the original religion is vastly different. The heralds know what honor and the other shard are, ash swore by andolisium name. I think it's more of a mixture of the singer's religion and what the heralds said. Over 5500 years things change and with every translation the meanings do also.