Jasnah and Hoid?

Vessel of Theory

1 hour ago, Debarra said:

Bi person here, no idea what you mean at all. Could you explain?

Ok, since I'm not a bisexual person I might have no storming idea of what I'm talking about, but I'm gonna run you on my experience on the subject. 

I read WoK WoR and OB(I'm a recently cooked fan) and I read Shallan as simply being straight. Then came here to the forums, read theories and WoBs and realized that many people had read her as bi. In retrospective I realized this made sense, but it was a PoV as valid a reading her hetero. There was no actual way to tell for sure wich was right, if you check WoBs Brandon himself didn't intend on writing her bi. Then on RoW previews we had that scene with Veil on the bar which read very bi to me, so I created a thread on this very forum on Shallan's bisexuality to see what people thought and some still didn't read her as bi( and this was still a valid view cause wandering how another woman's boobs feel doesn't make a woman bi) Until today any reader could have his/her personal view on Shallan's sexuality, but now they can't. It would be at least IMHO like saying " I'm sorry, I don't read them as a woman, I believe being a man fits the charachter better" She's bisexual, it's a fact, Brandon said so ( technichally he said something like She's coming more bisexual as I write her, but close enough) The problem is we only know this because of a post in reddit. If this is canon it should be on the books in a way everyone could read it. Let's retake my gender example: No one goes saying "Shallan is a man" becaues the books make it obvious that she's cisgender and identifies as a woman. The books should make it obvious that she is bisexual (not just drop subtle clues, obvious!) I'm not saying it should be a big matter or a main part of her personality ( couldn't be farther from what I'm saying) I just believe it should be referenced in a more explicit way. People who only read the books and don't come here or on Reddit and didn't notest the previouse references should know she's bi and people who read her as bi from the very beginning but aren't on the forums right now should get the explicit confirmation that we all enjoyed today. Drehy's sexuality got a few lines and Kal and Sygzil's reaction, why not Shallan's?

I don't know if any of this made sense, it's so late it's actually early in my country and I should be sleeping hours ago. I would love to hear what you think about this since I guess as a bi person you would have a better insinght( apollogies for possible poor spelling and/or typing, again it's late)

Edited by Shardsplinter

This WILL have some small spoilers for the book, specifically some things to do with Jasnah and her sexual identity.

I resisted this because I knew the only planned relationship I had for her was with a man, 

The fact that Jasnah's sexual identity is a small spoiler for the book as well as a planned relationship with a man leads me to believe Jasnah and Hoid may actually end up a thing. It's entirely possible from Hoid's end.

RiyriaMistborn

Has Hoid ever had a love interest?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes! Several!

General Signed Books 2018 (March 14, 2018)

Hoid is an archetype where pan is just makes more sense than not. Like you've been travelling the Cosmere for ten thousands years and met all kinds of people from all kinds of difference cultures who all have different ideas about gender, it starts making sense to care less and less about it.

And yeah, confirmation that he is intentionally writing Shallan as bi now. Like he's always written Shallan as bi, but it felt like he was doing it accidentally in WoK and WoR.

But anyway. This makes it less likely that Jasnah and Hoid are a thing, but doesn't actually prove it's not a thing. 

4 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

The fact that Jasnah's sexual identity is a small spoiler for the book as well as a planned relationship with a man leads me to believe Jasnah and Hoid may actually end up a thing. It's entirely possible from Hoid's end.

I think he was talking about

(WoKP spoilers)

Spoiler

Jasnah and Taln.

9 hours ago, Shardsplinter said:

As for me, I'll stick to hoping Hoid's pan. This is possible rigt? I'm not going crazy on this??

He is totally pan, I’m so with you there. 

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Hoid is an archetype where pan is just makes more sense than not. Like you've been travelling the Cosmere for ten thousands years and met all kinds of people from all kinds of difference cultures who all have different ideas about gender, it starts making sense to care less and less about it. 

Exactly! Also his “I’m collecting all the magic systems” just feels like such a pan thing to do, don’t ask me why :lol: 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:35 AM, Shardsplinter said:

I just believe it should be referenced in a more explicit way

I don't think this is going to happen. In that I think the best we're going to get is Shallan commenting on women (possibly when in another persona). My rational on this is because I doubt people on Roshar have a term for Bisexuality given that never once was the term Gay used when talking about Drehy and Dru.

I could maybe see Shallan crushing on some woman, and Adolin getting a bit jealous such that Shallan has to say something like "Adolin, I can find other women *attractive* without wanting to drop everything to pursue them." Which maybe if Sanderson wrote it, it wouldn't sound as forced to me.

Lastly, Sanderson is an author that gives a lot of information to his readers outside of the books. It sounds like he may have been able to weave in Jasnah's sexual orientation explicitly into the narrative, and just wanted to quell some comments a bit early by revealing it in this annotation. Similarly, he may not have been able to weave in Shallan's sexual orientation explicitly, and so wanted to confirm it in this same annotation. Given Sanderson's track record, that is basically as good as canon from the books.

21 hours ago, AonEne said:
On 11/3/2020 at 4:46 AM, Shardsplinter said:

As for me, I'll stick to hoping Hoid's pan. This is possible rigt? I'm not going crazy on this??

He is totally pan, I’m so with you there. 

23 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Exactly! Also his “I’m collecting all the magic systems” just feels like such a pan thing to do, don’t ask me why :lol: 

The only thing that holds me back from saying "yes, Hoid is absolutely pan" is that he's basically Sanderson's self insert (I say this with complete respect for Sanderson and love of Hoid) and Sanderson himself is straight, so I don't find it too likely it'll be canonized. But his archetype absolutely lends itself to pan, and as a headcanon I am fully here for it

8 hours ago, Govir said:

I don't think this is going to happen. In that I think the best we're going to get is Shallan commenting on women (possibly when in another persona). My rational on this is because I doubt people on Roshar have a term for Bisexuality given that never once was the term Gay used when talking about Drehy and Dru.

I could maybe see Shallan crushing on some woman, and Adolin getting a bit jealous such that Shallan has to say something like "Adolin, I can find other women *attractive* without wanting to drop everything to pursue them." Which maybe if Sanderson wrote it, it wouldn't sound as forced to me.

Lastly, Sanderson is an author that gives a lot of information to his readers outside of the books. It sounds like he may have been able to weave in Jasnah's sexual orientation explicitly into the narrative, and just wanted to quell some comments a bit early by revealing it in this annotation. Similarly, he may not have been able to weave in Shallan's sexual orientation explicitly, and so wanted to confirm it in this same annotation. Given Sanderson's track record, that is basically as good as canon from the books.

Drehy's sexuality was adressed in a direct way without the need to use the term gay like you said so yourself. I agree Rosharans probably don't have any terms for bisexuality either, but that doesn't keep them from being able to reference Shallan's sexuality in a more explicit way.

I actually agree that this being aproach explicitly is actually unlikely, but that doesn't change the fact that I would like for it to be. You might be unto something with your example. Adolin has been stated to be jealous and/or distrustful of Veil, so maybe we could get a scene with him being jelouse of a woman hence showing Shallan is bi in a more direct way.

Last but not least I love the fact that Brandon shares so much extra information about his worlds and magic systems( it's a big part of why the Shard is such an amazing place) I just don't think a charachter's sexual orientation should fall under that category.

2 hours ago, Debarra said:

Apologies for the long delay, college is nuts.

I get what you mean now, I thought you meant something else at first. Personally though I don't think there is really a need to have some big talk from Shallan about being Bi. I think scenes with Veil and such are sufficient. You still have people not reading Sarah Lance from Arrow and Elanor Shellstrop from the Good Place as bi. There just really isn't anything you can do to convince some people that a character is bi. 

No worries. I'm a college student myself and currentrly there's an Economy essay driving me nuts too ( I really shouldn't be on the Shard right now)

I think we just have different opinions on the matter and I believe that's ok.

It's probably a coincidence but I happen to be a TGP and Arrowverse fan. Sara Lance's bisexuality is extremely explicit on the show DC Legends of Tomorrow ( a spin-off), she has a girlfriend and it's the most beatiful healthy relationship on the show; so that's just people being blind ( really really blind) Eleanor on the other side, well, I have opinions in the matter and this is definitively not the place to adress them but this article here kind of sums up how I feel

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a30763385/the-good-place-bisexual-eleanor-queer-lgbtq/

If I got your point right then you don't agree with me or the article and again I believe that's ok.

I just feel like it's becoming a regular trope to show a charachter "kind of bi"( quoting Kristen Bell here), then canonizing it outside the story but never on the story, like if they wanted to live the possibility of that charachter being straight open to fans that don't want the charachter to be queer (maybe this is not at all what is happening, but this is how I'm perceiving it and it doesn't sound good to me and if this is a real trope and I'm not just making it up on my mind, then I wouldn't want Brandon-who I adore- to fall on it)

Tl;dr Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is Shallan's sexuality shouldn't be a way people read her charachter, should just be one more amoung the many other things we know about her ( not more or less important, simply one more)

PS: Sorry if I'm derailing this thread that shouldn't be about Shallan's bisexuality. It just seems that some  very helpful possitive conversation on the matter has naturally occur.  If a mod feels this is out of place there's actually a thread on the matter on this forum.

On 10/27/2020 at 0:47 PM, snoopy said:

Brandon has said that Hoid has had multiple love interests.  Why not Jasnah?

Hoid has said he is way too old for Shallan, but maybe Jasnah is old enough..

I think he could be talking about maturity more than physical age, because everyone is way too young for hoid besides shards and people like Kriss. Also, jasnah always acts like the only adult in the room, such as lecturing her mother when she was a child