2 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Sometimes I'm tempted(to make a second account), and then I think about what would happen if I did and got found out. Nope, never happening.

Well, if you made it but never gave rep or posted I think it would be ok. But then that would of defeat the whole purpose, so never mind. 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ookla the Bored said:

From what I understand Peter Alshtrom (However you spell it) Used to have a double account for watching things on the shard anonymously, and the name was Ookla the ______. Somehow people found out, and now we have ookla season. (Which is between Brandon's birthday and Peter Alshtrom birthday)

It was Peter's account on the TWG forums, actually.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Sometimes I'm tempted(to make a second account), and then I think about what would happen if I did and got found out. Nope, never happening.

...don't take this as me looming or whatever, but why are you tempted? I genuinely don't get the lure - this is a real question.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, Ookla the Tortured said:

Well, if you made it but never gave rep or posted I think it would be ok. But then that would of defeat the whole purpose, so never mind. 

Still wouldn't be allowed :)

Ene is correct. Multiple accounts are strictly forbidden. We are not generous to people who do this, and I will not cry if you get banned because of it. Our Code of Conduct is very clear on this. There have been multiple bans solely on that basis. We will find them and you will be removed.

Ookla season is over a decade old and is nothing new. 

28 minutes ago, Ookla the Intimidating said:

...don't take this as me looming or whatever, but why are you tempted? I genuinely don't get the lure - this is a real question.

I used to be a part of a much younger forum community (they were for books not even considered YA even) and I made the mistake of making a second account that went unnoticed for a couple days. And then one day... both accounts banned. Instant regret. Tough luck.

I had thought it would be funny or cool. I could be two different people! I would be in on a secret that only I knew about... everyone would be fooled.

I urge anyone considering this to just not. It's not all it's cracked up to be, and you'd just be making a mistake.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:40 PM, Chaos said:

Ene is correct. Multiple accounts are strictly forbidden. We are not generous to people who do this, and I will not cry if you get banned because of it. Our Code of Conduct is very clear on this. There have been multiple bans solely on that basis. We will find them and you will be removed.

I think I know how multiple accounts are detected, but I am not going to say it because once people know the detection method, they can find a way around it. Anyway, my brother is getting started in the Cosmere; he has read some books and is getting hooked. Sometime soon, probably as a Christmas present, I will introduce him to this, the 17th Shard. Once he has an account, I don't want his account to be mistaken as a duplicate account for myself, or vice versa. Is there a way to ensure that something like this doesn't happen? Others can offer input, but I feel like a staff member such as @Ookla the Editor or Chaos would be best suited to answer.

4 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

I think I know how multiple accounts are detected, but I am not going to say it because once people know the detection method, they can find a way around it. Anyway, my brother is getting started in the Cosmere; he has read some books and is getting hooked. Sometime soon, probably as a Christmas present, I will introduce him to this, the 17th Shard. Once he has an account, I don't want his account to be mistaken as a duplicate account for myself, or vice versa. Is there a way to ensure that something like this doesn't happen? Others can offer input, but I feel like a staff member such as @Ookla the Editor or Chaos would be best suited to answer.

That's fine, thanks for letting me know. We do not instaban, as obviously a situation like that is not uncommon.

@GakI'm pretty sure it ends on Brandon's birthday, which is tomorrow. 

I can't change my name for a bit, used up all my name changes for now. 

Edit: I just checked, and I've passed the date, so I can change my name whenever I want. Which is not yet. :)

Edited by Ookla the Empyreal

On 12/8/2020 at 4:56 PM, Knight of Iron said:

I used to be a part of a much younger forum community (they were for books not even considered YA even) and I made the mistake of making a second account that went unnoticed for a couple days. And then one day... both accounts banned. Instant regret. Tough luck.

I had thought it would be funny or cool. I could be two different people! I would be in on a secret that only I knew about... everyone would be fooled.

I urge anyone considering this to just not. It's not all it's cracked up to be, and you'd just be making a mistake.

Yeah, I haven't done exactly that, but I've broken a few rules in the past that I thought I could get away with. (I couldn't.)

I've found that generally, you should assume the people in charge are five steps ahead of you. So even if you pull off what you consider to be the perfect crime, you've almost certainly left some evidence that can be traced directly back to you. Especially with computers, you should act almost like you're being watched at all times.