Where do you see the shard in 20 years?

Chasmgoat

as the title suggests, where do you see the shard in 20 years (or just in the future)

do you see it as still active? or do you think it will die? Do you think that popular sharders will still be on? or that they will be too busy and their children will be on? Do you think alleyverse and other RP's will survive?

I am just curious.

2 minutes ago, Condensation said:

It will totally be active! I think that popular Sharders will have decreased in activity but they'll still be on. Their children will likely be on as well. Some RPs will survive, others won't.

Agreed. So long as Sanderson is popular this site will continue to exist.

I have no idea where I will be in 20 years. Some sharders will leave, others will stay, others will die, an others will randomly decide that they absolutely hate Brandon Sanderson and leave after telling everyone how absolutely awful his latest books have become. (And maybe we'll stop joking about stick.) (Also, there will probably be a lot more arguments about which character is the best).

20 years is a long time, so I honestly can’t say. The Shard’s seen a lot of change even over the one year I’ve been here. The site may still be active, or maybe people have moved elsewhere. If it remains active, it’ll probably be filled with completely different people, and everyone that’s active now will be considered to be old Sharders by then. TLT and TLPW might still be alive, and who knows what will happen to the various RPs.

I think that Brandon will almost definitely still be writing books in 20 years, so I definitely think the Shard will still exist and be just as active as it is now, if not more so. 

I think a lot of people will have gone inactive, probably me being one of them. I’ll still definitely be reading his books in 20 years, but I doubt I’ll be on here to talk about them. I bet a ton of the Site Staff will have changed too.

I don’t think that any RP that exists right now will survive that long. Not a single one. 

I bet the site will have a lot more rules, or be enforcing those rules a lot more. I think the site will almost definitely grow, Sanderson will have written a lot more books, and the fanbase would grow consequently. One result of having a larger fanbase is having more ‘bad eggs’, so to speak. So there will probably be some more rules to compensate. 

And finally, the 100,000th post wins thread will be about halfway to its goal. 

9 hours ago, Condensation said:

It will totally be active! I think that popular Sharders will have decreased in activity but they'll still be on. Their children will likely be on as well. Some RPs will survive, others won't.

Yeah. I think, some of the originals like the Fellowship will survive but others won’t.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

I honestly think that the shard will just be an old program lying around defunct servers in the wasteland left after humans kill themselves off.

...I can’t decide if you’re joking or not. 

I have no idea where I’ll be in twenty years, so I have no idea if I’ll still be on the shard in twenty years. Some people might remain, many will go. We will see a large influx of more members, after more and more books are released. I do predict that some theories made now still won’t be resolved in twenty years. Brandon seems to enjoy keeping secrets until the grand reveal. 

Edited by Innovation

5 hours ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

Yeah. I think, some of the originals like the Fellowship will survive but others won’t.

Yep.

Of all the RPs we have, Sanderson Elimination, Reckoners, the Alleyverse, none of those made the list

But you know the real original? Definitely, 100%, without a doubt, the four-month old Fellowship. Mhm.

in 20 years, all humans will be dead and an alien race will find the shard. TLT will either become a religious text or a history of humans. The yay will become a huge religion. the various RP's will be thought of as historical documents and the sharders will be regarded as the world leaders, they will study every post with intense delicacy. just my theory.

13 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

in 20 years, all humans will be dead and an alien race will find the shard. TLT will either become a religious text or a history of humans. The yay will become a huge religion. the various RP's will be thought of as historical documents and the sharders will be regarded as the world leaders, they will study every post with intense delicacy. just my theory.

Exactly. This is so true.