The Fellowship of the Thing-Other Stories

Negative_Null

Spotting the broken-down laboratory up ahead, Ayia curves her Line upwards, skating along it until she reached the end, at which point she hopped off. The Line shot back up her sleeve, and Ayia took both her metal rods, placing the ends together and attaching them to each other. She held on with both arms until she was a good ten feet off the ground, at which point she Stabalized the rod; it held still by itself in the air, and she swung in a full arc around it, breaking her momentum before she fell again, casting her Line down and sliding down it like a pole.

Chrysler waited until Ashley arrived at the end of the trail, then stepped off the path, abruptly returning to normal speed. She kneels down and touches the edge of the path, then says a word meaning "Come"

The dust's glow stops and most of it, about 80%, lifts up off the ground and flows towards her hand, where she catches it in the bag it came from.

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Spotting the broken-down laboratory up ahead, Ayia curves her Line upwards, skating along it until she reached the end, at which point she hopped off. The Line shot back up her sleeve, and Ayia took both her metal rods, placing the ends together and attaching them to each other. She held on with both arms until she was a good ten feet off the ground, at which point she Stabalized the rod; it held still by itself in the air, and she swung in a full arc around it, breaking her momentum before she fell again, casting her Line down and sliding down it like a pole.

Something was very clearly wrong about the laboratory.

It wasn't that pieces of the roof had been mysteriously removed.

It wasn't that something seemed to be moving inside. Or maybe multiple somethings.

It wasn't even that the whole place was totally and utterly silent. No - although all of those things were true, it wasn't any of them that immediately struck the watchers.

Because the laboratory - and the desert surrounding it - were completely and utterly devoid of color. Nothing more than a black and white outline remained, like a empty picture in a child's coloring book.

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Something was very clearly wrong about the laboratory.

It wasn't that pieces of the roof had been mysteriously removed.

It wasn't that something seemed to be moving inside. Or maybe multiple somethings.

It wasn't even that the whole place was totally and utterly silent. No - although all of those things were true, it wasn't any of them that immediately struck the watchers.

Because the laboratory - and the desert surrounding it - were completely and utterly devoid of color. Nothing more than a black and white outline remained, like a empty picture in a child's coloring book.

Oooh, like Paper Mario!

Ayia frowns. "What happened to this place?"

10 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Ayia frowns. "What happened to this place?"

10 hours ago, Condensation said:

Andante gasped. "What could do this?"

10 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

"Not quite what I was expecting... I was expecting another one of those monsters."

"Dyrling beasts are varied and mysterious," said Ashley, coming to a stop besides them. "And almost always unique."

45 minutes ago, Condensation said:

"Dyrling beasts, okay. So are we going in?"

43 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Yes. I... know what those are."

"That depends on whether or not you feel confident of your survival," said Ashley. "We know practically nothing about this dyrling at the moment. It may serve us well to do reconnaissance."

3 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"That depends on whether or not you feel confident of your survival," said Ashley. "We know practically nothing about this dyrling at the moment. It may serve us well to do reconnaissance."

Andante wrung her hands. "Yeah, sorry. I'm just... out of my comfort zone."

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

Andante wrung her hands. "Yeah, sorry. I'm just... out of my comfort zone."

Careful, thought Ashley. You need their help.

She gave Andante a (hopefully) reassuring smile. "It's the first time I've ever been attacked by a color-stealing dyrling," she said. "I suppose I'm a little out of my comfort zone, too."

1 minute ago, xinoehp512 said:

Careful, thought Ashley. You need their help.

She gave Andante a (hopefully) reassuring smile. "It's the first time I've ever been attacked by a color-stealing dyrling," she said. "I suppose I'm a little out of my comfort zone, too."

Andante smiled back. "Well, at least you know what we should start with. Are there any cameras inside the lab?"

11 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

"Why so we want to avoid it, again? I thought the point was killing the monsters"

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"That's right. Let's get punching!"

"If you feel confident in your survival, feel free," said Ashley. "Although you may want to learn the layout first. I can tell you at least that much."

14 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"If you feel confident in your survival, feel free," said Ashley. "Although you may want to learn the layout first. I can tell you at least that much."

"Ok, that's actually a good point. Would you mind helping us out with that?"