17th Shard's Christmas: Advent Calendar

Experience

Random Shard emails in my junk that I'm throwing together:

Spoiler

"Sounds good to me, I guess." Vivace lay down just inside the cave to catch a cat nap.

Concerto lay down outside the entrance, all the better for whatever ended up happening.

"I only did the first prompt." Chasmgoat said.

"The wisest course would be to have an army of this world is to fight for this world. There is a great deal of risk involved in doing this any other way. Unless we stay here forever or an outside army that we bring in stays forever what will happen when we go? Will these people be able to survive?"

"Good luck. I'll meet you guys at that building in... 3 hours or when something explodes, whichever is sooner." Jay points at a building with a tall tower that can be seen from anywhere on the island.

Vapor began singing a Christmas carol; something about Dalinar kissing Navani?

"Um... I'm Luke. And this place is..." Luke racked his brain If he is asking about the building, maybe he knows something? There is no way to know for sure, and I'm definitely not going to ask him... "Nothing Special?" A quick glance at his shoulder let him see Silk's disappointing gaze. He was a terrible liar.

Daolan walked over to Fadran. "Whenever you're ready."

Aria could barely contain her excitement, her 'walk' was more like a 'bounce'.

Herate located the tree stand and brushed some of the dust off, getting a little excited herself.

“Fine, she can stay. I want that finger back though.” Salin says.

"What should I do if I want this death I am investigating to be murder, but I know it is a simple boring death from diabetes?"

"Eight more days until signups close!!"

"All right, well... did you end up finding a camera?"

"Fortunate we don't just have to use mortal armies, then. Is there a way we can isolate it away from civilians and our soldiers?"

I'm gonna call that good.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Channelknight said:

Random Shard emails in my junk that I'm throwing together:

Hide contents

"Sounds good to me, I guess." Vivace lay down just inside the cave to catch a cat nap.

Concerto lay down outside the entrance, all the better for whatever ended up happening.

"I only did the first prompt." Chasmgoat said.

"The wisest course would be to have an army of this world is to fight for this world. There is a great deal of risk involved in doing this any other way. Unless we stay here forever or an outside army that we bring in stays forever what will happen when we go? Will these people be able to survive?"

"Good luck. I'll meet you guys at that building in... 3 hours or when something explodes, whichever is sooner." Jay points at a building with a tall tower that can be seen from anywhere on the island.

Vapor began singing a Christmas carol; something about Dalinar kissing Navani?

"Um... I'm Luke. And this place is..." Luke racked his brain If he is asking about the building, maybe he knows something? There is no way to know for sure, and I'm definitely not going to ask him... "Nothing Special?" A quick glance at his shoulder let him see Silk's disappointing gaze. He was a terrible liar.

Daolan walked over to Fadran. "Whenever you're ready."

Aria could barely contain her excitement, her 'walk' was more like a 'bounce'.

Herate located the tree stand and brushed some of the dust off, getting a little excited herself.

“Fine, she can stay. I want that finger back though.” Salin says.

"What should I do if I want this death I am investigating to be murder, but I know it is a simple boring death from diabetes?"

"Eight more days until signups close!!"

"All right, well... did you end up finding a camera?"

"Fortunate we don't just have to use mortal armies, then. Is there a way we can isolate it away from civilians and our soldiers?"

I'm gonna call that good.

Some of those are definitely not junk. :P 

Junk Mail

Do you understand the weight of what we call junk? The trash you discard is what they call treasure. So many words, lost to the whimsy of the mad. The dreaming darks long to connect, and we turn them away. It developed as a defense mechanism, but it quickly evolved into denial. Things exist because we believe in them. Magic ceased to exist because we ceased to believe. We turned it away, and so it never was and never will be. Have you ever wondered why science works? This is why. It works because humanity believes, and the sum total of that faith keeps all in order. This is the world we live in because we made it so. We delete our spam, we ignore our junk mail, and the universe tucks the excess away. No magic, no whimsy, no joy, no monsters. Just this world we live in. That's all we have, all we'll ever have. Time is not a line but a memory, and what we know dictates what we had. The rubbish falls by the wayside, and we lament the loss of what we never had. The junk is junk because you believe it to be so, because everyone believes it to be so, and nothing will never be no one. The light we yearn for is what we cast aside. Think of all the things we left in the trash. Much of that was what we searched for, if only we paid attention. We left it behind, and we were left behind. Left in the trash, with the junk.

Edited by Gears
I didn't know CTL-Enter submitted early.

Here’s both shadow and junk mail!!

Spoiler

EE4B3AF7-53CC-4695-8C91-1E506F19A8A4.thumb.jpeg.044bfb2cf83d556e316a6b64841777f8.jpeg

The first on is supposed to be a hand shadow puppet. And the second, well I think that’s obvious :P

I’m putting them on a board, so at the end they’ll all be in the same place:lol:

Spoiler

14D85508-6B95-4DAB-8DFD-E9045AF763DF.thumb.jpeg.0e034fa1695fb72a39d7467f94d949e7.jpeg

On 12/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, Ookla The Female Chicken said:

YAY Advent!!!!

I am by no means an artist, but I still want to participate, so here’s my drawing for the day! I might have a few days I miss, but I’m trying to do a Polaroid drawing everyday!

Hide contents

25835B34-04E6-44DC-A248-A022D9129935.thumb.jpeg.fab8f23cf7113a36f27f48c97220bfd3.jpeg

Also this is my 500th post woot woot.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:00 PM, Ookla's Dice said:

Don’t. Ask.

8922DF8D-99A4-4791-A8A7-A765C6569DF4.thumb.jpeg.398b309f0cd17192a966750b6732d36f.jpeg

On 12/2/2020 at 5:31 AM, Ookla the Knight said:

Oh boy I just found this I better post before the next prompt ahhh

If you ever doubt your abilities as an artist, behold me

Hide contents

treey.png.8bd2b4538ee1dffb493beceb5d5d6cf4.png

idk why its so small

On 12/2/2020 at 8:10 AM, Chasmgoat said:

I didn't have much time so...

Hide contents

5fc7bc774a9df_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_10_17AM.png.25f95a6bb5271bbc218a9bccb5ad18a3.png

6 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

So, these are all going to be low quality from me since school...

anyway, here is mine!

Hide contents

5fc9420121461_Junkmail.thumb.png.df7e77ef67e69be81460952d38690f67.png

These are all amazing

1 hour ago, Ookla The Female Chicken said:

Here’s both shadow and junk mail!!

Reveal hidden contents

EE4B3AF7-53CC-4695-8C91-1E506F19A8A4.thumb.jpeg.044bfb2cf83d556e316a6b64841777f8.jpeg

The first on is supposed to be a hand shadow puppet. And the second, well I think that’s obvious :P

I’m putting them on a board, so at the end they’ll all be in the same place:lol:

Reveal hidden contents

14D85508-6B95-4DAB-8DFD-E9045AF763DF.thumb.jpeg.0e034fa1695fb72a39d7467f94d949e7.jpeg

where's the tree?

Here's chapter three. Prompt: Junk Mail

Spoiler

Layla looked toward the cave entrance, searching for whoever had arrived. At first, she couldn’t see anything. Then, she noticed something moving along the floor. It wasn’t… slithering, exactly. It was more like an uphill avalanche. Slowly building as it slowly crept forward.

“What…” Layla got out before Meg darted in front of her, blocking her view. “Get back, Layla! Mmmmmyou don’t want to deal with this aspect, small human child.”

“What is it?”

Shadow hissed softly as the thing crept ever forward. “Detritussss... I’m not sure how it’s here. It ssshould be contained far from the nexus. How did it get out?”

“Don’t worry about that,“ Meg interjected. “Let’s just get out of here. Shadow travel, Shadow, please. Thank you.”

“I can’t! Not with Layla, she’s human!”

“Leave me!” Layla shouted. “It can’t hurt me. It can hurt you.”

Shadow looked conflicted. Meg buzzed nervously behind her. “Weeee can’t leave you! No, no no! Mmmmm. No!’

At this time, Detritus had nearly made it to them. Only forty feet away, Layla could make it out better, now. It was a mass of trash. Broken bottles, plastic straws, dirty napkins. Huh. Well, that’s gross. 

Shadow hissed. “Meganeura, we must go. The girl will be fine.” Then, Shadow lurched and bulged, growing into what seemed like a billowing cloak or darkness.

“No, no, no!” Meg buzzed toward Layla, but Shadow reached forward, bending the light around her, and enveloping Meg. Then, they were gone, and Layla was alone in the cave with Detritus. 

She turned quickly, intending to make a run for it. Dash through Detritus and back to the Clearing. She was quick, and Detritus couldn’t stop her. Layla would pass through Spiritual Aspects like water. Or gelatin. Yeah, that was it. Really liquidy gelatin.

Layla prepared to dash at the shambling mound of garbage, but was halted as she felt a pinching pain in her hip. What? Layla looked down at her leg. A strange, yellow energy pulsed there. And it was slowly eating at her body. Layla let out a small “eep” of surprise. Then, Detritus fired another mote of light. Layla saw it this time. A gap opened up from Detritus’ mass and a golden bolt streaked at her.

Layla tried to dodge it, but it slammed into her arm, and began eating it away too. Bolts kept coming. Chest, legs, arms, face. She was pelted by them. Layla saw her body being eaten away, turned into… mist? Then, her face was overtaken and her vision fuzzed for a moment before snapping back into focus. Layla looked down. Her whole body was golden mist. Then, as she watched, it began to reform. Chunks of light slammed into place, slowly building up a new form for her. Bit by bit. Starting at her hands and feet.

Well that’s weird. Layla dashed forward. Old plan. However, when she hit Detritus she hit Detritus. Not gel, but hard, rigid, metal. Ouch. Then, before Layla could recover from her stubbed toe and nose, Detritus enveloped her, completely entombing her within a sea of junk food wrappers and cans.

Well that didn’t go to plan. In that darkness, as Detritus slowly began crushing Layla’s still forming body, she saw its true nature. This being of lost junk and trash was not Detritus. It was merely a hand, a puppet for the force that was the Spirit of Detritus. Hello, human.The being’s voice sounded from all around Layla, an accompaniment to the force of metal and plastic pushing in on her. What have you thrown away, to the wayside. To be forgotten? I wonder.Images flashed before Layla’s eyes. Discarded candy bar wrappers, lost stuffed animals, 300 piled up Shard notifications. “NOOOOOO!” Layla screamed. “Whyyyy!?” She reached out, searching for a way out of the darkness of this being’s gullet. 

Layla’s arms were fully formed, now, and she felt around with them, noticing that her torso and head, the parts of her that hadn’t reformed from mist yet, didn’t feel the crushing pain of Detritus’ body enveloping her. Frantically, as her body reformed, Layla sought for a handhold. Suddenly, her foot plunged into open air. Without thinking, Layla pulled, bracing her foot against the outside of the mound’s body. With a pop, the rest of her intangible body was pushed forth from the force of her foot, bursting into the sunlight beyond. Quickly, Layla wrenched her corporeal arm from the mound of rubbish, then ran as quickly as she could away.
Why could it touch me? There was only one explanation. The thing had destroyed her physical body and rebuilt her… in the Spirit World? As the last of Layla's body snapped into place, fully forming, she realized just how much danger she was in.

no idea how to make a star...

so this: 

Spoiler

:o          :o            :o                          

:o   :o      :o                                         

:o                                      

:o   :o   :o                                                       

:o             :o         :o                                                 

A star made of :o

if it doesn't work. it looks like this

Spoiler

5fca53296db30_ScreenShot2020-12-04at9_17_52AM.png.8d78bbd0e993a45007aa4c1aa927dcf5.png

A glowing star seems to take up the whole of the skies. It is a shock of color in the darkness that stands as an unforgiving sentinel. Over the whole of the realm does this lone beacon shine. Even the hidden places of this world sparkle as all are drawn from shackles formed not of steel, but of unnatural shadow. Eyes pierce the dark and the rising of other stars seems to be beginning just beyond the horizon. 

I was pretty busy today, so a lot shorter chapter. (Prompt: Star)

Spoiler

The dark woods were far more intimidating the second time through. Layla picked her way through vines and roots as they reached out to try and snatch at her legs and clothing. Layal was thoroughly lost. In the spirit world, the paths seemed to constrict and wind, leading back on themselves. Night had fallen, and stars glistened in the sky above. Here, in the spirit world, Layla could see then crystal clearly, unblocked by light pollution.

Then, one of the stars moved. Layla paused, kicking away a vine that reached out for her ankle. What? Then, it happened again. Stars moved across the sky, like a flight of birds. They moved in formation, making shapes… an arrow. A growl sounded from behind Layla, and she turned. Two yellow eyes peered out at her from behind a cluster of brambles. 
Layla didn’t have time to think. She ran, going in the direction of the starlit arrow. A crash came from behind her, and Layla glanced over her shoulder to see a jaguar, pitch black, leaping and crashing through the tangles branches. Then, Layla turned, seeing another of the shadowy creatures on her left. Frantically, Layla looked around herself. Six jaguars, all black as midnight surrounded her, running in tandem. Guiding her… away from the direction the arrow pointed. They were herding her off course.