Cosmere Predictions for Chapter 15

honorblades

Brandon said this in his Chapter 13 annotation: 

This chapter is one of those that illustrates this new philosophy on my part--the "let them mix, but try to do it in a way that doesn't undermine the integrity of the series" philosophy. We'll see how well I manage it. FYI, Chapter Fifteen goes even a little further in this area than this chapter did. (Though don't expect full-blown cross-contamination between the series until the space age Cosmere era, which is still a ways off.)

What does everyone think “going further” will entail? Another chapter featuring Mraize? Or perhaps someone else? Personally, I am really hoping we get a new worldhopper introduced in this book. 

Here is the reddit link for anyone who wants to read the full annotation

10 minutes ago, lightweaver spy said:

What does everyone think “going further” will entail? Another chapter featuring Mraize? Or perhaps someone else? Personally, I am really hoping we get a new worldhopper introduced in this book. 

I personally hope Azure shows up again.  It is about time.

20 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I'm hoping for something like Atium to show up on screen, but (obviously) not be useable... Unless Navani gets her hands on it and makes a fabrial cage for science.

Luckily, we do have two worldhoppers on Roshar that would know how to get atium, one of whom can also use it... This may be more likely than it at first seems 

4 hours ago, Karger said:

I personally hope Azure shows up again.  It is about time.

That would be nice. Perhaps Azure drops by Urithiru for a visit and get's noticed by Kal. He's going to wonder how she got there and she will disappear before he can notice her. A Veil and Azure confrontation now that could get interesting!!

3 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

That would be nice. Perhaps Azure drops by Urithiru for a visit and get's noticed by Kal. He's going to wonder how she got there and she will disappear before he can notice her. A Veil and Azure confrontation now that could get interesting!!

Or maybe she will grab Shallan and the two will compare notes.

5 hours ago, lightweaver spy said:

Brandon said this in his Chapter 13 annotation: 

What does everyone think “going further” will entail?

Maybe Zahel will partially come out as a worldhopper and a kind of unconventional artifabrian/investiture expert? There is this very tantalising WoB about him:

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

See, I like science, because you can be wrong with science. In SA4, you will have a character...a scientist..who appeared in the book we're talking about, talk about some of the things he got wrong.

Footnote: This was during the Warbreaker 10th Anniversary panel.
DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 29, 2019)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/394/#e12916

and Shallan should have put 2 and 2 together about Azure and him, now that she knows a bit about the cosmere. As to Azure herself, I expect that she is stuck in Lasting Integrity and the younger Kholin couple will run into her during their mission to Shadesmar.

Edited by Isilel

I suppose before you start an expedition into Shadesmar you will at least talk to Jasnah. She is too obvious a source of information to ignore. Or you'd talk to Wit, too. Or even to the Stormfather. Or Nightblood. Or even Sja-Anat.

15 minutes ago, Isilel said:

Maybe Zahel will partially come out as a worldhopper and a kind of unconventional artifabrian/investiture expert? There is this very tantalising WoB about him:

Right then and there? That is a bit much of a coincidence.

7 hours ago, lightweaver spy said:

Luckily, we do have two worldhoppers on Roshar that would know how to get atium, one of whom can also use it... This may be more likely than it at first seems 

Two? Felt, Hoid, the Feruchemist in the prologue, and a maybe Kandra briefly glimpsed in an earlier book? Also Demoux, if he’s still on the planet. That’s at least two burners, and four, possibly five, who know about it.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

So, by 'going further', does he mean 'introduce the Cosmere as a concept' or 'letting different series mix'?

The difference between the two things is whether we're looking at a 'exposition about about travelling to other planets via perpendicularity, in general terms' kind of thing or a 'exposition about Azure's powers' kind of thing. 

I think it’s the first one, more info about the Cosmere. Azure/Vasher/Nightblood haven’t appeared at all yet in RoW, and IMO if they were going to be important in RoW they would have at least had namedrops or cameos by now.

Guest Parallax

From today's post-annotations Q&A on reddit:

Q. [W]ill Zahel be in the book at all, whether he's just being grouchy or doing something cosmere relevant?

A. Ask that question again next week. :)

Edited by Parallax

On 10/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, Cheat Commando said:

I certainly hope it's Zahel. I was extremely disappointed not to see him in Oathbringer.

He's in Oathbringer.  Just not for very long.  In fact, I think that's the first time we see him interact with Dalinar.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:52 PM, Isilel said:

Maybe Zahel will partially come out as a worldhopper and a kind of unconventional artifabrian/investiture expert?...and Shallan should have put 2 and 2 together about Azure and him, now that she knows a bit about the cosmere. As to Azure herself, I expect that she is stuck in Lasting Integrity and the younger Kholin couple will run into her during their mission to Shadesmar.

When the Shadesmar 6 leave the honorspren ship, Azure flat out tells Kaladin to tell Zahel she's looking for him.  Since she's also told them she's not from Roshar and came looking for someone, they have an awful lot of evidence that Zahel isn't just a swordmaster ardent.  Now, whether that's the most important thing they've had to deal with in the last year during the gap between Oathbringer and Rhythm of War?  Very, very unlikely.