Hello fellow Cosmeranians

Archo

Currently I am working my way through Mistborn Era 2 and am really enjoying those books; about half way through Shadows of Self. These books seem a bit more whimsical and fun than Era 1 did, which I also immensely enjoyed, especially on my second read through. 

I would have to say, however, that Words Of Radiance would have to be my favorite book so far and the Stormlight Saga in general. I really enjoyed how much internal struggle the characters face in WoR, and I felt the pacing was the best out of the three. The one thing that challenges that for me is the discovery and pacing of Dalinar’s past in Oathbringer. I really enjoyed that aspect of that book. 

Going to attempt to get through Warbreaker and Elantris before RoW comes out, but quickly running out of time there 

38 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Welcome! Who's your favourite Sanderson character? 

I mean, Kaladin would have to be up there. He is such a badass. I think of Dalinar as being a bit like Guts from Berserk, so he certainly gets a vote. But I think I would have to go with Shallan, at least from the Stormlight books as my favorite. I love how broken she is and the struggles she experiences from her traumatic past. 

I also really enjoy Steris’ character. Really all the characters I have encountered in Era 2 I have really enjoyed. As I stated in an earlier comment. I really enjoy that this series is a bit more whimsical. 

I also finished Dawnshard yesterday and now that I am thinking about it, how can anyone not love The Lopen?

1 hour ago, Archo said:

Currently I am working my way through Mistborn Era 2 and am really enjoying those books; about half way through Shadows of Self. These books seem a bit more whimsical and fun than Era 1 did, which I also immensely enjoyed, especially on my second read through. 

I would have to say, however, that Words Of Radiance would have to be my favorite book so far and the Stormlight Saga in general. I really enjoyed how much internal struggle the characters face in WoR, and I felt the pacing was the best out of the three. The one thing that challenges that for me is the discovery and pacing of Dalinar’s past in Oathbringer. I really enjoyed that aspect of that book. 

Going to attempt to get through Warbreaker and Elantris before RoW comes out, but quickly running out of time there 

I love traumatized humans in SA! 

anyway, if you could make the most ridiculous gun in all the cosmere, how would it be made?

49 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

anyway, if you could make the most ridiculous gun in all the cosmere, how would it be made?

I don’t know about ridiculous, but I do have two ideas on firearms. 

I think it would be interesting to see some sort of “attuned” firearm in Scadrial that is also a hemalurgic spike. Maybe someone has some sort of weapon mounted on their forearms or something like that. 

On Roshar, I imagine that all the kids make Cremling guns. You know, it’s like a spud launcher but for cremlings. I certainly imagine the Dysian Aimians would not be fans

22 minutes ago, I Am A Fish said:

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

What's your favorite magic system?

I don’t have any experience (yet) outside Scadrial and Roshar, but if I had to pick between those two, I think I would go with the metallic arts. I like how definitive it is; that you are limited by the types of metals and but with the combination of allomancy and feruchemy (and hemalurgic) you have so many different variables. 

The Rosharan system is a bit too soft for my liking, but one thing I really do enjoy about it is the reliance on progression through personal introspection and growth

25 minutes ago, ThreadyBowl said:

Hello welcome! What’s your favourite format to enjoy the stories? Hardback, paperback, e-book, audiobook etc:)

Thank you for the welcome! Hardback first, then the sweet, comforting voices of Michael Kramer and Kate Reading for a second go through

25 minutes ago, The Storming Stormfather said:

Welcome, @Archo, to the 17th Shard. If you could Ascend as one of the Shards (living or dead), which would you pick?

With what I have read (mistborn, Stormlight), my current pick for shards would be Cultivation. In my mind, I am more on the side of creation than destruction, so Odium and Ruin don’t seem as appealing to me. I also love to build and grow things, so I think I would have a better connection to that shard than the others. 

Welcome the Shard Archo! So happy to have you join us! Excellent guesses, the scientific naming is actually Shardpeoplecosmeraniansshardiansmaximussharders but as Chasmgoat put we just use Sharders for brevity (entirely a joke lol it's just Sharders :P)

I so agree with you on the WoR favorite! I always love it because you really see the characters start to come into their roles and do big dawg stuff finally lol but you are super right the pacing is really perfect. Even more agree on OB too! :D Finding all the pieces of Dalinar's past was awesome!

And I believe in you on Warbreaker and Elantris! Just activate your super speed I mean c'mon :P And an audiobook lover to boot you are perfect for us! Out of all the Spren we have seen so far who would you most desire to have bonded you? Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the welcome @Scout_Fox! I’m going to try hard to get them done, I think I can manage warbreaker for sure, we shall see. 

As for the spren I would most want to bond, I don’t think I could handle something like Pattern; would freak me out way too much. I also don’t think I would fit quite so well into the wind runners, so Sil and her ilk I think are out for me. I think I would have to go for an inkspren/Ivory. Logic and knowledge, coupled with traveling and transformation: those are the things for me

You got it! At least get Warbreaker in there totally and then see if you got time!

Huh alright yeah I can totally see that Pattern could get a little creepy sometimes :P Alright and no Syl as well sounds like Ivory is the one for you (at least for now!). Those are most definitely some excellent surges to choose! Welcome again! :D