So as of RoW...

Szeth has been in jail for a year.

Szeth has a freaky black sword.

Unless they're real lenient in Urithiru prisons, Szeth was probably not allowed to keep his freaky black sword with him.

Therefore: a) where is Nightblood now? and 2) how likely is it that Zahel knows? and III) what is he going/planning to do? If he didn't do it already.

Nightblood talked about Vasher, Vivenna and Shashara, Szeth assumed the last one was another name for Shalash, but given that Shalash is also at Urithiru, it's possible it's been confirmed that Shalash is not Shashara. Nightblood's power was witnessed by not just Odium's forces and the Skybreakers, but Lift as well, and Szeth himself likely told everything to the Coalition, but even if Szeth for some reason hadn't divulged it, Lift probably did. Vivenna never revealed her true name, but it's slightly more easier to connect Vivenna and Azure, as she did tell the group that she was hunting a criminal and a... criminal sword. The swordmaster thing she mentions to Adolin and Kaladin might cause them to wonder about Zahel...  

Szeth could have also put nightblood somewhere for safekeeping before he went to prison... or he just walked in to a cell and sat down but none of the guards are brave enough to actually face a full skybreaker with a sword that turns people into smoke.

My guess is that as soon as Zahel heard about Szeth's sword, he ran right out of Urithiru. He very much seems to want to distance himself from his past and likely knows that Vivenna is looking for Nightblood. If Zahel had stuck around and team Radiant got him to divulge some of the information he has, I would think Shallan would know how to pronounce Nalthis. 

8 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

My guess is that as soon as Zahel heard about Szeth's sword, he ran right out of Urithiru. He very much seems to want to distance himself from his past and likely knows that Vivenna is looking for Nightblood. If Zahel had stuck around and team Radiant got him to divulge some of the information he has, I would think Shallan would know how to pronounce Nalthis. 

Dalinar would love losing his sword master I'm sure. Szeth may actually be closed lipped about his sword's lack of spren talking. I would not be surprised if Szeth presented him to Dalinar when Dalinar ordered Szeth into prison. Dalinar might have an interesting time holding it. He likely keeps it under lock and key. After losing the honorblade he would take no chances.

9 minutes ago, leester1478 said:

@Necessary Eagle

What's the basis for Szeth being in prison? It makes sense that he would be, obviously, but as far as I know the last time he was mentioned was at the end of Oathbringer, chilling outside of Dalinar's door.

I think Brandon said that he's in prison when someone asked about Szeth after OB. 

16 hours ago, leester1478 said:

@Necessary Eagle

What's the basis for Szeth being in prison? It makes sense that he would be, obviously, but as far as I know the last time he was mentioned was at the end of Oathbringer, chilling outside of Dalinar's door.

It's safe to assume that the vast majority of the coalition would not be happy about Szeth not facing any consequences for his actions. Since it would be a bad idea to execute a Radiant when they are needed for the current war, prison is one alternative. 

He's too valuable with his knowledge of the honorblades and how the surges work to kill him. 

I was just listening to Brandon's livestream, which is here, and he answered a question about Vasher and Vivenna, saying we'll see one of them, and a reference to the other, in a book coming out this November.

We might see one of them in two chapters, as Tor is releasing them, he goes on to say, smirking, and moves on to the next question.

So, that means we're seeing Vasher. No chance it's Vivenna, given we last saw her in Shadesmar, staying in Shadesmar, refusing to go with our heroes back to the Physical Realm. Vasher is in Urithiru, or was, and we'll see him before the book is released. Probably from Kaladin's viewpoint, but I'm hoping for Navani and Dalinar, and will settle for Shallan.

Not sure if two chapters meant chapter 15, two chapters from now, or two different chapters.

Edited by Rainier
Link

On 9/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, Necessary Eagle said:

So as of RoW...

Szeth has been in jail for a year.

Szeth has a freaky black sword.

Unless they're real lenient in Urithiru prisons, Szeth was probably not allowed to keep his freaky black sword with him.

Therefore: a) where is Nightblood now? and 2) how likely is it that Zahel knows? and III) what is he going/planning to do? If he didn't do it already.

I'm sorry, but how do we know that Szeth is in prison?

Is it mentioned in the chapters and I missed it, or is there a WoB?

From the annotations Brandon wrote for ch 14:

Thank you so much for this, really looking forward to Dawnshard and RoW! If you don't mind me asking, will Zahel be in the book at all, whether he's just being grouchy or doing something cosmere relevant?

Ask that question again next week. :)

11 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

So Nightblood is common knowledge (at least, that he exists), and Vasher's all, "not my monkey, not my circus". Still would like to know where NB is now.

I have a gut feeling that he's in prison with Szeth. Perhaps not within reach, but not far from him.